All reviewsrooster roombagelscontinental breakfastwoolen millsstay there againolder placebusy roadcomfortable bedsrooms are smallchain hotelssmall doggreat pricepleasant surprisenight's sleeproad tripstayed one nightmotel
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The good: very clean and nicely furnished. Reasonable price.

The bad: noisy in the wall AC unit, barking dog next door and the freight train rolling by several times a night. No in room coffee and the breakfast room did not open until 7AM. We were on the road by then. The woman checking us in acted as though she didn't want to be there. Ice was only available at the office. If it was open. We will not return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jngbrooks
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Really charming Western town, and despite this motel's roadside location/appearance, it is such a lovely place! I felt like we were staying at a friend's with a really nice guest room. Very homey feel to it, due to the rustic furniture, country decor, and bathroom. The service was also great, we had to call a few times to get the staff to the office but it was after hours. The internet and TV services were both better than average. I would definitely stay there again! It was close enough to enjoy dinner downtown, and it seemed like such a neat town. And it was perfect for us because it is not far from the highway. We did miss the continental breakfast, as it ended at 9, but they gave us coupons for a local restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Are room had spiders, ants, cockroaches, and small bugs. When I went to the front desk with a cockroach I had killed the man said,"I sprayed the other day". He then said we could move across the hall. I asked him what guarantee I had that the other room would be any better and he said," I don't know if it will but you can go look and let me know". REALLY! What a dump.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank kabjack
RuggedCountryLodge, Manager at Rugged Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

I'm very sorry you found a cricket in your room the pest control guy has been called also we do not have cockroach's the bug that you had brought to us was a black cricket again sorry for any in convince this may have caused you

Reviewed 9 July 2013

The Rugged Country Lodge was one of the first places we've stayed in where TripAdvisor steered us wrong. Neither my wife nor I can understand how this place gets 5-star reviews. The only pro of our entire stay was that our room was clean. I'll keep the cons short and sweet...

STAFF: We were met by a chain-smoking woman in her pajamas who barely acknowledged our presence in the evening. She seemed much the same in the morning when she unlocked the breakfast room for us (same pajamas, lit cigarette, and all). I don't think she greeted us, smiled, or attempted small talk once.

BREAKFAST: Frozen gas station burritos or packaged oatmeal and bottled water. My wife was afraid to drink the coffee.

SURROUNDING AREA: In the morning we noticed ours was the only car in the parking lot. The area around the motel is not the greatest, most of the buildings are run down and far from downtown Pendleton.

We would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank meterin
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This place blurs the line between hotel & motel- there's an outer door for 3 or so rooms, then a small hall or stair inside that leads to your individual room door. It's off the highway, but in front of a relatively busy road nonetheless, about 2 miles from the downtown shopping & dining area, and less than a mile to the Pendleton Woolen Mills. The person in the office checked us in quickly, though it wasn't a cheery welcome by any means. Our 2x queen room was smaller than average, but very nice; Everything was clean, neat, relatively new. The wireless Internet was probably the fastest of the 6 places we stayed at along our trip. The continental breakfast was adequate, but by no means deluxe: No fruit, no pastry, just coffee, bagged bagels, cereal, hard boiled eggs, canned juice, etc. The neighborhood isn't exactly scenic, but it was fine, especially considering that you're in a cow town in the middle of the desert. My wife is squeamish about independent motels, but she was quite happy with this one. If we travel to Pendleton again we would happily stay here a second time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family