“Fantastic place to celebrate our anniversary.”

Best Western Agate Beach Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Albany, OR
“Fantastic place to celebrate our anniversary.”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed Mother's Day weekend. The front desk staff was friendly from booking to checkout. The bar staff you had to go looking for them most of the time to place an order but they were professional when approached (not overly friendly) which was just fine with us. We had a fantastic view from our ocean front room, a great dinner while watching the sunset, a short walk to the beach, and the kids in the pool were easily evicted after 10pm after a quick phone call. The pool and hot tub after a long day of exploring was relaxing and we thought it was kept up place.

We will definitely stay again and bring the family!

Room Tip: Don't skimp, get the Ocean front room.
2 Thank awatts
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us! I am so glad that you had a great anniversary, I appreciate you letting me about the bartendar so I can follow up on this. They have a long way to go to get food so not sure if that was the problelm or not I do apologize. We hope that you will come and stay with us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Hawaii
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I was very impressed by this property. It is an older well kept property with updates in process. I was there for a large family gathering with my 3 brothers and their families. We had 4 rooms and the Hospitality room. Three of us on the 6th floor and one family on the 2nd in an ADA room. I was on one end of the adjoining hospitality suite and another family member in the other adjoining room. We had a great time. The hotel more then sufficiently worked for all of us. There were 14 of us in the entire party. The adults and kids loved the pool and spa, the short walk to the beach, the gorgeous view from the rooms. The staff were very friendly and helpful. One of my brothers brought his dog. Pet friendly!!! The Starfish Grill (in hotel) was great for any meal. There was complimentary coffee and tea served all day in the lobby. I felt the price of the oceanview rooms was very acceptable. We were all happy with our stay at this hotel and would go back again and again..

Room Tip: I had room 612 and found the view incredible. Close to upper parking and the elevator yet far enough...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank rosebolton
Sounds like your family had a great time! We welcome large families to come and stay with us! We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments about our hotel. Thank you!
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I read reviews saying this place was outdated. My only complaint was the bathroom was very small, and the heater was something out of the 60's. I was surprised to learn that a room with an ocean view was more money. We originally booked the room online for $104 (not incl. tax), but when I arrived and asked for a room with an ocean view, the front-desk rep said it would cost $131. Oh well. It was worth it. Beautiful view from our 5th floor room. The hotel is very nice, and if I remember right, it used be be a Hilton Hotel. Spacious room and free internet made our stay even more enjoyable. Room is equipped with microwave; refrigerator, and coffee maker. The beach is within walking distance, and you're within a short distance from town and the movie theater. We had a good time and would stay here again. We took pictures of our room #516. Hope this helped.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view. You pay more, but it's worth it.
2 Thank UScardinal
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and the pictures are nice as well, We are glad that you had a nice time staying with us and hope to see you again soon!
Coquille, Oregon
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Staff was efficient and friendly. Very pet friendly. The sixth floor offerred easy access for dog walking across the bridge to the upper parking lot. The ocean view, including the lighthouse in the distance was absolutely gorgeous.

If I really had to search for something negative, I'd say that the placement for the bathroom door is a wee bit weird. The bathroom isn't huge and the door opens into the bathroom, so you have to maneuver around it to do anything - even just to close it. But overall that was a very minor inconvenience.

Who had time to watch TV with that spectacular view from the window.

The in house restaurant was excellent, but I plan to do a separate review of it.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view on the top floor for best views and easy dog-walk access. I know that's co...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Gunta14
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, The view is very pretty here and I am very fortunate to see it everyday! Thank you for your review.
Sutherlin, Oregon
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The hotel looked nice and modernized from the outside, staff was super friendly, but i wasnt too happy when i had an extra charge for $50 and they failed to tell me it was a like a security "hold". The rooms, mostly the bathrooms need updating. Seriously, there is like 3 inches between the toliet and door. The lighting is horrible for us women getting ready...pretty low light. But the beds were so comfy! The comforter was something to be desired... It was just a thick blanket wrapped in white sheets. Don't get me wrong, it was a great room, great amenities, perfect temperature pool and hot tub ( which for whatever reason is difficult for hotels...the water is either scalding hot or freezing beyond use) . The view was wonderful!! You are right on the edge of Agate beach and a quick walk to the beach down a path. After pointing out goods and bads, I think we would definitely go back.

2 Thank Amber V
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for your review, I am sorry you were not told about the $50.00 security hold that when you check out goes toward the final charge of your stay or is released. We do have some plans to do some interior upgrading which I can't wait! Just not sure how soon this will happen. I do wish our bathrooms were larger being a women I know what you mean! I am very happy to hear that with the goods and the bads you would come back so we look forward to seeing you again!
Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

Rooms ok, heat is so-so. no temp controlled - its on/off. bathroom design sub par....No room for knees in the W/C ...if u know what I mean.

• Stayed May 2012
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for your review of our Hotel, I am very sorry about the problem with the bathroom, We do hope that you did enjoy your stay with us and will come back and stay with us again.
Astoria, Oregon
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Dissapointed that all the channels were fuzzy and no HBO. Also lacking in a good place to take dogs outside, though its listed as pet OK. Rooms and hotel pretty dated with small bathrooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BLonghorn
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Thank you for your review, I am sorry you were dissapointed with the TV, Did you let our staff know so that we could have fixed the problem or moved you? Yes we are a older hotel but strive to maintain and keep clean, We are hoping to do some upgrades soon! We hope that you will come back and stay with us again.