“Horrible owners and rude,bad outof date rooms”
Review of Pacific City Inn

Pacific City Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pacific City
Salem, Oregon
“Horrible owners and rude,bad outof date rooms”
Reviewed 13 May 2011

TOTALLY OVER PRICED for what you get.Wanted coffee in the morning at 8am,office wasn't even open.Had to call.For $163 a night we could have stayed at Cape Kwandia and had a much nicer time.I recommend DON"T STAY HERE!!!!!Rooms are out of date by at least 30 yrs.:((((

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank sabbydog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My experience at many popular Oregon beach vacation spots is that the rooms are pricey and the accommodations are thirty years out of date. This place holds true to that. The room wasn't gross but it certainly wasn't plush. I am constantly horrified that for "nice" accommodations $250+ per night is the standard. Since I am unwilling to pay that for a room at the beach when most of the trip is spent away from my room (why go to the beach and not be at the beach?), this place is acceptable.

The bathroom and bed sheets were clean. There was no noticeable grubbiness to the room but the lack of full dusting/vacuuming was apparent in the not so small nooks and crannies. Much of the decor was out of the late 70's. The most updated thing in there was a VCR player (note: not a DVD player).

After reading other reviews, I would concur that the ceilings were definitely thin but again that isn't unusually for beach housing unless you want to pay a lot more.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We needed a place that could accommodate two kids and a dog. This place fit the bill with two queen beds, TV, kitchenette and bathroom off the main room as well as the single queen in a separate bedroom. Everything was clean. The kitchenette was well-appointed (but we didn't eat in except for breakfast). Beds were comfortable and had nice comforters and sheets. The manager was very nice on the phone and in person. He made sure we knew that someone was available 24/7, and that we should wake him up by phone after hours if we needed anything. (We didn't.) There was a nice garden and picnic area behind the inn that we used for our dog. The property does not abut a slough like someone said (and brings to mind smelly, stagnant water). It runs along the municipal airstrip with the river on the other side of that. So far, nothing but positives for our needs.

Unfortunately, having younger children, we tried to turn in fairly early each evening. The motel would have been quiet with little street noise and fairly quiet patrons ... BUT the people above us walked and walked and walked around their room until late and started up again at 4am. Their floor / our ceiling make cracking noises every time they stepped, and their footsteps sounded like elephants, although I doubt they were being particularly heavy-footed. It was awful lying their, annoyed and waiting for them to stop.

So I would suggest if you don't have a pet traveling with you (necessitating a ground floor room), you request in upper room, which would have solved our only problem with the place.

Also, at $162 per night (including AAA discount + motel taxes), we thought the rate a little high.

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank Goldiekat
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We stayed here for a night over Memorial Day weekend. We were happy to find a place that would take us and our kids and dog for just one night. It was okay - the lady at the front desk was very friendly and having the room with the hot shower sure beats camping in the rain. But the room clearly needs updating - shabby around the edges - and the back opens up onto a slough (although there is a small greenspace for your dog to pee!). It was clean though, which must be tough when guests bring dogs. The location near Cape Kiwanda is great. I wouldn't necessarily go back...but the front desk had videos for $2 and snuggling into a dry bed with your two kids is definitely better than suffering a wet sleeping bag in a droopy tent...!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jabula
Wa State Resident
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We stumbled upon the Pacific City Inn while making our way down the Oregon Coast. Bear in mind that this hotel is clearly dated to the 60s with the kitchen appliances but was reasonably priced for 3 queen beds, kitchenette, and shower.
We were quite happy with the service that we received from the manager. The heat wasn't working when we got to our room, and he immediately came and explained that the heater had simply reset and that it would be working now. He also provided wonderful directions to the beach, a list of the restaurants nearby, and a menu to the bar attached to the hotel.
The beds were firm, yet comfortable. The other guests were quiet so we couldn't tell how much the sound would travel between rooms. Even with the hotel being dated, it was very clean and orderly, as were the kitchen appliances.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Oregon
Reviewed 7 March 2010

We reserved rooms for out of town wedding guests. Owner didn't give us a price break, didn't give us a written price list for the rooms (we had to pick up a brochure on our own), didn't give us copies of anything we signed. We failed to call them to check to see how many rooms had been reserved by guests and they never once contacted us about anything, so they ended up charging us for all of the unused rooms. First we heard of this was from a guest of our who had stayed there. She knew about it because the hotel owner discussed his "concern" with her about the fact he hadn't heard from us. After the honeymoom, we called them to discuss the charges, why they hadn't contacted us (the other hotel we reserved guest rooms at did contact us), why they had discussed our business with a guest and we were told a staff member would call us back in a few days. That was in November 2009. It's now March 2010 and they still haven't called us back. We didn't stay there, so I can't say anything about the rooms, I can only say that I don't recommend reserving rooms for wedding guests and that the owners have never apologized for talking about our business or even acknowledged it was wrong to talk about our business with a guest.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank ordovican

Travellers are raving about these Pacific City hotels

Milton-Freewater, Oregon
Reviewed 23 September 2008

Originally I was planning on spending the remaining four nights in Lincoln City, OR. However, that wasn't going to be possible due to about three festivals this last weekend. On a random flip of a coin, I telephoned Pacific City Inn. The desk clerk, Jeremy, was real nice and helpful. This was a perfect clue right away. Due to yet another festival happening, I was able to get the last room! Anyhow, back to Pacific City Inn. A day prior to checking in I drove up to Pacific City from Lincoln City to sort of get a general feel for the property. The guy at the desk that morning, Jeffrey, was extremely helpful and explained "zero tolerance for noise of any kind" during quiet hours. He explained this after I explained to him that I was distressed over three or four Harleys pulling into the parking lot of my motel in Lincoln City around 11 or so at night and revving their engines full boar before shutting them off. I thanked him for this policy. He then verified that I was scheduled to check in at three or so the following day. The next day I even notified the property to inform Jeff that I would be checking in possibly a little late, due to the fact that I planned on vigorously riding my bicycle that day. Again, no problems. As soon as I checked in around 5 or so, all smiles and I felt as if I were treated with respect. Upon entering my room, I noticed there wasn't a floor fan. I went back down to the office. Again, all smiles and "sure, there is a fan here you can borrow." I then told her that I was a bicycle rider. She asked, "Would you like to store your bike in the shed we have?" I said, "No, I'll just keep it in my car." She even went out of her way to offer me an additional blanket, as I provided that I use a couple of blankets and an old coat of mine to sort of hide it. I kindly took her up on the offer. Now, on to my room. It was very well decorated and my bed was comfortable. The pillows were actual pillows with actual decorated pillow cases. The bedspread is what I would find in a home! It wasn't the typical ugly yellow that is found in most motels. The pillows weren't actual motel pillows, you get the picture, the virtually small-sized pillows. Most of the time, I bring my own pillow for this reason. Now, on to the bathroom. Again, I found it very homey. There was even a deodorizer can in the bathroom. The bar of soap provided was actual size of soap at home, or pretty close. The towels and washcloths were very soft. Also, the wireless internet worked real fast. Overall, I would not hesitate to stay here again. I didn't understand the negative review I read on this property.

• Liked — Location being right in the heart of town, quiet location.
  • Disliked — Not having a direct ocean view, and the parking could be slightly improved.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific City
#18 of 36 in Lincoln City
Surftides Lincoln City
Surftides Lincoln City
#9 of 36 in Lincoln City

Been to Pacific City Inn? Share your experiences!