“pricey but good”

Ranked #6 of 113 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Saffron Salmon is perched on the end of a public pier with a panoramic bay view on Newport's Historic Bayfront. We showcase Northwest cuisine utilizing local and fresh ingredients. As sea life frolic outside the window, you will dine amidst contemporary art in this visually stunning eatery. A local's favorite, Saffron Salmon is a magical dining experience with its stunning view, great food, superb service and unique Northwest wine and beer selection.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I liked being right on the bay kitchy front and the view of the harbor. Staff attitudes were a bit on the upscale side, not like the usual casual atmosphere in this area. The food was fine, but didn't make me want to return any time soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The staff were very friendly and polite, we chose the fresh Albacore Tuna the lunch special, delicious! This charming clean little restaurant is at the end of a pier and has wonderful views, the fog lifted and we saw the Coast Guard leaving and the Fishing boats returning. Highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank kentexuk75
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had tried to get in the night before without a reservation and the wait ended up being too long. I’m so glad we gave it a 2nd try because the food was exquisite.

I started with a simple salad that had some of the sweetest and tastiest cherry tomatoes I have ever had. Then I had the albacore tuna special, which was cooked to perfection. It was so tender that it almost melted in my mouth. My colleague let me have a bite of his salmon and it was similarly impeccably cooked. The side veggies were lightly grilled and here again cooked to perfection. The asparagus were still crunchy and enchanting. I am not sure what type of mushrooms were in there, but they were delicious as well.

Since I had picked a light appetizer and light entrée, I treated myself to a bread pudding. I am usually not a dessert person but this one was awesome and well worth the calories.

Not a single complaint and to top it all, the tab was very reasonable. The same level of freshness and quality in Chicago would have cost me three times more. If you want to experience fresh seafood at its best while in Newport, Saffron Salmon is clearly on top of the list.

1  Thank Laurent L
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Four of us visited in May, the service was excellent and the food was even better. We had a selection of the appetisers and the entrees. All of which were excellent.

1  Thank Davetheaddick
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is one of the best restaurants in Newport. it's a bit upscale for a day at the beach but for a romantic weekend away it is perfect. It is also quiet and you can watch the seals and sea lions play in the bay while you dine.

1  Thank Tom L