“Portions Are Generous”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Kudos for our server, Susannah. The Tuscany vegetarian sandwich, oyster po' boy sandwich soup de jour were all very good. Caution, the portions are large so ease off on your order. It can always be supplemented which is better than leaving a plateful of uneaten food.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The corner table in the Garden Room provided a wonderful view of Newport Harbor. I suggested this spot to meet a high school friend I hadn't seen for forty-five years for lunch. Just the month before a friend had practically licked the plate enjoying the angel hair onion rings, so I felt safe in recommending them. My friend and her husband enjoyed them immensely and I had a few even though they weren't on my diet. It was worth every taste! The Creole mayonnaise adds to the taste treat. Though it might be a bit warm for some tastes.

To behave myself for the rest of the meal and satisfy my Greek food craving, I had the Greek Chicken Sandwich. The crispy romaine and tomato didn't count for Weight Watchers and the grilled chicken was within my point limit. The feta cheese grilled in olive oil was delectable and not over the top point-wise.

Seeing what's new in the bookstore is the icing on the cake.....so to speak!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This has always been an above average restaurant, and though I have not been there for several years, I was somewhat taken aback by the fish and chips. As one would expect when dining out in a coastal fishing community, the fresh cod in the fish and chips was very good, but the chips were abysmal! Flaccid and greasy are the two words that come to mind. It is not often I think something superior can be bought at McDonalds, but these chips were that bad. These chips needed to be cooked longer and drained of excess oil, perhaps even being served in an absorbent wrap. Just sayin'.

The dessert tray was very nice. Unfortunately I am a WeightWatcher, so I only got to watch other people put on weight.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Searching for lunch in Newport is not easy. Wharfy places are packed with tourists and screaming meemies. Other restaurants are boring chains or overly ambitious. So we relied on the hubby's (20-year memory) of an "eclectic" bookstore and cafe. Score!

If you wander through this rather rambling building, watch out. No floor is level. Steps are creaky and tilted. But it is a REAL bookstore with knowledgeable staff. They have survived the e-book crisis by increasing their tchotchke stock and making one side a "club" with dinner and music on Friday nights. I'd go. It's funky and fun.

Wend your way to the left from the entrance of the bookstore, past the restrooms, up a ramp and past the (again) funky bar area and turn left into what feels like the back entrance to the cafe by the kitchen. Don't be scared. It doesn't smell like the back of the kitchen.

Other reviews note a lack of speed and/or competency in service. We had a great experience. Attentive service without hovering, friendly wait staff without being overly chatty. Food was unambitious, but extremely fresh and well-prepared.

We started with the Oregon bay shrimp cocktail. A veritable plethora of shrimp was tossed with a minimum of chopped celery and piled high on top of acceptably piquant cocktail sauce. Truly, a bargain at $7. I had fish 'n chips: fish was shockingly lightly battered and perfectly cooked, fries were only adequate. Everything was underseasoned, but lemon wedges, salt, malt vinegar and a very good tartar sauce helped. The hubby had a HUGE Greek salad (note to self: if you order something with fresh tomatoes in the depths of winter, you deserve what you get) with so much feta he couldn't eat it all, perfectly dressed. We should have had the clam chowder and/or the onion soup, as I read they are both delicious.

Definitely worth another trip, at least for the soups.

Do NOT miss the chance to prowl through the book store.

1  Thank bacongougere
Reviewed 31 December 2013

And, the bookstore itself is worth the visit. It is a little off the beaten path, so will require some directions. The food is excellent and moderately priced