“Awesome Beach get-away!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Moolack Shores Motel
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Snoqualmie, WA
“Awesome Beach get-away!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Low key, on the beach, do-your-own thing spot - gorgeous beach to walk on or just stare at from your room. Clean, short driving times to Newport, Depoe Bay, Lincoln City. Mellow owner. Perfect for hubbie & I to come to to relax & do whatever....we stayed in the Western room...all sorts of quirky decor....definitely a gem and we'll be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed in the Racer's Room for two nights. The room was adequately sized and well laid-out. I enjoyed having a kitchenette at my disposal, and the fireplace in the room was a nice touch. The real bonus was the deck off of the bedroom. It was nice to fall asleep every night to the sound of the ocean. The hotel itself is right off the highway, but I didn't hear the traffic in my room. The only problem we encountered was with the shower, which only worked about halfway and alternated between scalding hot and freezing cold for no discernible reason - hence the "average" rating on the room. It wasn't bad enough to keep me from wanting to visit again, although next time I hope to get into the Hawaii Room.

Room Tip: Book early to get the room that you want.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

In October 2012, I began looking for a destination in Newport for our 2 year anniversary.I read many reviews online, and called to book an ocean view room. We went on April 2, 2013 and stayed overnight in the Racer Room! It was cozy, clean, and best of all, the perfect getaway. It was quiet, and there were no slamming doors. The ocean view was spectacular, and having beach access was even more so. The room was a bit dated, but well kept and tidy, and the management was extremely helpful and had great suggestions for places to eat and things to see. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return in the future! This place is a diamond in the rough, I would recommend this to anyone who wants a nice, quiet getaway with beautiful scenery. And also, we ordered food to go from a place called Local Ocean, and it was excellent! I ordered the Crab Po-Boy sandwich, and my hubby ordered fish and chips...so good! :)

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Mncooper90
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

The traveller sites list this motel a s the 4th romantic. I beg to differ. Granted, it's tacky and in no way elegant in decor and doesn't have any services such as a pool , gym and bar or restaurant. But if you love the water, want a moonlit walk (if the timings right naked) on the beach, privacy and quiet; this is where you need to be. The first time we stopped was in desperation, late in the day and tired of driving. After that, always by choice. You can fall asleep to the sound of the crashing waves with the wood stove crackling, cook in the fuly equipped kitchen (including corkscrew), bask in the sun on your private Oceanside deck, or sip wine with your heels in the sand and the waves lapping at your toes. That's where I am going after my wedding in August!

Room Tip: I liked the racing room...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RZalm
Powell Butte, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

As a rule I never give great reviews for treasures we find close to home, but in this case I must make an exception. My wife and I are native to the State of Oregon and have visited the Oregon Coast for over 50 years, driving by this motel countless times. As we were going to stay a couple nights in Newport we found this place on the internet, and oh what a find it was.
Like I said I hate doing this as we usually like to keep good secrets to our self, but in this case I must share. The incredible experience began with our call on a Tuesday evening hoping to find a room for Wed & Thur night. The office was busy with another customer and I got a message that my call would be returned, ya right, I have heard that before, so I called again, getting the same message. Soon I did get that call, with a very friendly voice on the other end calling me by name, obviously I was not talking to a machine while someone on the other end was ignoring me.
We were delighted to get a reservation, and even more excited when we arrived the next afternoon. This was perfect, an old school motel on the Oregon Coast with owners and managers that go the extra mile to make sure your time away from home is a perfect experienc. There is not a better view of the ocean on any coast anywhere, the bed was as comfortable as our bed at home, which best case scenario is never the case.
I want to thank the owners and managers, and we will be back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JLSwindle
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We have stayed at Moolack Shores Motel at least ten times in the past thirty-five plus years. It is a motel you could easily drive pass and not consider as a worthy destination motel. Most guests have stayed at this motel in the past, or were recommended to stay here by someone they know. Theme rooms are dated but clean and well maintained. Most rooms have balconies that overlook Moolack Beach...great ocean views, especially at sun set. Beach access down a flight of well maintained stairs...great beach for walking...secluded with few others on the beach. Owners do make your stay worthwhile. Room rates are reasonable, considering it is the Oregon coast and close to Newport. Not our usual accommodation when travelling, but should we return to the Newport area we shall once again bring back memories by staying at the Moolack Shores Motel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Doug B
Pendleton, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I booked the room about a month in advance, which worked great for us; we got the room of our choice, which was the Hawaiian room. We (my boyfriend and I) stayed here in mid-March, around St. Patrick's Day, I believe.
We arrived there mid day and parked in the empty parking lot, which was loose gravel, so I had to give it a little gas when we backed out. We went inside the office area, a very small space on our side of the counter; the other people wanting to check in had to wait outside. Yvette was the name of the woman who greeted us. She was very friendly, as she checked us in and gave us a verbal tour of the place, explaining how to get down to the beach and where our room was, in addition to the guest wash room and what have ya.
We went to our room which was on the northern corner of the motel, and it was lovely. Everything was decorated wonderfully and had a very homey feeling. It wasn't matching and flawless like many hotels. Instead, it was much more like staying in someone's home. A clean home, mind you. As we went around the corner to where the bed was, I was blown away by the view. I had seen the pictures and done the little virtual tour on their website, but I didn't think we would be THAT close to the water. Simply amazing!
We stayed for two nights and both were very comfortable. The sink in the kitchen had a hard time draining, but we didn't use it much anyway. Rather than bothering them in the night, I just left a note for them to take care of it when they cleaned the room while we were out and about.
The room was quiet, we didn't hear any neighbors but that was probably because I had the door open 90% of the time. Hearing the ocean from my bed was wonderful!
The ONLY thing I didn't like about the place was that when cars went down the street at night, their lights shone through the window, and reflected off of the window facing the ocean, making it look as though there were lights coming from the water. It caught my eye several times, so finally I closed the curtain. The parking lot was very crowded towards the end of the evening, so watch your doors!
Overall, the staff was friendly, the room was homey and clean to my standards, and the view was phenomenal! I am going to be staying here again this October in the Nautical room. It doesn't face the ocean, which is a bummer, but the theme is awesome.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that there is no breakfast served, but several of the rooms are suites or mini suites a...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple