“Zach seems to be in over his head”
Review of Zach's Bistro

Zach's Bistro
Ranked #26 of 113 Restaurants in Newport
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I've vacillated between writing Zach a personal note and doing nothing as I didn't want to write anything that would hinder Zach's attempts to make a go of his business. It appeared to us that he is trying very hard to make a success of the restaurant and is struggling to do so. There were four other covers in the place when we arrived for our 7:30 reservation, none when we left. Zach was the only staff member we saw during our visit so he must have been doing it all with the possibility of one other person in the kitchen. My wife's mussels were outstanding. Having never had monkfish cheeks I tried them. I do not recall seeing anything on the menu which said they came with salsa but they did. And I cannot eat the cilantro that was in the salsa. So he did them again for me without. I cringed at the cost of this to him but had no choice. The replacement cheeks were dry and tough. I ate only one and a half of four and Zach chose not to mention that when he removed my plate. He certainly never did a sat check whilst the plate was in front of me. We each had a mediocre dessert.

It certainly seemed to us that Zach was trying to do too much and his menu, especially with little business , was very aggressive. And, keeping the hours he does it would appear he is making an investment that would not justify the meager return we observed. He seemed a very pleasant person and is probably competent but it didn't work for us.

3  Thank MisterBuster
There are newer reviews for Zach's Bistro

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had not read any reviews about Zach's, and stopped here on a late weekend night because it was open and seemed promising for a more than average bite of dinner. As a party of 4 well-travelled and dined individuals, we were very impressed with the creative menu, the food presentation and the taste! The clam chowder was one of the best, the crab cakes were full of crab and flavor and the salads fresh (I had never eaten heritage spinach before). The desserts were a perfect finish to a well-presented and timed dinner. We are so happy we came and recommend this restaurant highly!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Dine in a small unique setting with antique furniture by visiting Zach's Bistro. The menu offered a wonderful variety of creative fresh entrees. The Oregon wine selection for 1/2 bottles was excellent. As usual, the king salmon was delicious. Crab cakes were very tasty, and the creamy chowder used fresh ingredients without being too rich. Also, if you still have room for dessert, be sure to order! Creme brûlée was excellent. Homemade french vanilla ice cream topped with your favorite fresh berries or homemade chocolate sauce was savored by our party. However, the chocolate tart was the voted the favorite. When in Newport, find Zach's to enjoy a delightful meal that will not disappoint anyone.

1  Thank Travelfan527
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had a great breakfast here; game sausage themed menu. We ate on the "patio," sunny nook off of the main dining area. Service was good, if a bit slow.

My husband had the restaurant's own original Bloody Mary, which was a bit weird. Mimosas are just what you'd expect.

But we enjoyed our food and the ambiance of the restaurant. We will return to try out the "themed Thursdays," for dinner; a different cuisine each month.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Well... Somethings never change. This location used to be the old "Panache" location, and although the interior is quite nice ( antique tables ) the food is still just average. I give the new owner a lot of credit for trying really hard, but we were there over Valentines weekend, and he was wildly understaffed. My wife and I waited more than 45 minutes to be served. The food was average, and was nothing more that I could do with a hotplate and a few simple ingredients.

In all fairness, we will give thee folks a second chance, because they were busy and obviously understaffed. But I hope they can impress us next time.. otherwise it will be permanently off the list.

3  Thank John L