“Amazing, delicious Italian food!”
Review of Green Gables Italian Cafe - CLOSED

Green Gables Italian Cafe
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

My family was staying in Newport and our last night we couldn't decide what we wanted.. Happened upon this place! It's almost one of those places you wouldn't know was there if you didn't walk by. Kinda hidden. We ordered take out and couldn't of been more impressed! We got baked ziti, manicotti and kids spaghetti. All perfectly cooked! Salad was crisp and fresh. Ronda, the owner/chef is the real deal! Loved everything!

1  Thank Areviewer12

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We've been to this quaint little restaurant/book store for a few years in a row now. The food itself is actually very good with homemade spaghetti sauce that is wonderful. Unfortunately both times we had to wait 3-4 hours to eat (and that's after we were seated). When the food finally did come it was cold. I understand with the marathon going on it might be a little busy, but we even had reservations. We thought last year was a fluke with the length of time it took- thus our returning the following year. The staff was friendly enough, it's just the wait time was ridiculous, and BOTH years! We received excuses galore from the owner (again both years), but no apology. I rated this average and I think that I'm being generous in doing so. The sauce itself deserves an excellent rating, but with the wait time deserving a terrible rating I compromised... It's unfortunate really.

5  Thank sspartyof2
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Don't let the outside or the neighborhood make you pass up this dining experience. If you don't mind eating in an old bookstore, with plastic table cloths and mismatched furniture, you will get a very good meal. Our server, Chelsey, was delightful and efficient. I had linguini with clams, and everything was cooked perfectly. The salad was fresh and the dressing tasty. My husband had the lasagna and he really enjoyed it. The desserts were homemade and just delicious. It is different, but worth the experience for good food. Being a New Yorker, I enjoy Italian food and appreciated having it explained that this is Sicilian style...not what you would find in Rome. I would certainly go back.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

YEAH! Wonderfully prepared. The italian chef/owner knows what she is doing. Try her pesto,olive,pepperocini sauce. To die for! The staff was so accomadating and nice. Yes, it takes longer than fast food. It's worth it! My friend said the homemade potpie was incredible.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Setting is cramped, run down looking. Ok - I can go with some antique charm for a nice dining experience. Waited 15 minutes for water. The wait person (who I believe was the cooks helper and not really wait staff) explained they were short handed. Beer list? One kind "it's off-season"??? Ordered. Waited 15 min for salads (in which time the waitress came and asked if everything was ok [what, the water?]. Salads were fine, basic lettuce mix.
Some hard, cold, dry bread arrived with no oil or butter...Another 15 minutes and the food arrived. Don't make the mistake of ordering the Petite Portion - as our regular portions weren't enough to fill a child. Laughable portions - seriously! We asked for more bread - which arrived after the 3 bites of the entrée were gone. It was accompanied by the chef (personable) - with reasons why things were so slow and disorganized. I have to say, everyone liked the taste of the food - but the rest of the experience was a disaster.

9  Thank WiserNow7