“Still Memorable”

Stone Crest Cellars Italian Restaurant & Wine Tasting Bar
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Italian with a Mediterranean flare using local and fresh NW products. Wine Tasting & Wine flights, nightly specials & desserts.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I've been here now 6 or more times. We've mostly stuck to seafood entrees (always involving prawns) and not been disappointed, and we've been in a few times and just had starters, wine, and sometimes a dessert. Always enjoy ourselves here, and the staff is unfailingly friendy, helpful, and efficient.

Tonight we went in expecting to stick to wine and starters and finishing off with the flourless chocolate torte. But when we heard the description of a nightly special entree with prawns and scallops with mashed potatoes, we threw out the plan and never looked back! We shared the bread and mushroom spread (love it, but just maybe it would be even better with warm bread?) and each had wine, then we shared the entree of prawns, scallops, etc. (DELICIOUS).

To our disappointment, they did not have the chocolate torte tonight, or any chocolate dessert, but our lovely server described the cheesecake with caramelized brulee topping (I'm sure I'm describing this poorly) so well that we had to try it, and it was great. The cheesecake part was fluffy and light and warm, and the whip and berry drizzle were delightful (so much so that I wanted more of it!). Really nice, guys. We'll be back.

1  Thank cara g

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The combination of Denai in the front of the house and Cliff in the back creates a wonderful and reasonably priced experience. The sauces, specials and the home made desserts(especially key lime pie and cheesecakes) are always over the top. One of the top restaurants on the Oregon coast, do not judge by the outward appearance .

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I read another review that gave this place a poor rating, and wondered if we were talking about the same place.
As locals, my wife and I were delighted to find this place tucked in an obscure corner of town. the space was tight, yes, but well-decorated, and our only complaint (that we've had with several places) is that the noise level is 'echo-y'. This makes casual conversation a little tricky between two people with bad hearing.
However, the service was the sharpest we've had here in Newport, which as a town, does not have a reputation for class A dining, shall we say. While their focus is wine (it's also a wine bar) the menu was compact but creative, and the prices were quite modest. And the tiramisu was killer!
Next time, we'll skip the creative wine ensembles (again, this is a wing of a local winery) and go with a product that we just know will be good.
Our server (sorry, guy, I forgot your name already) was a champ and easy to talk with. And how many places do you get to thank the chef personally for the meal? I clicked 'no' under 'is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant', but don't take that as a critical. I've eaten LOTS of meals at some very high-eateries, and I still have flashbacks about some of them. This place gets high marks from me for the total package..price, atmosphere, service, taste.

5  Thank Kathy H
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We are visiting from NY. I love wine and we both love Italian food. All of the wait staff were professional, attentive and friendly. We met the Chef and he is from NY and he sat and chatted with us. I did the tasting and it gave me a way to taste some wine from Oregon. We loved the bread and spread. We had a Cesar salad that was very tasty. We both had the eggplant parm. It was great. The desert was to die for. They made us feel welcome and served us great food. What else could you ask for?

1  Thank Jeanne M
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Arrived at the restaurant Friday night for our 7:30pm reservation. The place was empty only three tables being used of about 15. Proceeded to be seated in a tight corner table for 2 with one of the seats facing a wall, and our menus placed in front of us....both upside down. We were brought out some mush on a plate and some stale looking dried up French bread and told by a surly young lady that our waitress would be with us shortly. Within seconds our waitress arrived and then launched into the full scale wine selling mode....spend $5.oo get tastings then if you by a bottle this is discounted or get 3 half glasses of some other wine for $15.00....I'm sure it all makes sense but it was overload for me......I interrupted the wine pitch and asked if they were fully booked and expecting more tables and was told no, I then added why would you seat to big guys one is 6'4 in a cramped little table for 2 when so many nicer tables were available....and was told 2 people get a table for 2 and that was their policy as they get so busy....so I added again...are you expecting to be busy....answer was last seating was at 8:30 and they had no other reservations. At that point the light went on and was told if we wanted to move we could....by this point I really am over the experience and decided things were just not jelling for me and we decided that we would leave....wish I could say something about the food but never got that far. Friday night in high summer in a tourist town and 3 tables filled...maybe a bad night but could be a sign of things to come....no second chance for this place from me with so many other options.

6  Thank Trev D

Travellers who viewed Stone Crest Cellars Italian Restaurant & Wine Tasting Bar also viewed