“Great Location, Clean, Nice, a wonderful place to stay”

BEST WESTERN Plus Rivershore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oregon City
Bellevue, Washington
“Great Location, Clean, Nice, a wonderful place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

If you expect the best (and you recognize this isn't a 5 star in downtown Portland) then you are as close as you are going to get to that and you will be thrilled at the price and hotel.

After staying at a few other hotels outside of Portland, I found the one I will ALWAYS return to. The room was nice, kept up, remodeled, the view was nice, but the river is not really wonderful. No complaints though. I want a nice safe clean, pretty up-kept hotel that feels like it is wonderful. The only complaint I have, is that 3 towels in the bathroom is NOT enough. For people who shower a lot, one female, who needs hair and body towel... yea, we needed more. Easy enough to call, but I prefer them being there and I don't have to call.

The fridge in the unit was a good size. We could keep everything in there. I have had many small half working refrigerators, so these things are a big deal to me.

The on location restaurant was good, room service was fast. Parking was available.

Staff was great. They called to let me know I left the dome light on in my car. They also called my room when a friend came looking for me at 1am. I think they run this hotel like a class act.

Room Tip: I suppose a river view is nice. I don't know what the other views are. If you don't want t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cody H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Rivershore Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Spooky B,

Wow, what a wonderful review; thank you so much for all of the terrific feedback! I am so pleased that you had such a great experience here with us and I’m excited to share your review with all of the staff members. I am sorry however, that we did not supply enough bath towels for you; I can absolutely relate. I’ll be sure to inform the housekeeping staff of your request so, that upon your return, you’ll have plenty. I certainly hope that you’ll be traveling back to our area again. We’d be thrilled to have another opportunity to serve you!

Cody

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
Newport OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

This AC unit was noisy, ran all the time and half the time blew cold air. Finally took it off Automatic and slowed it down and it was reasonable to live with. Other than the above all was well....A special KUDOs go to Kim and Dani in the restaurant...provide a very nice experience for our two breakfast we had even thought they were extremely busy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear oldsaltqsk,

Thank you so much for coming back and visiting us! We really do love seeing our guests return; it’s a wonderful compliment. Thanks also for the “special kudos to Kim and Dani! I’ll be sure to let them know how much you appreciated them. I’m very sorry about the AC unit though. That is something we have actually addressed and have new ones being delivered any day. I expect that the new heating & cooling units will be a great improvement and they should all be installed within a few weeks. I hope that you’ll be traveling back our way soon as we’d be delighted to serve you again!

Best regards,

WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I rated this hotel "average" but it is really between poor and average compared to other Best Westerns I have stayed at.
The river in front of the hotel is awesome and you can enjoy it from your patio. That is really the best thing about it. I had 9 people in my group check into this hotel when I first got there but after they stayed a week, they were asking me if they could switch hotels. I approved it but kept staying myself because it's the only Best Western close. My mistake.
I travel extensively and usually stay at Best Western or Holiday Inn. I chose this hotel because of the brand. With one exception, all of the staff was friendly and helpful. I think some of the earlier reviews talking about cranky staff are about the same very unpleasant individual that made my stay difficult. The manager knows who she is and has chosen to defend her so there lies the problem.
The rooms are adequate and the bed is acceptable. This seems however to be an old property in decline. It's kind of surprising it is still a Best Western and not an Econolodge, Motel 6 or even independent. There is no "continental breakfast" as usual at Best Westerns. You do however receive a $4 coupon for breakfast in the adjacent restaurant. You need to go ask for the coupon at the front desk every morning and it will get you the better part of a bowl of oatmeal minus the coffee and orange juice.
The Bar and Restaurant are pretty good though. Good food at an ok price. I read some negative earlier reviews about it but I didn't experience any.
The heating/cooling unit is either old or cheap and very noisy as mentioned by others. You know it's noisy when they supply ear plugs.
I read earlier reviews about the place having a bad smell in the hall. This is true. Kind of like a wet dog that rolled on a dead fish at times. It's worse on some days and not bad on others. They do allow pets here and you see a lot of them.
Parking is ok unless the bar is busy. Then it fills up and you may end up across the street. If you have any kind of trouble with walking long distances, this isn't the hotel for you. There is one elevator and it would be a heck of a walk pulling a suitcase from there to the other end.

If you are willing to make some sacrifices for the river view and access, make a reservation.
However, after weighing the plus vs all the minuses, there are much better choices in the area and decided during my last stay I wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Don't get a suite unless you don't mind people stomping up and down the stairs. All of them...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Cody H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Rivershore Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear glrbob,

Thank you for being a frequent guest of ours. Thank you also for commenting on the great location, the “awesome” view and the friendly & helpful staff. In regard to the one individual that made your stay difficult, I did indeed counsel her and you stated yourself that I had corrected the problem. Also, after your numerous negative comments toward this staff member, you stated that you had gone a “little overboard” and subsequently apologized; and I do thank you for that as well. I am sorry however, that you got the impression that we are an older hotel in decline. We are in fact in the beginning stages of several remodeling projects, which should help in that regard. We do offer a free breakfast that includes 8 different meal options. Or if you’d prefer, the $4 coupon can be used toward a different breakfast item. In addition, we do offer 24 hour complimentary coffee, hot chocolate and hot tea in the lobby. I apologize for the noisy heating/cooling unit; that has indeed been a problem. However, we just ordered new units for the guestrooms this week. Upon their arrival, we’ll install them immediately and that should eliminate the issue altogether. We do supply earplugs in each guestroom; not for any particular reason, but simply because we feel that it’s a nice amenity for the light sleeper or for those that have trouble sleeping away from home. I am also sorry that you experienced some unpleasant odors. That has not been brought to my attention; so thank you for letting me know. I’ll definitely investigate that and make any necessary changes. I’m also sorry that you were not told that we have 2 elevators; one on each end of the hotel. Moving forward, I’ll be sure to have the front desk staff inform guests of the elevator locations as they arrive. Thank you again for your feedback and input; and I do wish you peaceful and pleasant travels in the future.

Respectfully,

Pender Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

On our way south, we checked in for an overnight visit and found the hotel a pleasant experience. The accommodations provided included a large room and king bed. All the rooms face Willamette River and face away from traffic making our stay quiet and enjoyable. Added to our stay was the location of a park along the river allowing us to enjoy a walk before dinner. The hotel has a very good restaurant where we enjoyed an excellent meal. For breakfast the restaurant provided guests with a complimentary select menu for hotel guests or $4 off the regular menu.

Room Tip: If the air conditioner or heating system keeps you awake, the hotel provides ear plugs in the rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LCplus,

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you also for your wonderful comments about the accommodations, the amenities and the restaurant. I am very happy that you had such a pleasant experience! I look forward to sharing your comments with all of the hotel staff and the restaurant staff as well. I hope that you will be traveling this way again soon as we’d be thrilled to have another opportunity to serve you.

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Accidentally left my new iPad mini in my room and the housekeeping staff stole it. All of the staff was unhelpful, maybe this is a racket for them? I had even left them a $10 bill in the envelope next to the bed as a cleaning tip. The General Manager did nothing and basically said 'tough luck.'

The rooms here are ghetto and look like carpeted jail cells. You can still tell they used to allow smoking in the rooms.

Do not support a business that condones thievery by their employees!!!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Cadillac001
Dear Cadillac001,

Thank you for being our guest. As I mentioned to you on the telephone when we spoke shortly after your departure, I do very much empathize with you in regard to your missing item and did emphatically encourage you to contact our local police department and file a report; which you chose not to do. Also as aforementioned, I did communicate with several staff members and each of them stated that they had no knowledge of any such item. Rest assured sir, I would be willing to take swift & immediate action in resolving any illegal or unethical conduct if it were to be discovered. Also, I’m sorry that you were not pleased with the quality and comfort of our rooms. Though, we have been a 100% smoke-free hotel since 2005, there are occasionally some guests that choose to smoke anyway, regardless of the rules or the fines. As an hotelier for many years, it has always been my goal to see all of our guests leave happy and I’m sorry that we were unable to satisfy your lodging expectations.

Respectfully,

Reno
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

The staff was very friendly upon check-in. This is a non-smoking facility. This includes no smoking on your patio. You may only smoke outside by the parking area. E-cigs are allowed in the rooms and on the patio. The pool and hot tub area was under construction and not usable. The $4 voucher for breakfast is pretty much only good for a discount in the restaurant. The service was fast and friendly but the breakfast food is pretty mediocre. I would suggest eating elsewhere. I had an end unit (rm 343) that was very roomy and the queen bed was quite comfortable. If you are a person over 6'2" I would suggest a king bed. The air unit is a touch noisy but I like the sound of a fan and slept well. The TV looked to be about 42". The balcony is nice for the view but very loud due to freeway noise. When the slider is closed, I couldn't hear any road noise. All in all, I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kelli I
Cody H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Rivershore Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Kelli l,

Thank you so much for being our guest. Thank you also for the nice feedback in regard to the good value, the staff friendliness, the comfortable beds and the view. However, I am sorry that the hot tub was under construction during your visit; I do expect to have it re-opened soon. I’m also very sorry that your breakfast experience was only mediocre; I will be sure to make contact with the restaurant immediately to notify them and correct this situation. I hope that you’ll be traveling through the Oregon City area again soon as I am thrilled to hear that you would stay with us again! On behalf of all of the Rivershore staff, we look forward to having the opportunity to service your travel & lodging needs in the future and we do hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,

Powell River, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Have stayed at this hotel a number of times. The hotel is close to the freeway but still very quiet with a great view of the river. The rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable. We like having a number of restaurants close by.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for coming back to see us! Thank you also for your pleasant comments about the view, the cleanliness and the comfortable beds. It truly is very important to us that our guests feel the same way that you do upon departure and I hope that is evidenced through our commitment to guest satisfaction. Please hurry back and allow us another opportunity to serve you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oregon City
Comfort Suites Clackamas
#5 of 8 in Clackamas
Monarch Hotel and Conference Center
Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Rivershore Hotel? Share your experiences!