“Bait and Switch”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Pendleton
North Plains, Oregon
“Bait and Switch”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I can't in good conscience put a 1 star because when I called the person was very courteous. Nonetheless, she was unable to solve the problem. I did not stay at this hotel but wanted to submit this review because of how unhappy this experience made me.

Yesterday, 05/04/2014, I went to this website as well as another hotel booking website, both of which showed a rate of $36 (plus tax) for a room at this hotel. Because it has gotten good ratings and definitely because of the price, I jumped on it. We only need it for 05/08/2014 as we will be driving through, thus price was a major factor. I got all the way to the end including putting in my credit card number. I was just about to click the final submit when I looked and saw that a small message appeared by the price stating that it had been increased with some lame reason.

Now had I waited a day, or even an hour or so, I could understand; but it was a matter of minutes... the time it takes to fill in the blanks and click next. I realize it was only a matter of about $15, but I chose based on an apparent false price.

I was further dissappointed when I called them to inquire about this only to find out the new "special" has yet again increased from the website price of $49 to a new higher price of $54. This is a poor way to do business.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex W
Andrea D, Owner at The Marigold Hotel - Downtown Pendleton, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Alex I am not sure honestly to say where you are coming from in this review. I remember this call yesterday and the lady I spoke with said you were at Burger King and made a reservation on she thought Priceline. I looked for her reservation and I did not find it. I asked her what the price online was and she said $49. I said that I would match the rate and come on by.
She never mentioned about a $36 dollar rate nor that she had difficulty when trying to make the reservation. She mentioned that she was driving here and was passing some local stores. I gave her the directions. She said she will be here soon that she will stop and get a internet connection. The lady never arrived with Alex, never called back. I feel that this does not represent the actual facts pertaining to this event. If anyone has stayed with us knows we are very accommodating to our guests and go out of our way to help them and have no problem matching rates posted online.
You may have put in a different day as you said your were coming yesterday and in your comment you noted on the 8th. Its unfortunate that you were not more specific on your dates and what was going on so we could of helped you. If you still would like to stay please give us a call. Otherwise God Bless and have a safe trip back to Texas I believe you mentioned.

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Was in town for a meeting and really loved the Knights Inn. Great location, fantastic service and incredibly nice staff. I really loved that it was close to good restaurants, too, including Prodigal's Son and Hamley's Coffee Shop. Thank you!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Andrea D, Owner at The Marigold Hotel - Downtown Pendleton, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you Snowyday2014, your review mentions all we have to offer here at Knights Inn, perfectly in a short and to the point way. We know that there are many choices in Pendleton for your lodging needs and are truly grateful that you chose Knights Inn for your nights stay.

We hope your travels are safe and if you come back this way we hope you give us a call.

Ontario, Oregon
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Was in town for baseball meeting. I was traveling alone so I decided to save a few bucks.
I am glad I did. This motel is very reasonably priced. The owners are very friendly and
their service is great. Continental breakfast is small but they showed where they will be expanding
the area to have a larger area. I was in room 111 on the ground floor next to the end. I had asked for a quite room and it fit the bill. They have cinder block walls that keep the noise down. (could not hear TV) There is some noise from above but ok. While this is an older motel my room was very clean, and pleasant. Everything in my room worked very well. Check in and out was very
easy. This will be my the place to stay when I am in Pendleton Or area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We will be looking forward to having you stay with us again when you come back to Pendleton. Thank you for taking time to write such a nice review. Have a great May!

Onwer
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I usually stay near the freeway when in Pendleton but this time stayed in this wonderful spot downtown. Close to everything - restaurants, shops, and river walk. The room was recently redone, great king bed, immaculate, new high quality linens. I like places with a bit of character. This place has it while maintaining highest customer service standards. The owner/managers have the perfect blend of professionalism and true hospitality. Modest continental breakfast that was perfect for me. The only suggestion I have is upgrading the towels, but overall it was a great stay. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for coming down from the hill to Downtown Pendleton. This a great spot in town to stay and great shops and restaurants to eat at all within walking distance. Now its warming up look for the Friday night Farmers Market, Pendleton Art Center and other great happenings.

We want to thank you also for mentioning our service. We truly feel our guests are like family visiting and go out of our way to make your comfort our priority. Thank you for the suggestion for the towels we will be doing a towel update by the end of May. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Have a great day,

Logan, Utah
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Knights Inn in downtown Pendleton is clean, comfortable, pleasant, and a great bargain for a one-night stop or a stay of several days. It's an older motel, but many of the rooms have been refurbished with new beds, carpet, bathroom tile, and air conditioning/ heating units. The linens are good quality, and the beds are comfortable. The owner-managers are very helpful and concerned with the comfort of their guests.

There are restaurants and diners in easy walking distance, with the Prodigal Son microbrewery across the street an especially good choice for those who enjoy draft beers and ciders and good pub grub

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Pat T
Thank you Pat for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel. We try to bring 5 star service to a price point that is affordable and a good value. Thank you for mentioning our upgrades in the rooms. We put a lot of thought into how to make our rooms more pleasant for our guests and its great to hear you took notice.
Our housekeepers and staff are working hard to provide a clean and comfortable room for our guests.
Its great you mentioned about our location, We are right downtown which is perfect as the weather warms up. What better place to stay after a long drive, you can walk everywhere to eat, shop, site see and relax. We hope that when your return to Pendleton you choose Knights Inn as your place to stay. Have a great Summer.

Andrea
Corsicana, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Upon arrival, the owners gladly showed us a few rooms so that we had our pick of the perfect room, and they even offered to move their car so we could park right in front of our room. We declined, and just parked next to them, as it wasn't really necessary for us to be parked right outside our door; but the offer was impressive in above and beyond customer service.

They have two children, very polite, well behaved kids, who are home schooled and so our families connected instantly, as my children are home schooled as well. My son gave away his Smithsonian weather book to their son, since he was several years younger, and he thought he would find it interesting to learn about all the weather and climates around the world. While none of that has anything to do with the service of the hotel, it did add to the pleasant experience of staying there.

The rooms were cleanly, and as I stated before, the staff was very friendly. Our stay was quiet and the beds were comfortable, and super fast internet, as well as warm air when needed and A/C when needed.

The value of the room was incredibly good, considering it was downtown, clean and quiet. I didn't see any pool or hot tub, but also didn't ask about one. But I have a feeling they didn't have one, or if they did, it was outdoors somewhere.

Parking was a tad odd as you had to turn into the lot going either up on the right to the above ground parking, or down to the left to the below ground. Since I couldn't see my car at all in the below ground, and I spotted zero elevators (for ease of moving luggage), we chose above ground parking right outside of our hotel room door. We missed the turn the first time and had to do a loop around the block to get back to the parking turn in again, as it's a "one way only" kind of road.

Negatives: The TV is very outdated - not the usual flatscreens you find in most hotels), and we couldn't figure out how to get sound on TV, so we didn't watch TV. Later, staff said you have to unplug the black cable box and plug it back in sometimes. Granted, we didn't call it in to complain or ask about, as we just decided that we were better off going to sleep anyway since it was late. Though, the staff said the issue had something to do with the new equipment being used for cable reception.

The breakfast was continental (cold), and since I cannot have milk, that left me with the option of a danish and likely some other bread/grain substitute (I didn't go to the lobby since my family told me pretty much what was there). I don't care for danishes, so I opted to skip breakfast and just eat the food we brought in an ice cooler for our trip.

I give this location 4 out of 5 stars. If they add in some oatmeal with hot water options and this can give folks another option to pick from.

***UNRELATED to the hotel: If the owners suggest the steak house next door, be warned that the steak house costs a great deal more than a burger at a burger joint. If you're spending $70 at the Knights Inn, chances are, you're trying to save money and so a steak for $40 next door is going to be a bit steep. However, the owner and wait staff there are very kind, I can say that much. But when my family and I looked over the menu and noted that a meal for the four of us was going to run (in the least) around $120, with a tip and tax, we had to politely decline to eat there. The waitress was very sweet about it and said it happens a lot. So, we went to the Rainbow cafe as suggested across the street. Except, in Oregon, they have signs on some of the places to eat that simply do not allow anyone under 18 in, at all, no matter if with a parent or not. We weren't looking for alcohol, but even if the place served alcohol, you couldn't go in just to eat at all. We went to three places before finally ending up at the Prodigal Son Brewing down the block. They had a green sign that said all allowed. The food was fantastic, and the staff was VERY friendly.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms, and they will be delighted to allow you to look them over. We picked a bottom...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephanie M
Wow Thank you Stephanie for the wonderful clear and precise review. I think you hit on all points of your stay and I am sure others looking to stay will value your great review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and your kids were a joy to talk with at breakfast. We actually have oatmeal on our continental breakfast and hopefully when you come again we may be located in a larger area for the convenience of our guests where we can offer a few more items to choose from.
We are doing our upgrades one by one and will hopefully be changing the TVs over to flat screen by fall. Anytime you have a concern in the future please don't hesitate to call we are here to help you any time day or night.
Once again thank you for the review. and we will see you again.

Andrea and Surya Das