“A Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
West Vancouver, Canada
“A Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Based on a recommendation by our next door neighbour, we made a point of eating at the Otis Cafe. The Otis Cafe is on Highway 20 a couple of miles East of highway 101. It is a small family style cafe with 6 tables, most of which were filled by locals while we were there. There was a hand written sign on a place mat and stuck to the front door, saying to wait until a table is cleared and cleaned before occupying the seat. The menu is very ambitious and has many choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The prices were very reasonable.
As it was noon, my wife and I chose a toasted ham and cheese sandwich onr delicious homemade bread. If that was not filling enough, we had several options for a side dish. We decided on soup, mine was one of best clam chowder I had eaten, my wife had a bean soup which she really enjoyed. My chowder was so good, I took home a bowl to have back at the condo. I over heard some complements on their Marion berry pie, so I also took a piece as a treat later on. I was delighted to have that treat this evening.
If you are in the area, make an effort to try the Otis Cafe. Hopefully there will be room as it is well worth then trip.

• Visited December 2013

Maple Valley, Washington
“Not good at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We saw this cafe mentioned as a "made from scratch" eatery in our hotel's brochure and decided to try it. We ordered breakfast. I make my own biscuits and gravy at home, so was anxious to try theirs. YCK! The gravy was like a gray paste and the biscuits were as dense as a sponge. Just disappointing. My husband's order had eggs (ok), hashbrowns (more like fried potatoes) and the gravy (his sentiments mirrored mine on that). Coffee was better than Boyd's, but not by much. I will say the portions are large. Not worth $20 for this stuff. They advertise homemade pies...maybe those are better. This cafe has been here many years, maybe the original cook that gave it a sterling reputation is no more as this was awful.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank bmonson
Depoe Bay, Oregon
“Good amount of food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Large servings of food are the standard here. We had breakfast at around 2:00 pm. Pancakes are as big as the plate and tender. Molasses toast is wonderful. Eggs are eggs...hard to screw up but it can happen...not here. Potatoes are great....I put ketchup on mine, but you may want to squirt a dob of ketchup on your plate first for a taste as I found it has a strange sweetness to it that is not typical of Hunts or other major brands. Worth the wait if you really hungry for good size portions. Wooden bench booths are a little hard on the bottom, but the wait isn't long unless they are lined up outside. Inside seating is small. I avoid weekends.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank David S
washington dc
“Seriously, the best pie ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stopped mid-way in a long bike journey. What an incredible piece of pie. Not too sweet. Perfect berry pie. I wish they fed-exed them across the country. Otis Cafe can make some serious pie. I'll be sad if I never return....

• Visited October 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Excellent Reviews Brought Us Here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

And, they were right! We had stomach stuffing meals that included the German Potatoes and the assortment of homemade breads. Breads are so fabulous, that we bought 2 loaves (Molasses and Pumpkin) to take home with us! All the staff were very nice and accommodating. The cafe is quaint and charming. It is very small, so expect a wait unless you come at an odd hour, between lunch and dinner, like we did. Do stop at this roadside cafe and enjoy a wonderful meal!

• Visited October 2013