“Great property, great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portland International Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland International Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Great property, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently and had the most wonderful time. We were warmly welcomed by the owner, Stephen, who went out of his way to give us information about the local area and hidden attractions. We had room #6 on the 2nd floor which had no ensuite, but a lovely, clean shared bathroom. The place was spotlessly clean, with a communal sitting room and kitchen (which included tea, coffe, juice, etc). We found the atmosphere of these two rooms encouraged guests to converse which made for a lovely stay. Without question, we woul dreturn to this property.

Room Tip: The communal areas are on the lower level so rooms #4, #5 and #6 on the upper level may be marginall...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ricko211

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I recently stayed here with a friend of mine and found it to be very cozy and welcoming. Quite charming, really. The manager, Tim, was very friendly and helpful. They have some basic breakfast items like milk, OJ, tea, coffee, cereal, bread, etc. but they are really close to Trader Joes and Fred Meyer, and you have use of a full kitchen, so it is easy to travel comfortably on the cheap. I would (and probably will) stay here again in the future.

I love spending a day window shopping on 23rd Ave. The location of this guesthouse is so ideal for that.

Room Tip: We were in Room #3 right off of the kitchen. If you want to sleep in past "normal morning hours...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
ninal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We were very pleased to find this basement apartment so close to downtown Portland. It is a fully stocked apartment with kitchen, living room and bedroom. The bed was one of the most comfortable ones that I have found in a vacation rental: soft sheets, cozy comforter and great mattress. The kitchen had every thing we needed to make our own meals: pots, pans, etc. And there was a Trader Joe's on the same block, you can't get more convenient than that. We were also glad to have a full-sized washer and dryer in the unit, so that we didn't have to bring too many clothes. It was quiet, only a couple of bumps from upstairs. The carpet was kind of dingy, but was not a big deal. A real plus was the shower....really strong and a lot of hot water, which is unusual in rentals. There were some brochures and maps and an explanation of the recycling containers outside. A great bargain and a very short walk from the train coming from the airport.

Room Tip: This apartment is separate from the rest of the hostel upstairs and has its own entrance and key.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank boringalice68
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I had a great experience staying here for one night in Room #2. The price was more than fair and the location suited my needs perfectly--close to Trader Joe's and NW 23rd, within walking distance to the TriMet MAX station that takes you to the airport, and within walking distance (in the other direction) to a streetcar stop. Although my room was compact and rather plain in decor, it was immaculately clean and had everything I needed--including an iron, which I had not expected. Initially I was a little apprehensive about using a shared bathroom down the hall. But there were two of them within a few feet of my room, both neat as a pin, and I only had to wait once. Please be aware that the sound from the neighboring guestroom does carry over somewhat--both ways, I'm assuming.

Both the owner and manager were extremely kind, helpful and friendly. My only contact with them was over the phone and through email but I never had any difficulty getting in touch with them. They went out of their way to give me sterling advice about the public transportation system and securely stowed my luggage for a few hours after I checked out. I felt like they welcomed me into their home and offered unobtrusive, excellent service while allowing me to have all the privacy I wanted.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank specialtyk
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

This place is great, it's in a really awesome location. You can walk to shops and great restaurants. The managers are super friendly and the rooms are clean. I really like the vibe of the neighborhood too. We have stayed here 5 or 6 times and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom T
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

It's not that this place is awful, but it should definitely not be ranked so high (currently #3!) for B&Bs in Portland. Here's why:
First off, service: the place is completely impersonal and generic. It's run on auto-pilot mode, which means you will not see an actual human being running anything (welcoming you, checking in/out, etc.). You get your key by putting in an access code and everything else you have to figure out from signs posted everywhere. "Breakfast" is a few boxes of cereal sitting on the counter and coffee that you brew yourself.
As for the "decor," it looks like a random mix of ikea/dorm room/garage sale. Essentially, the impression I walked away with is that the owner put(s) as little effort into this place as possible and tries to run the place in absentee, auto-pilot mode.
The result is a totally uninspired and unwelcoming experience--which for $80 a night might be just fine for some people, but it's nothing you wouldn't get from staying at a cheap motel and part of the reason people choose B&Bs is usually for a more interesting experience.
Finally, location. This was a real disappointment since the website claims that it's in the heart of the best part of Portland--not true! It's not in the heart of anything. It's on a residential street in between two fairly busy streets that have chain stores and sports bars. It feels suburban and not at all hip. Everything that was recommended to me was in the opposite sector of the city so I was always commuting. If the 'vibrant' neighborhood the website is referring to is the Pearl district, that's at least a mile away on foot.
And one last thing in case it matters to you, don't get excited that it's a "gay-friendly B&B" since the term is meaningless here--there's absolutely nothing gay or friendly about it. You won't see rainbow flags, gay magazines, it's not in the cool gay neighborhood, etc.

Again, if you're looking for a relatively cheap crash-pad and don't care about these things, then this might be a good option for you. But I definitely would not want to spend more than one night here. It will add absolutely nothing to enhance your impression or experience of the city. I would so much rather spend $20 more a night and go somewhere memorable with a better location.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank C A
stephenpdxgh, Owner at Portland International Guesthouse, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Wow, I’m really sorry this person had such a bad experience! As the owner, I always want people to enjoy our guesthouse and our wonderful neighborhood. Instead of countering these mischaracterizations of our facility, neighborhood and our gay friendliness I suggest readers take a look at our other reviews that give an accurate measure of our establishment.
Cheers, Stephen
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Good, clean, value for money GH. Rooms are good quality, bathrooms and kitchen clean. Lots of info on Portland, good quiet location close to two main streets for shopping and food, beautiful area, close to bus stops if needed. Shared bathrooms, but enough to go around. Arrival and check in system easy, regardless of when you check in. Keep in mind it is like a high end hostel rather than a hotel, so the room isn't cleaned every day, the breakfast is basic but OK (self serve) and there are common areas - very cosy.
Portland has a number of very good mid range hotels as well elsewhere but I would come back here as good value for money and good location. WiFi is good too.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor away from common areas and two bathrooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple