“Wonderful guesthouse - great location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland International Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 33 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed for 7 nights at the end of May/start of June, and found the Portland International Guesthouse to be a wonderful place to stay in a brilliant city. It's excellent value.

I was in Portland for work, and found the Guesthouse to be conveniently located about a 15 minute walk away from down-town, and the guesthouse is also well served by frequent buses which stop only a block or two away. The Nob Hill area that the guesthouse in is a lovely part of town just below the entrance to Washington Park.

All the rooms are decorated to a high standard, with a modern feel to them. I initially stayed in Room #6 which was located at the back of the house on the third floor, and found the room to be very big and in a quiet location. My last few nights were in Room #2 which was smaller, although still very comfortable and more noisey as it's at the front of the house.

Both rooms had a comfortable bed, chair, wardrobe and shelves in them. I never had to queue for the shared bathrooms and all were kept clean by both guests and staff. None of the rooms have TV but their is a very nice lounge should you want to watch the news or your favourite show.

The guesthouse is quiet and you don't see much of the host, Tim, but whenever I had a question or query he was always quick to answer via phone/email. If you're looking for somewhere to socialise with other guests then this isn't the place for you, but if you're looking for somewhere that you can get a good and comfortable night sleep then it's perfect. It has fast and free wi-fi and lots of information about the city should you need it.

Breakfast is simple and self-service, so I found myself taking advantage of the various coffee shops around the city, but the well equipped kitchen and supermarkets close-by made it easy to produce an evening meal rather than having to eat out. The kitchen has a big fridge so you can easily store supplies. There are also lots of good places to eat and drink within a 5 minute walk on 21st and 23rd Street.

Will definitely be staying here again when I return to Portland.

Room Tip: Room 6 is at the back of the house so quieter than those at the front.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Snuggled in the middle of two trendy commercial districts, the Portland International Guesthouse is a low-frills older wooden house. It has a sitting room stocked with books and magazines/flyers of local attractions, free wifi, street parking (one reservable parking spot next door as well, available for $7/night), and a kitchen equipped with basic breakfast items of cereal, milk, coffee and tea. The accommodations are clean, and although the owners are not constantly on-site, they show up daily to clean up and were friendly when we did run into them. Theres a bunch of well-reviewed cheap eats nearby, and a Trader Joes just a few doors down. Overall this place was very nice despite its low cost - definitely great value.
The downside is that the walls are rather thin - we were able to hear occasional road noise (although it is generally a very quiet street). Upon reading the room tips, we chose one of the rooms upstairs to avoid the morning noise, and although there is a 10pm quiet policy, this doesn't help much if you get noisy guests stumbling in at 2am. By no means the fault of the guesthouse, but it may have helped if our room (#4) didn't happen to be right next to the stairs. I'd recommend trying rooms 5 or 6 as they are slightly farther from the bathroom/stairs.
Overall, we were quite happy with the Guesthouse, its location, and the overall quality of the place.

Room Tip: Room #4 was upstairs so there wasn't any morning noise, but I'd recommend trying rooms #5 or...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tepidhobbes
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We had such a nice stay at the PIG. It definitely exceeded my expectations for a "hostel"! Everything was very clean, including the bathrooms. The sitting room was comfy and cozy and the kitchen very homey. Towels are provided, as well as tea, coffee, and cereal for the guests. It's almost like being at home! Great location, too. Wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Portland!

Room Tip: We were in room #2 on first floor. Next to sitting room, close to bathrooms and kitchens. Had no p...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kaitlyn M
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently and had the most wonderful time. We were warmly welcomed by the owner, Stephen, who went out of his way to give us information about the local area and hidden attractions. We had room #6 on the 2nd floor which had no ensuite, but a lovely, clean shared bathroom. The place was spotlessly clean, with a communal sitting room and kitchen (which included tea, coffe, juice, etc). We found the atmosphere of these two rooms encouraged guests to converse which made for a lovely stay. Without question, we woul dreturn to this property.

Room Tip: The communal areas are on the lower level so rooms #4, #5 and #6 on the upper level may be marginall...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ricko211
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I recently stayed here with a friend of mine and found it to be very cozy and welcoming. Quite charming, really. The manager, Tim, was very friendly and helpful. They have some basic breakfast items like milk, OJ, tea, coffee, cereal, bread, etc. but they are really close to Trader Joes and Fred Meyer, and you have use of a full kitchen, so it is easy to travel comfortably on the cheap. I would (and probably will) stay here again in the future.

I love spending a day window shopping on 23rd Ave. The location of this guesthouse is so ideal for that.

Room Tip: We were in Room #3 right off of the kitchen. If you want to sleep in past "normal morning hours...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We were very pleased to find this basement apartment so close to downtown Portland. It is a fully stocked apartment with kitchen, living room and bedroom. The bed was one of the most comfortable ones that I have found in a vacation rental: soft sheets, cozy comforter and great mattress. The kitchen had every thing we needed to make our own meals: pots, pans, etc. And there was a Trader Joe's on the same block, you can't get more convenient than that. We were also glad to have a full-sized washer and dryer in the unit, so that we didn't have to bring too many clothes. It was quiet, only a couple of bumps from upstairs. The carpet was kind of dingy, but was not a big deal. A real plus was the shower....really strong and a lot of hot water, which is unusual in rentals. There were some brochures and maps and an explanation of the recycling containers outside. A great bargain and a very short walk from the train coming from the airport.

Room Tip: This apartment is separate from the rest of the hostel upstairs and has its own entrance and key.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boringalice68
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I had a great experience staying here for one night in Room #2. The price was more than fair and the location suited my needs perfectly--close to Trader Joe's and NW 23rd, within walking distance to the TriMet MAX station that takes you to the airport, and within walking distance (in the other direction) to a streetcar stop. Although my room was compact and rather plain in decor, it was immaculately clean and had everything I needed--including an iron, which I had not expected. Initially I was a little apprehensive about using a shared bathroom down the hall. But there were two of them within a few feet of my room, both neat as a pin, and I only had to wait once. Please be aware that the sound from the neighboring guestroom does carry over somewhat--both ways, I'm assuming.

Both the owner and manager were extremely kind, helpful and friendly. My only contact with them was over the phone and through email but I never had any difficulty getting in touch with them. They went out of their way to give me sterling advice about the public transportation system and securely stowed my luggage for a few hours after I checked out. I felt like they welcomed me into their home and offered unobtrusive, excellent service while allowing me to have all the privacy I wanted.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo