“Nice improvements!”

Captain's Choice Family Fish House
Ranked #4 of 54 Restaurants in North Bend
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Nice improvements!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My family used to eat here back when everything was deep-fried, so my husband and I were glad to find that the menu has been expanded to offer more fresh ingredients and freshly prepared entrees. The service was good, the nautical decor was fun, and the casual atmosphere was very family-friendly.

I had the crab cakes, which were delicious, though the way they slit open the foil-wrapped baked potato meant that little bits of foil got inside. The restroom could use an upgrade, too, but otherwise, it's a very nice seafood spot!

Visited June 2014

North Bend, Oregon
“Clam Chowder”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The food at Captain's Choice is fresh, cooked to order (not always deep fried), and very good. Their clam chowder is simply the best in the area. It is a place I take my friends when they visit the area, and they are always impressed with the food, and they are FULL when they leave!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Joy B
Salem
“Great Clam Chowder”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nothing fancy in it's dated decor but no frill's doesn't detract from the food. Excellent, fresh oysters on the half shell and delicious clam chowder in a cup or bread bowl. Located on a main street - Virginia St., it's easy to find and on the way coming or going in or out of the area. Stop in and taste for yourself.

• Visited April 2014
Eugene, Oregon, United States
“Clam Chowder”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My family loves the clam chowder from Captain's Choice. Very creamy, not milky/watery... tasty enough that we usually stop in just for a bowl of chowder. Fish, to me, was only so-so.

• Visited March 2014
United Arab Emirates
“Do Not Trust this Captain's Choice”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was in town hanging with a friend who lives in Coos Bay- she chose this restaurant based on the one time she visited two years ago.

The cafe is adorned in that fish net, buoy, crappy sea faring gear that is in every 1970's built seafood restaurant. When we walked in they were still open for two hours, but the hostess was not even mildly pretending she was happy we were there. She glanced up, sighed, and looked back down while telling us to sit anywhere we'd like.

It did not get better from here.

We both needed a little time to decide, the waitress heaved herself away from the table sighing. There was a lot of disgruntled sighing amongst the staff. We had to grab her to order drinks before she began the long, lonely, foreboding jaunt back to stand next to the still distracted hostess.

We ordered two cups of the clam chowder. I wish I would have went for a bowl- it was thick, briny, creamy and perfect. Seriously, I have lived in Maine and this chowder was amazingly good.

Then we both had the Crab Melt. I felt like even it was sighing in disappointment.

The bread was soggy and wet, the crab was about a tablespoon of crabmeat surrounded by a white tasteless goo. The crabmeat/goo had absolutely no taste. We kept tearing apart our bread to find something edible, something we could eat without eating white goo or wet toast. The redeeming thing was the french fries. We both ate all of our french fries and left the destroyed sandwiches.

I think the waitress knew it was awful because she never once checked in on us or asked how our meal was.
Over $30 bucks without tip for french fries and a cup of chowder.
Like I said- do not trust this Captain. He has no concept of good food, or service.

• Visited March 2014