“Beauty and the Sea”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Corvallis, United States
“Beauty and the Sea”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Views, Value and Victorious Vacations. We had a fantastic stay at Best Western Agate Beach. From the service at breakfast, to the roar of the waves to lull you to sleep, you will not regret one minute of your stay here. The food at Starfish Grill is excellent, the room and beds are most comfortable. The staff is eager to make your stay perfect. There are no losers here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Raedene F,

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us it sounds like it was perfect and that is what we would like to have all of our guests say when they leave. I hope that you and your family will come stay with us again soon. Thank you for your review.
Judy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Ensenada, Mexico
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Wonderful, helpful staff, beautiful views of the oregon coast. Great location for sightseeing lighthouses. Great restaurant in premises, indoor pool, fitness center, wi fi. Convenient refrigerator and microwave in room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Eloisa T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff very helpful, I appreciated your email saying that hopefully we would be a destination for you next time. We hope to see you soon!
Judy
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Beautiful curb appeal and when we got out of the car to go in and register, the ocean scented breeze was awesome (that's the kind of thing you say when you live in central Arizona!!). Though our initial impression of the hotel was "like a resort," that impression didn't hold up on closer scrutiny…nothing bad…just not a resort. Because we would be staying just one night, we chose not to pay the extra $$ for an ocean view room and instead, stayed on the beach itself until almost dark and it was time to go inside. (But not until lots of sunset photos had been taken.) We had dinner at the onsite restaurant which has a nice view of the ocean and had the windows been clean we could have taken photos from our table. Our dinner was nice but my expectations were higher. When we got to the restaurant we waited 15 minutes for a host/hostess to greet and seat us…we ended out picking up two menus from behind the host station and walking in. Only two tables had seated guests so it didn't take long to figure out the delay in being greeted was slim staffing. Don't know how to rate the food but my salmon was cooked perfectly while the salad it was served with was wilted (mixed greens from a sack). The indoor pool did smell of heavy chlorine and dampness but it sparkled. The fitness room was small with minimal equipment (i.e., one treadmill, one elliptical, one bench, etc.) but it did have a full length window that faced the beach. Our N/S King room on the first floor had been recently renovated giving it a fresh look and the bathroom was very clean. Our window looked out over the parking lot which saved us some privacy when we had to open it and the blinds to let in cooler air. A complimentary breakfast is not offered but they do have carafes of fresh coffee in the lobby.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioning at this property. I imagine not a problem most of the time but we were...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SandJDC72
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
SandJDC72,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review on our hotel, I was very discourage to hear of your dining experience and will follow up on this. I do hope you will come and stay with us again and stay in an ocean view room.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I made reservations for Thanksgiving 2014 through the Best Western online and phone system but needed to call the property directly to ask about their Thanksgiving buffet that was last reviewed in 2011. Yes, they have a buffet served from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., $21.95 for adults; $17.95 for seniors 65+, and reservations taken about a month prior. Unlike many Best Westerns, there is no complimentary breakfast.

The receptionist who answered the phone on site was extremely helpful. We were unable to specify an ocean view room online nor ask for a pet-friendly room but was able to do so over the phone. We also needed a non-pet ocean view room for other family members allergic to cats and dogs and was informed that although the carpets had been replaced a year ago and were cleaned regularly, a pet room might have had cats or dogs.

My family has visited Agate Beach at the base of the hill on which this hotel is located, and I commented that I chose the property because it was more likely out of the tsunami zone. The staff person said they have a tsunami alert and evacuation plan through their sixth floor sky bridge to the parking lot and farther up the hill. We discussed how we both grew up on the Oregon coast and hadn't given tsunamis a second thought until the 2005 disaster in Indonesia.

Ann Kirby,

I am very pleased to learn that you will be staying with us during the Thanksgiving time. We do have a wonderful buffet on Thanksgiving day with all the trimmings. Chef has not prepared the menu as of yet but I am sure it will be great! I was also very happy to hear that our desk clerks were helpful in getting your reservations taken care of. We look forward to your visit.
Phoenix, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The room was nice, great view. Updated but small bathroom that you can hardly turn around in. WiFi was not 100% stable and NO free breakfast. The discounted breakfast was decent but I feel like they could do better considering what I paid per night.

Camille C,

I appreciate your review of our hotel, It sounds like you had a couple of things that disappointed your stay with us. However I assume that you did enjoy your stay. Thank you!
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I travel to Newport quite regularly and used to stay at the Hallmark until I discovered the BW Agate. Great views, quiet, but still close enough to the town to be convenient. Walking distance to walmart. Rooms are nice, views are great, food in the restaurant is tasty. I've stayed 4 or 5 times now and will continue to.

Room Tip: Spring for the ocean view...It's worth it
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Mike T,

That is great news about you staying with us, I agree the best rooms are the ocean view. I appreciate you taking the time to write your review.
Indiana, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Grew up with Best Western being more like a Motel 6. I was surprised by the quality and really like the fact that they have queen and not double beds. It was a true three star hotel and experience. Great courtyard and breakfast, too.

Marcus W,

I am glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by your stay with us. Best Western's have come along way. I hope that you will come stay with us again. Thank you for your review.