“Cheese Louise! ”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
Philomath, Oregon
“Cheese Louise! ”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped off for lunch on our way to the Aquarium. It was around lunchtime during the midweek in July.
I had been to Flashbacks a few times in their old location, so was interested to see if anything was different than before. I can say I was surprised at how little traffic there was inside, because I assumed it would be busier.
The restaurant is bright white, and still has the similar decor of a diner. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was bothering me about the atmosphere, but it was just a little cold, and I don't mean temperature-wise.
The wait staff was pleasant enough, but there was nothing personable, just polite. I'd suggest warming up the decor and the mood of the staff a bit - that could help a lot!

My grilled cheese, however, was VERY warm. It was one of the best ones I've had in ages. The three cheeses (including pepper jack? That was great!) were all melted into a gooey, yummy mess, and the sourdough was toasted just right, although a little on the greasy side (but it IS a diner!). We all had fries: straight cut, waffle, and chili-cheese and they were good as well.
I'd suggest serving chili-cheese fries in something other than a paper-lined basket, however, as it was pretty difficult to eat from the soggy paper with a fork. They had plenty of melted cheese, lots of chili and it was altogether a pretty large portion.
Burger was good, however offering my kid a "regular" burger with nothing on it, instead of the kids meal burger should have been a question that was directed at me, as well as an explanation of the price difference. Of course a kid will say yes! Unfortunately, our bill was quite a bit higher than I had budgeted, so we couldn't bother with ice cream. Also, offering refills on kids' drinks should be routine, as it is in most restaurants now, and I certainly don't know why buying a HUGE glass of soda was the only other suggested option.
All in all, the food we ordered was fairly tasty, the service was ok, the decor was a bit on the chilly side, and the arcade helped make kids happy. I'd say it's an average (yet unique) place to eat, that with some more improvements could be pretty good!

1 Thank Alexis S

Sequim, Washington
“fun atmosphere and good burger”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were in the area for the week and mostly eating in, but took a trip to Newport and decided to have lunch. If I had seen the previous reviews, I might have not stopped in, but I had a coupon for a free burger, so we went in for price and little else. It was a decent 50's style restaurant with good music playing. Our daughter wasn't happy because my wife and I have been commandeering the radio on this trip with rock music (not top 40s). But I digress. The waitress and other staff were friendly. All of our burgers and sandwiches were good and all the fries (regular, waffle and cheese) were good. As in one review, it was lunch time, middle of summer and there were only three other groups when we started, so that surprised me a little. But it's June gloom weather on the coast and maybe the tourists were staying in. Overall, we liked it.

Fife, Scotland
“Roadtrip Stop Off”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stopped here on our 101 roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco. I do love a retro diner! The food was exactly as I would expect and the service was friendly and polite. The atmosphere in the restaurant was lacking for some reason but this wasn't really a problem. It was nice to get some ice cream to go on the way out too. Did the job!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Fun place!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Love the music playing....service is good. Pizza is delicious!
Kids loved the kids meals, served in a cardboard classic car.

Junction City, Oregon
“Fun date night!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Loved the video arcade up front, made for a fun time while we waited for our food. Burgers & fries were delicious, staff was great, atmosphere was nostalgic & fun. Will definitely be back!

3 Thank quackerbabe78