“We love this "hotel"”

Embarcadero Resort Hotel
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 30 March 2014

When I visit Newport, I have a specific agenda.
1) I stock up on tuna cans from South Beach Fish Market.
2) I fill up a growler with mead from Rogue.
3) I eat seafood.
4) I eat at La Maison Cafe and Bakery.
5) I go to work at my gig, which is the reason I'm in Newport pretty frequently.

One of the things I do not necessarily go to Newport for is the beach. Beachfront property in Newport is very lovely, but I really prefer to stay in a rental house down the road in Seal Rock (excellent prices) if I'm going to be staying in the area for beachin' activities. As far as Newport goes, I guess I'm a Bay Girl!

I have a $150 accommodations limit, so that rules out some of the fancier places in town. Also, I have stayed in various of the larger beachfront hotels, and I will say that they are good places, but a little damp-seeming and dated. With weird heat regulation. I digress.

The Embarcadero really fits my bill. I love "romantic" places-- spots that have some good character. I usually prefer independently-owned properties over chains-- but gahd, I travel for business, and ya gotta rack up those points. Plus, sometimes all there is in town is a chain (ahem, Best Western Rama Inn La Grande). But this place has something extra-- since each of the units are owned, I think anyway, by different shareholders or whatever, then each owner personalizes the unit in their own cool way. Even though the ones I've stayed in have been unique from each other, they have all been impeccably clean, and very well appointed. You're paying the same amount of money to stay in a place that has a separate bedroom, a pull out bed sometimes, a kitchen, a guaranteed view out the deck onto the bay, privacy, often a Fireplace!, and an Awesome Bar and Restaurant-- yep, you heard me right-- as you would at a faceless, nameless, soulless Holiday Inn Express (no offense, those can be really nice hotels in a pinch). I hear there are even some with jacuzzi tubs.
You are getting so much when you stay at the Embarcadero.
In addition to all that I just listed, there is a crab dock, where you can rent crabbing equipment and catch your weight, potentially, of dungeness crabs, which are, like, the same price as gold. You may not cook crabs in your room, but don't worry, they have a 24-7 crab steaming pot down at the dock, and you can just cook your dang crab there and eat it on your porch or at your seats-8 dining room table! There is a really nice indoor pool and spa. The staff, as should be expected, are really friendly and nice; sometimes weird stuff will happen like the computer will go down, but they are prompt about returning your call, and they keep to their word, regarding your reservation. Oh! There is also a commissary, where you can purchase espresso drinks, as well as anything else you may need, including Two Towns ciders and Rogue ales, singles or sixers; wine; beach equipment; the aforementioned crab gear; and a lot of other great stuff. Candles? I don't know. There are also storied lookout cupolas, with strange Scandinavian fireplaces, which I think it's possible to rent out for meetings or events-- very weird and great.
I would now like to talk about the restaurant/ bar. March 28, 2014-- the night we stayed there-- was the opening night of the Waterfront Grille. The restaurant is basically the same as it was before-- awesome bar with chairs, fireplace, bay view seating-- but now has a brand-new, improved menu. Toby had the sturgeon special, which was ridiculously amazing, and I had the clam pasta, also wonderful. I love the cheap martinis made with Rogue gins. They have lots of really great stuff on the menu, but obviously I can't speak to any more than I ate. I never considered eating at this restaurant before the menu change: the old menu had really dated items-- I'm sure the food was good, but it wasn't up to the style of today. Now it is.

Full disclosure: I have not stayed in every one of the rooms at this hotel. I have only stayed in Premium Suites. I think these might be the best option. The fact that all the condos are personalized has a pitfall: some of the units are not as recently updated as others. They are not updated on a schedule. So it is up to you, the customer, to be proactive and ask for an updated room. They hooked us up with a great room the other day, when our usual room wasn't available.

All in all, you should stay at the Embarcadero-- it is awesome, if you like that sort of thing. Thanks, Embarcadero, for always showing us such a great time!

Room Tip: Captain Rogue's Quarters is great. Go waterfront, otherwise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank theefamousperson
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear thefamousperson,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an incredible and in-depth review of our resort! I am so happy to hear you were able to join us for our grand opening weekend with musician Brett Lucich. We are very proud of our new menu and restaurant design, and we appreciate the positive feedback.

I agree with your comments about the property's many wonderful features. Our many amenities and unique room designs offer a different experience with every stay our private crab dock offers an opportunity to catch crab while enjoying the gorgeous bay view. Your comments are very appreciated and we very much look forward to seeing you again soon! Thanks again for the amazing review!!!

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Service was excellent! Really attentive to my food allergies. The room was clean and the bed was super comfortable! The "one man band" was great and our server Chad was the best. We are vi owners and this location does not disappoint.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kimberly R

Kimberly R,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our property. I am thrilled to hear you joined us for the grand opening of the Embarcadero Waterfront Grille! We are ecstatic to have our bartender Chad back and I agree with you that our musician's performance was incredible! We are fortunate to have such a great staff and wonderful guests! Thank you!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I took my wife there for a birthday/Valentine's day present to her and Ihad flowers delivered for a suprise to my wife. When the resort found out I was treating my wife to such a time, they up graded my room with no extra cost and also delivered a complimentary bottle of champagne with the flowers. We felt like royalty. Ok, mabe that's stretching it a bit, but I've seriously never been treated better at any other resort I've stayed in. I highly reccomend staying there.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank jaosi
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear jaosi,
We are so glad to hear you had a great anniversary. thank you for choosing our resort to spend your romantic weekend at. Thank you so much for reviewing our property and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We just spent three nights in the Sunset by the Bay suite. Furnishings and linens were first rate, nice view of the bay and the bridge. The management was quick to respond when we couldn't get the bedroom heater to work. My only criticism is that there was too much light. There are light switches everywhere, but only the kitchen light had a dimmer. It would have been better to have soft lighting in the living area, and softer light in the bedroom for reading. Simple dimmer switches - or lower watt light bulbs - would be an easy fix. But I'm not complaining too loudly - we've already booked our next trip here.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get a bay front (rather than bay view) room - you can watch the herons hunt...

Dear Guidosmom2014,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I appreciate all the positive feedback and thank you for bringing up the concerns with the lighting. I would like to let you know that we are taking your advice in regards to the dimmer switches. Thank you, that was excellent feedback for us to continue to grow to meet our guests needs. We are committed to comfort and making our bay front resort your #1 resort destination on the Oregon coast. I am thrilled to hear you had such an amazing weekend! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We rolled into Newport around noon and were looking for a nice place to say. We caught a sign on our way into town for the Embarcadero. We decided to check it out. I am very glad we did. We were instantly greeted by a young man with a great smile and firm handshake. He explained what he had available for rooms and highly recommended his specialty suites. We took a look at they are incredible. If we had the money we would have stayed in one of these units. We were also shown a few of their premium rooms and decided to stay in one of these nice units. We in D building. Craig our front desk guru recommended this building as one that has better views of the bay. He was right! Not only can you see the bay from this building but you can see the bridge too! It was perfect for a nice romantic night with the wife. We were upset we couldn't try their restaurant. Craig was quick to give us recommendations for several restaurants in the area. We ate at a few and had good meals at each. ( you can read these reviews as i post them.) All in all we got lucky and got some sunshine and some of the best front desk service on the coast when we stopped into the Embarcadero. The rooms are gorgeous and you just cant beat the sun in January. Until next time Embarcadero. Thank you.

Room Tip: Preimium rooms are only 10 dollars more than the standard ones. Choose premium.
1  Thank George L

George L,

We are thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy our amazing weather with us. We are fortunate to have a few such beautiful days here in January and such great guests to enjoy it with us. Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, we look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the resort portion which far outweighed the hotel portion as far as cleanliness, comfort, and amenities.
The room was comfortably warm, had a fireplace, and was large enough in the living space to have guests. The kitchen was a full kitchen and most needed kitchen items were supplied.
The view was disappointing from our room as it was the backside of other rooms with the bay seen in the distance.
We had to check in at another location which was inconvenient and, along with the lack of a great view, results in the four rather than five stars.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

just1beth,

Thank you for the review, I are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your accommodations and had the opportunity to relax here at the Embarcadero. Our records indicate you stayed in a Vacation Internationale unit which is not associated with the resort as Vacation Internationale is a timeshare company that owns units at the Embarcadero Resort. I hope you had a chance to walk along Newport's Fisherman's Walk, that leads form our boardwalk to the historic bay front where many exciting gift shops and restaurants are located; only minutes form our front door. We very much appreciate the review and we eagerly await your next visit. Thank you for the review.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

One of the best views for the money on the Oregon coast. The front desk was not very helpful and did not seem to care much about our needs. We were looking forward to eating at the hotel like the website said we could, but when we showed up we were told the restaurant was being remodeled. When we asked for a good place to eat we were not helped much at all.
Other than the lack of help at the front desk the stay was very nice. For the price I do not think it can be beat. The only other complaint I would have is the bed was like sleeping on a floor with a sheet placed on top of it.

Room Tip: "All rooms have great views"
1  Thank itsfengshui
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear itsfengshui,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are very excited about the restaurant's remodel, I'm certain you will find it is worth the wait. I apologize for the inconvenience of it's closure and I hope you will give us another try once we reopen mid-February. I am sorry you found our Front Desk staff less than accomidating and and the bed was too hard. I will pass this along to our Front Desk Manager and Executive Housekeeper to ensure this does not happen again. I would like to let you know this is not the usual level of service and comfort that we provide for our guests. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience, I would like to hear more about your stay in an effort to improve our service. You may reach me at 541-265-8138, I look forward to speaking with you. Again, thank you for the review. We look forward to your next stay.