All reviews trader joes home away from home other guests alphabet district bulletin board ken's artisan bakery japanese garden common sitting room entire place was spotless great location international rose garden washington park great wifi turn of the century top floor within blocks felt like home
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I am not one to normally stay in accommodations with shared bathrooms, but I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful my stay was at this guesthouse. Check in/out was very simple and convenient, the house and its amenities were a delight, everything was clean and well thought out, and our hosts were extremely friendly!

If you are looking for a relaxed and cheaper alternative to the traditional downtown hotel, I would highly recommend checking out this neighborhood gem. I will definitely be back on my next trip!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 which is up two flights of stairs on the top floor. There is one bathroom and 3 rooms (#4, #5 and #6) on this floor. The stairs were intimidating at first, but the top floor feels more private than the middle level, which includes the living room and kitchen.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aliskate1
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Super easy check in. The rooms were clean and the A/C was wonderful during the hot summer nights. The shared areas (bathrooms, kitchen, common room) were kept very neat and tidy by ourselves and the other guests. I appreciated that guest were allowed to keep a few items in the fridge. The only negative was that they had run out of cereal in the morning. The location had a great neighbourhood feel, walking distance to Trader Joe's, REI and hip restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My sister and I spent the first two nights of our Pacific Northwest trip here--I can't imagine a warmer welcome to this part of the country. From the phone call I made to verify details before coming, to the kind tips for sight-seeing we were given as we pulled out of the driveway to depart, the staff was above and beyond kind and helpful. The house was very clean, our room (#5) was just lovely, and public spaces (kitchen, porch, living area) warm and welcoming. No problems with noise--street or otherwise. The location was great, too--a short block from lots of shops and restaurants on 23rd, and walking distance to downtown. We highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I can't think of a guesthouse or B&B I've stayed at that was this hands-off. I might never have even seen the proprietors at all if I had not happened randomly upon them. (Apparently, they are readily available by phone if you need them though.) You arrive with the access code, there's your name and key in a small brown envelope on the corkboard with your room number. My room (#6) bed with the shared bath was up some stairs, so might not work for the physically infirm or those who need their own bathroom. I slept well and found the establishment well-maintained. Combine with this great location and price and I was perfectly happy. 5 examples why it's a great location:
1. World Cup Coffee and Tea is on nearby Glisan & 18th for those of use who need a stronger cup of coffee to get us going in the morning,
2. #77 bus gets you downtown
3. You could alternatively walk downtown in about 15-25 minutes depending upon where you're going; the fun energy of the Pearl District is a 10 minute walk.
4. You can walk for about 15-20 minutes in the other direction and get to Washington Park, with its famed International Rose Test Garden and Japanese Garden.
5. There's a hubbub of activity (and "hipsters") on 21st Street and Glisan Streets within a block or so of the guesthouse.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We have just spent a week in the apartment at this Guest House and it was wonderful.The area is lovely with lots to see and do and plenty of cafes and restaurants on the doorstep.The public transport is ideal with a bus stop very near.The apartment is perfect,a good size and very well equipped.I couldn't think of anything that wasn't provided.We really enjoyed our week there and would love to have stayed for longer.There was plenty of information provided for things to do and places to visit and Tim was always on hand with helpful advice.Thanks for making the last week of our months holiday so memorable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple