“This place is a gem.”

Rugged Country Lodge
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Pendleton
Reviewed 17 July 2009

The Rugged Country Lodge is in a tired, older though safe-looking part of town (Hwy 30) not far from railroad tracks, but exceptionally well maintained with clean, attractive garden, friendly staff, bountiful varied continental breakfast. Top recommendation except for location, but frankly Pendleton doesn't have any accommodations in charming neighborhoods that we saw. One caveat: what they call a "suite" is their lowest price room in the basement; best to ask for room on upper floor if that's not what you want.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rugged Country Lodge

Reviewed 9 July 2009

We pulled into Pendelton on the fourth day of a road trip from Texas to Washington and drove around looking for a good spot for our weary family to stop for the night. Rugged Country drew us in with its bright flowers in hanging baskets and non-corporate looks. We are very glad we chose it! The rooms were standard motel layout, but had lovely little touches (lavender on beds, vintage baths) that made a big difference. Quiet, comfortable, convenient. The breakfast was delicious! They even had a highchair (a real one) available for our youngest. And the price was extremely reasonable. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank LauraMAustin
Reviewed 22 May 2009

Just as previous reviewers described. Tastefully decorated and updated rooms. Not large, but large enough! Quiet, though an early morning train which I loved. Car needed for downtown. Reasonable price and so nice to stay in a non-franchise. The lavender was a plus and everything was pristine.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Even though it's taken me a year since our stay at the Rugged Country Lodge to write this review, I definitely didn't forget our nice stay there. It was a welcoming, spotlessly clean, attractive property with the softest, fluffiest towels we've ever had the pleasure of using.

A varied, quality continental breakfast was served in one of two small, charmingly decorated breakfast rooms. I don't recall what kind of yogurt they served, but my very picky children have been clamoring for it ever since.

The only cons were the lack of counterspace in the bathroom (pedestal sink) and the unattractive views from every side. All of the surrounding properties were old, ugly, and run-down. Also, our two-bed room, though beautifully appointed, was a little tight size-wise for us - 2 adults, 2 preteens, and one baby. Would still go back, though - friendly staff, pretty place, good food.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank TravlinTmbleweed
Reviewed 1 July 2008

My husband and I stayed in The Rugged Country Lodge September of 2007. I was born and raised in Pendleton and remember this when it was the old highway motel. It has come a long,long way from when I was a child. The room was very clean and fresh looking. I love the lavender on the bed. It was nice to see such small personal touches. I hate to stay in the chain hotels now. The bed was very comfortable too. I have seen some reviews about being no pool or the train. This is in a way what makes the motel special from the others. I like to listen to the train sounds at night as it is comforting. That it has no pool does not surprise me. In the early years I think it was used mostly as a overnight motel. It is on the old highway so this explains alot. My husband was very impressed with how clean it was. He almost fell in love with it the first visit. He liked going outside to smoke and having the nice scent of flowers. The staff was great and the breakfast very nice. I have no complaints and hated to leave when our stay was over. We will be staying again soon this year and I am looking forward to it again!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 28 June 2008

We stayed at the Rugged Country Lodge last night, June 27. Everything everyone says below is true, except we did get the fresh banana bread :) This place is more like a B&B than a motel in it's level of customer service, decor, and breakfast. I was amazed at the landscaping, hanging baskets, the homemade cookies, cinnamon buns, fresh-made fruit salad, excellent coffee, top-quality OJ, etc. The gal serving even came to make sure we got fruit salad as we came in early and she wasn't sure that we saw it. Where do you get that kind of service anymore???

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2008

We were in Pendleton for a quick last-minute trip. Originally we planned on staying at a franchise hotel, but all they had to offer were smoking rooms. Not Acceptable!. I looked through Trip Advisor and saw The Rugged Country Lodge was rated #1 in town, so I checked out their website. Honestly, it sounded almost too good to be true, and the price was very competitive. Since we were only staying 1 night, I thought we would give it a try. What a nice surprise! The staff was so friendly, offering us tea, coffee, cookies, and an early check-in since we arrived in town sooner than expected. The room was not large, but spotless. The beds were comfortable, and the sprigs of lavendar , little packets of potpourri , and chocolates on the pillows when we arrived were a nice gesture. Breakfast was tasty, though not a large variety of items were offered. The cinnamon rolls were a very nice touch, and the girl in charge of the room even brought them over to our table and offered them to us to make sure we got some before they disappeared. Overall, the only complaint I had about the hotel was that our room was rather noisy, but we were right next to the street. Next time when we stay there I will be sure to request a room towards the back and it should solve the noise problem. The Rugged Country Lodge gets a whole-hearted "thumbs up" from my family, and we will go there when we are in Pendleton again. Be sure to stop by the office for the chocolate chip cookies!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family