All reviews trader joes home away from home other guests alphabet district bulletin board ken's artisan bakery japanese garden common sitting room entire place was spotless great location international rose garden washington park great wifi turn of the century top floor within blocks felt like home
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Portland International Guesthouse is a great option for those not looking to spend a lot on accommodation in Portland, but who also want a nice place to stay. The Guesthouse is very clean, the shared bathrooms are in excellent condition, and rooms are comfortable. There is a nice outdoor patio on the second floor--a great place to enjoy a beer in the late afternoon. The location is superb, many places offering food and entertainment within walking distance. Trader Joe's is right around the corner, too, which is nice if you want to skip eating out. The only drawback is parking. It's a difficult neighborhood to find a parking spot. That was the only negative discovered, but would not keep me from staying there again next time I'm in Portland.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This Guesthouse was a gem of a find for our two-night stay in Portland. It is easy to get to, and our room (#4) was very clean, roomy and comfortable, and the price was great. The guestrooms share bathrooms, but there are two or three roomy and nice bathrooms, and that was never a problem. This B&B is in a great central location on Knob Hill, but that also means it is going to have city neighborhood street noises. That did not bother us at all, but just be aware. Because we were touring NW Oregon and the Seattle, WA, area, we did have a rental car. We arrived very late on Saturday night after an unplanned tour of Mt. Rainer and the National Park and were unable to find a parking spot. The host had told us to call him if we did have problems, so at 11:00 we were calling, and he was so nice and helpful and allowed us to park in the B&B driveway. We did not have any problem finding parking on the street for the rest of our stay. The breakfast is minimal--cereal and coffee, but as stated, very easy to get food at Trader Joe's or just enjoy breakfast at a local restaurant. We really liked that option instead of feeling like we had to do breakfast at the Guesthouse. We would stay here anytime we were fortunate to visit Portland.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lammac
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Very clean, comfortable room in a guesthouse with a shared bathroom. Great restaurants and shopping very close by and many more within walking distance. We used public transportation and were easily able to access the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jlb113
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I loved my visit to the Portland International Guesthouse. I stayed on the top floor and shared a bathroom with 1 other guestroom. My room was huge with comfy beds. I left the windows open during my entire stay (day and night). The location is great with several restaurants and shops within close walking distance. I even walked to the International Rose Garden. The walk was uphill but definitely doable. My only complaint was parking .... I got lucky the first night and parked right outside the guesthouse but the rest of the time I couldn't get within 5 blocks. So be prepared to walk. There is a small driveway for unloading but you're only allowed to park there for 10 minutes. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Smessen
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We (a family of 3 with a 5 year old) stayed over at the Guesthouse for a night in september, when ending our road trip coming from Utah.

If you've seen nothing but wilderness and western towns for two weeks, Portland brings you back to the hectic reality. The PI Guesthouse however is a haven of tranquility.

Our host was just great: arriving a bit early was no issue at all. The whole PDX concept breathes an atmosphere of trust and calm.

The room (nr 6)was spotlessly clean with plenty of space.

Parking in the neighbourhood proved not to be that big an issue.

Of course, a 'quiet neighbourhood' is very relative in Portland (expecially after having heard only trees and birds for two weeks), so we did need ear plugs.

Great place for a very very soft price!

Room Tip: all rooms looked great
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family