Summer Wind Budget Motel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed in this motel for one night and it was the worst motel I have ever stayed in. They don't give you coffee, shampoo, or even a full sized towel. The room had 1 wash cloth, and 1 towel the size I use in my kitchen not bath towel size, there was no one answering the office door at night to get another towel. The sheets were rediculously thin. They didn't even have a proper bottom sheet it was just a second top sheet tucked under that came off in the night. The comforter was anything but comfortable, small uncomfortable pillows. They didn't vacume the edge of the room, like EVER! Piles of dust and gunk along the edge of every wall. Holes in the walls the lamp did not work. TV was old and tiny. The heat was on but very low and turning the thermostat dial did not change it. The door didn't fit the frame properly. This is not even the worst of it this is just what I noticed while there. The worst part is that I had to stay another night in newport so I went to the Americas best value inn next door and while checking in I mentioned that I had stayed in the summer winds budget motel next door the night before and that I would never go back there at this point the manager of the Americas best value returned my id and informed me that they would not rent a room to me because I had stayed next door and that the summer winds had had bed bug infestations so they have a policy against renting rooms to anyone who has stayed next door. I was shocked but she was 100% serious! Needless to say I will not be back to either of these two motels in the future!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Ags88
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Changed price of room when we got there!! Put us across the street in some second story dump. The smoke alarm was NOT INSTALLED. Wires hanging from ceiling. Bed linen covered in cigarett burns (over 30 I counted). Bedding ... oh my gosh! Tattered! and you could see through the sheets. NO top sheets! Towels were so dirty we couldn't use them! Shower curtin covered in grey and black mold. Tub had cigarette burns! Lamps had bare wires. Door didn't fit in frame. Dirty, damaged carpet. Old, small TV. No coffee, no shampoo. One small bar of soap for four people. This place looked like a drug house. I wanted my money back. He said NO. When I said I was calling the Fire Marshall oh he had a complete change of mind. I've contacted the Fire Marsha and Planning Dept, as of Sept 10, 2012.

Room Tip: Call the Chamber of Commerce for any town you want to do business in. If the business isn't a member with the Chamber ... don't do business with them!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank NanaPapaOlympia
Reviewed 25 October 2010

beds are rock hard, linens are see through, both bathrooms in both rooms we stayd in we MOLDY everywhere, when u pull tp from the roller, the whole roll falls off in garbage can... pretty gross. we stayed two nights, for price it was a go cuz i had stayed here lots of times and everything was very nice and clean..... the man at the office is a jerk, very rude and has no customer service skills except to take your money... we had no room service as we didnt need it, asked for towells for both rooms, didnt get them till 530 pm, after we went to the office for the 5 th time.....neither room had a working phone, fridge froze all food and drinks....I was posative after my many stays here it would be good, but after all this to my kids and man, i look a little like a a&& for suggesting it.......

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank babylove1
Reviewed 27 May 2009

if you are planning to go to newport and want a place to stay then dont make reservations here because when you get there they will play stupid and say they dont have your reservation. they did that to us but we were lucky we were able to find a motel that wasnt booked. plus when you ask about a manager or owner he wont give you any names and will be rude to you.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank dolphin81
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I spent a lot of time here on and off since 1998 as a rogue traveler on a budget. There were weekly rates which were reasonable at the time, and probably still are during the off season. I finally left for good in 2007 after new management took over after doing some touch up work while considerably raising the rates. The only room that I'd stay in after a few times there was # 113 as it was completely refurbished, and I was very much aware of the condition of the others. You could say that I was a semi permanent resident for 8 years due to my gypsy nature, and because they had weekly rates within my budget.
This motel should be demolished and rebuilt in my opinion. The new owners are punjabi from India, and believe they are going to recover from their mistake of buying this property in the first place by quoting very high prices over the phone thinking that many people who call will actually book a room. Some do without having any idea what they may be getting, and when they arrive they are very sorry they did. The only rooms aside from #113 that are acceptable are across the street in the annex. This was, and probably still is, a drug and sex stop for the local fecal creatures who inhabit the surrounding area. If you can get # 113 for a few nites at a price around $35 bucks a nite...do it. Otherwise, do not stay in the motel proper. Ask for a room in the annex, but don't let them bend you over when you do. A few dollars more is worth it, but when they start stating rates in the 50's and 60's tell them to shove it. You are a captive audience in the Newport area, and this motel maintains the lowest prices because it is at the bottom of the heap. This is a hot spot in the Summer so rates are going to be high no matter where you stay. There are few alternatives in this price range, but for a few bucks more, the motel on the same block just down the street is clean, well managed, and a sensible alternative. And...they don't adjust prices according to whom they think they can take advantage of.

• Stayed: May 2007