“Best Place Ever!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Halfway, Oregon, United States
“Best Place Ever!”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Love their food! Prime Rib excellent - always! My all time favorite is Andy's homemade raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing! He even whipped up some special one night for me when they were out of it! So awesome! Atmosphere is always so relaxing and it's just fun to go, eat the best food, have some drinks, and hang out with friends!

• Visited December 2012

La Grande, Oregon, United States
“Just simply Amazing”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

This is my favorite place to eat of all time! The food is so good. Everyone there puts there heart and soul into that place and it truly shows. Keep up the good work!

• Visited October 2012
Lincoln City, Oregon
“Prime Rib...really?”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This is virtually the only place to eat once you're inside Oxbow. We had rented an awesome little house 300 feet away from this restaurant, had to make reservations ahead of time. Also had to pre-order their famous Prime Rib dinner, of course they were sold out when we got there so we settled for Rib Eye instead...it was awful! 1/2 of the steak was FAT and GRISSEL. The waitress was way slow...had to stop and chat with all the locals who were coming and going. Gave us both the wrong orders, it was hot inside, lots of flies. We would not eat there again, even if it's the only place in town. Our trip down the Snake River in a jet-boat was really awesome; 240 miles round trip. On our way back through Oxbow we decided not to stop at this local diner and pushed ahead to Halfway for a great meal.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Rick A
Boise, Idaho
“Nice find. Good food.”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We were in the area for a couple days for a jet boat trip in Hells Canyon. We ate dinner at the Hells Canyon Inn twice. Both times the food was just excellent. Easily on par with any pub/steak restaurant in larger cities. Being the only restaurant so near to Oxbow it is great to have such good food available. This is a rural area so be aware they may shut down by 8pm or so. Nice waitresses both nights.
The food: Friday night is smoked prime rib (only Friday). The rib is smoked all day and goes fast (dinner starts at 5pm). We reserved four steaks for 7pm and ended up ordering two 14oz steaks for two couples. They have a deal for $3.50 extra you can split and get sides for both people. The steak was a great med-rare to medium smoked piece of prime rib. I think it is locally sourced from what the waitress said. The clam chowder was the second best I’ve ever had (the best is Salty’s in Washington). The second night we had burgers and I asked if they could do a prime rib sandwich with prime rib from the previous day. They did it and it was a great sandwich. The burger my wife had was very good and I tried a couple finger steaks and they were good too. Fresh cut fries, good jo-jos, and I had a good baked potato too. I look forward to the next time I’m in the area to stop in for a great meal. Definitely recommend this place.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Wayne W
Hermiston, Oregon
“Taco Thursday”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stopped in on a very busy Taco Thursday evening. The place was packed, no place to sit in the bar, and we grabbed the last table in the restaurant, plus there were a ton of people dining outside. Service was understandably slow and the waitress was so apologetic, she could not even take our food order for 15 minutes. Yet she got me a beer forthwith, with a frosty mug.

We said no problemo, get us softshell taco's whenever. She kept our beer glasses full and the tardy tacos were excellent. Loaded with meat, cheese, black olives, many more items. I was hungry and had trouble finishing two of those huge things.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank hackney1

Been to Hells Canyon Inn? Share your experiences!