“A great stay for the money”

Rugged Country Lodge
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Pendleton
Hayden id.
“A great stay for the money”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We were pleasantly suprised with our stay at the Rugged Country Lodge. It is a older setting but it is well kept and the staff went out of there way to make our stay pleasant. The price of the room was very good, and the room was small but well kept and clean. The buffet was good for the price of the room. The staff was great, and tryed to help in any way. We would stop there again.

Room Tip: There is some train noise, but it was not a problem with us.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Nampa, Idaho
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We first stayed here 4 years ago when our car broke down in Pendleton. The place was amazing...the rooms were small but incredibly comfortable, the breakfast was amazing and the staff treated us like family. We made a special point to stay there this year because we've loved it for so long. What a letdown!! The place was empty, but there were only 3 cookies (not enough for the 4 of us), the girl who checked us in failed to mention anything about the breakfast times or where to go for it (good thing I remembered where from prior stays, and the times were mentioned in the guest information booklet). The TV wasn't working right, I never was able to get the WiFi to work, and the bathroom had never been cleaned from the last occupant--there was a used towel hanging from the hook on the door, and there was a used bar of soap and a used bottle of shower gel in the tub. We showed up for the advertised breakfast 45 minutes before they were supposed to stop serving and found that everything had been cleared away for some cold cereal (no milk for it), a bag of plain bagels (with nothing to put on them) and a few leftover hardboiled eggs. We had to hurry our checkout so we could go get some breakfast for our starving kids, and the day clerk didn't even bother to ask how our stay was. The only thing that had improved was the selection of TV channels!!!!

This place has declined so much that I can only believe the place has changed hands and the new owners are just riding on the old reputation of the place for as long as it lasts. I personally have no intention of ever staying there again unless I can't get anything else.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pearlgearl
Boise
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

After looking at the major chain options along the interstate we thought we'd try something more unique & local. We've had average stays with the chains in the past in Pendleton, so we were hoping to find a better alternative. The pros/cons are listed below, but in summary, it was an average stay- not great not bad but no better than the options on the freeway.

PROs
1) clean
2) unique
3) priced reasonably

CONs
1) staff were ok, not super friendly
2) loud road noise
3) run down area

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank LoveNewPlaces K
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My family and I stay in Pendleton all the time and we use to enjoy staying at this place. It use to be a little bit of of affordable luxury in long family road trips. The rooms were gorgeous with great beds and comforters, spa products in the bathroom, and a really good breakfast with great coffee, and very pet friendly. We had not stayed here in over a year and it has completely changed. There is nothing luxurious about it, think Motel 6 with a fancy name. To all those people that I have recomended this place to I owe you an apology.
We did arrive around 1am but we told them when called for the room that we would be coming in very late. The room was freezing, took some work to get the wall heater working, the bed had a thin blanket and sheets. So gone is the luxuary bed. The bathroom had really cheep toiletries. So gone are the spa products. In the morning when my husband went to check out the breakfast in the rooster room all he found was cold cereal, bagels, and two very rude people. He tried to start a conversation and they did not respond and stared at him like he had no right to be there. When he went to check us out he was unable to find anyone and was forced to just drop our keys in the box and leave without getting a receipt.
The website dose not reflect the current condition or atmosphere of this place. It in no way can be considered a bed and breakfast. While I can't say that we won't stay there again, my husband likes that bed and they let us bring our dog for a reasonable fee, I will not be telling friends that they have to stay there when they are in Pendleton. It is sad another great place on its way to being completely run down.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank dmcarter27
Salem, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My daughter and I were just driving through and needed a room for the night. We googled the Pendleton area and come across the Rugged Country Inn. It was priced at $45 for a double room. To be honest, I was a little scared because it was less than the Motel 6 (and the motel 6 in Pendleton is scary if you ask me) but all the reviews were really good so we though what the heck. It was clean, the staff were extremely friendly, breakfast was included. I would actually stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I've stayed here twice and plan to again when I pass this way. It is nicer than any chain motel - the rooms are lovely and nicely decorated. The bed is wonderful, and the rooms have everything I need. It's clean and quiet and pet friendly. I always meet nice people here. Breakfast is a bonus! Usually don't bother, but it's a nice way to start the day. Love this place!

Room Tip: Every room is different - try them all till you find your favorite. It's not like a chain - eac...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lee R
Tuscan Az
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed there last summer and it was very nice. I came back this October and it wasn't nice at all. when i showed up the front of it look a little bit ran down. i was in the office for about five minutes before someone came out while i was waiting for someone i over heard them arguing about who was coming in the office to help the guest. When the lady came in she was not nice smelled like cigarettes had a WHITE RING IN HER NOSE. She booked my room gave me my key told me were it was then left. i will never stay here again with those people running it.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Lillian1278
RuggedCountryLodge, Manager at Rugged Country Lodge, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
im sorry you had to hear us argue but with any family there is argues. if you choose to stay here again its on us sorry for any inconvince