“Admire the Pioneer Spirit”

Hughes Historic House
Ranked #6 of 10 things to do in Port Orford
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I enjoyed walking around this historic home after visiting Cape Blanco Lighthouse within the state park. This building takes you back in time when you think about when explorers and pioneers first came to the Oregon Coast.

The lace curtains and gingerbread trim gave me the feel of my grandmother's home. I would have taken a tour if it was open, but just walking around and going back in time was enough for me.

All reviews
"keeper"
"spot"
"port"

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We took the quick tour and it was fun to learn about the family's life there. Very nicely restored with helpful volunteers.

Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

To be fair-we arrived on a day that it was closed. Therefore we could not tour the home. It appeared a little run down from the outside. In my opinion, I have seen better places in Dayton and Waittsburg, WA. I wouldn't make a special trip to see it but would stop on the way to the lighthouse.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have toured the historic Hughes House many times and always enjoy it. The house was built in 1898 by the Patrick Hughes family. It had indoor plumbing which was unheard of for houses in the country at that time. The house is restored to it's original beauty and is elegantly maintained. The guides were very kind and knowledgeable. The downstairs part of the tour is guided, and the upstairs is a self tour with interpretive signs. It is only open until 3:30 so plan accordingly.

1  Thank Trailcruising3