“Always a great place to stop and sleep well...”

Rugged Country Lodge
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Pendleton
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Since 1996 we have been stopping in Pendleton, between moves from Northern Utah or SE Idaho to Portland, OR or Astoria. We found this cozy place on the main route through town, and have stayed here since when passing through. Their rates are great, the rooms are large, and very cozy. I will always keep them in mind when I need to take the road trip between Western Oregon and Eastern Idaho again. I have worked in the hotel industry off and on for the past 15 years and this place is the best for the price and location. There is a train track 3 or 4 blocks behind it, so be aware of that.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 full beds are very nice and large. Nice desk with wi-fi.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TheRenovator

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stopped off in Pendleton and found this nice place to stay. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable, and while definitely an older property, I felt they were keeping on top of the maintenance. The AC unit didn't work exactly right, but it was neither too hot nor too cold so we had a pleasant stay. There are dogs on adjacent property, but they only barked occasionally and not incessantly as I had feared from previous posts. The price was very reasonable and it was a pleasant nights stay.

The TV was older but worked fine and we had great reception on the wifi which was free. Small fridge and coffee maker in the room as well. I had no problems with the staff and found the gentleman at the desk pleasant. If you are one of those people expecting Hilton top drawer service from a basic rural America hotel, then head on over to the $150 to $300 a night places, but if you are looking for basic, clean, and reasonable, then I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JayATC
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were on a road trip and were looking for an inexpensive place to stay in the area. This family run hotel/motel fit the bill. Rooms were a generous size, beds were comfortable and the breakfast provided included fresh fruit and eggs. $40 is a good deal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Whistler-Mama
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Just thought I'd recommend this establishment for anyone visiting Pendleton. The front desk attendant was friendly and prompt. The room was clean. It is a basic hotel but they did offer free breakfast which was nice. We only stayed one night. Check in was easy and quick. The bed was comfortable and my wife and I agreed we would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This used to be my favorite place to stay in Pendleton. However, after two back-to-back bad stays... I must part ways with what I always considered a hidden gem.

The feel of the hotel used to be friendly and low key. Now, it is just too hillbilly for me. The managers are unprofessional and less than friendly. (For a little insight, I used to be greeted with warm cookies and a nightcap of Pendleton whiskey was waiting at 9 p.m. for all legal aged guests. Both of those have disappeared along with the welcoming staff.) There is a heating unit in my room, but no controls or remote to operate it. I'm freezing!

The level of noise due to housekeeping vacuuming and talking loudly to each other in the common hallway and room next to mine at a little after 9 pm was just ... bizarre. The barking dogs in the backyard outside my windows were my unwanted wake-up call at 5:37 this morning. (I worked until 2:30, so I'm less than rested.)

So, I am sad about the changes. This used to be such a good place. =0(

Room Tip: Get any room on the north end away from the barking herd of dogs. No escaping the train, I'm af...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kelowatt
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We were pleasantly suprised with our stay at the Rugged Country Lodge. It is a older setting but it is well kept and the staff went out of there way to make our stay pleasant. The price of the room was very good, and the room was small but well kept and clean. The buffet was good for the price of the room. The staff was great, and tryed to help in any way. We would stop there again.

Room Tip: There is some train noise, but it was not a problem with us.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We first stayed here 4 years ago when our car broke down in Pendleton. The place was amazing...the rooms were small but incredibly comfortable, the breakfast was amazing and the staff treated us like family. We made a special point to stay there this year because we've loved it for so long. What a letdown!! The place was empty, but there were only 3 cookies (not enough for the 4 of us), the girl who checked us in failed to mention anything about the breakfast times or where to go for it (good thing I remembered where from prior stays, and the times were mentioned in the guest information booklet). The TV wasn't working right, I never was able to get the WiFi to work, and the bathroom had never been cleaned from the last occupant--there was a used towel hanging from the hook on the door, and there was a used bar of soap and a used bottle of shower gel in the tub. We showed up for the advertised breakfast 45 minutes before they were supposed to stop serving and found that everything had been cleared away for some cold cereal (no milk for it), a bag of plain bagels (with nothing to put on them) and a few leftover hardboiled eggs. We had to hurry our checkout so we could go get some breakfast for our starving kids, and the day clerk didn't even bother to ask how our stay was. The only thing that had improved was the selection of TV channels!!!!

This place has declined so much that I can only believe the place has changed hands and the new owners are just riding on the old reputation of the place for as long as it lasts. I personally have no intention of ever staying there again unless I can't get anything else.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family