“Great Place on the Oregon Coast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Whaler

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
The Whaler
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Plano, Texas
“Great Place on the Oregon Coast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I live out of state and we were dying to get back to the beautiful beaches of the Oregon Coast. I found the Whaler Motel online and knew we would be stopping in Newport for a few days on our trip. The Whaler turned out to be our favorite place during our whole visit to the coast. The motel staff was very professional and courteous, the room was spotless and the view fantastic. Great location in Newport. We will definitely be back on our next trip.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Burns, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

everyone was pleasant and cooperated when I ask for places to go and things to see. The room was comfortable and clean. The ocean was and beach was right across the road for easy access. I have referred my friends to The Whaler and none have ben disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Newport, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Having been a resident of Newport for my entire life there have been several occasions when we had an overflow of friends and family. For years we sent them to The Whaler. Never have any of them been disappointed! Just a walk across the street to the great Pacific Ocean....beautiful beaches in sun or storm! Nice views from the pet friendly rooms. They also have a pool. Our friends and family have returned to The Whaler many times. Some discounts available. The Whaler also has larger family homes available right on the cliff of the beach!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Not impressed at all. Rooms are ok and just that. OK. You are a crossed the road from the main beach entrance so it is non stop traffic going by until late at night. The rooms are hot even when it is 30 degrees outside. You can not put your feet up on the balcony and have a cigar or "they will fine you 250 bucks and give you the boot day or night". If I would have known that I couldn't even put my feet up and relax on the balcony I never would have made reservations. I have always stayed at the Hallmark down the street and was definitely reminded on this trip why. I would highly recommend staying somewhere else for 140+ a night such as the Hallmark right down the road.

Room Tip: Visit a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nick D
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

We ultimately chose this motel for allowing pets (we have 3 dogs) but also for it's prime unobstructed views of the ocean - which enabled me to take take beautiful sunset pictures & video. The rooms are dated but that's about the only complaint as it is in a very quiet area and close (2 minutes) to the boardwalk that goes down to the beach.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HallZee
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Room was nice and so was view. In the morning and at noon it poured rain into my bathroom through the light fixture when the people upstairs used the shower. They better fix it fast. I liked that the balcony's were private. Bed was okay, but pillows were too small and not much support. Don't bother trying to get oatmeal in the morning if there is a crowd in there because everything to make your oatmeal is spread out and too many people were in the way of everything I needed. Even though I was in there first people came in like they were starved to death and gonna miss out on the food. Everything was in a different spot as far as the oatmeal, water, microwave, sugar, milk. I finally gave up when nobody would let me get to anything. I would stay here again for the view and in a room that doesn't have water pouring in, otherwise room was nice. Didn't even notice where they had juice in the breakfast that would have been nice if I saw it before the crowd rushed in. The younger woman at customer service were okay. Didn't care for the older woman there for different reasons.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Diane W
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Highly recommend the Whaler, especially the newer rooms at the north end of the complex. Ocean views at it's best and close to the beach. Price is great for the winter special tops other offers nearby. The staff is over-the-top friendly and accommodating. We looked at different rooms and the willingly facilitated our decision making to get what we desired. I've traveled a lot and you can expect excellent service at the Whaler. The north end of the building ground floor is the economical option for a larger room and a open view to the sea.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple