All reviews trader joes home away from home other guests alphabet district bulletin board ken's artisan bakery japanese garden common sitting room great location international rose garden washington park turn of the century top floor within blocks felt like home queen bed bed and breakfast
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Guesthouse. My room was spacious and, like the bathroom and kitchen, clean and homey. Staying here felt like a home away from home. I encountered the owner Tim near the end of my stay, who personally cleans and looks after the rooms. Staff live in the same house downstairs and are always accessible by phone. I would recommend the Guesthouse for independent, savvy travelers. Also, the location was excellent with a lot of great bars, restaurants, book shops, bakeries, etc. within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelingOn19
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is a cheap option for staying in what can be an expensive city...I searched everywhere! Finding this at $70 per night was a bargain!

The area is not far from pioneer square and downtown. I walked there and it was fine. Didnt take more than 15 mins. The surrounding area was awesome. Plenty of restaurants to eat lunch and dinner at, plus there was a walgreens 2-3 blocks to the right of flanders st and a trader joes 2 driveways left so plenty of food and snack options in this area.

The house is lovely. I stayed on the top floor so I had to lift heavy suitcases up these, but i didn't mind and from Seattle experience I knew the houses would be like this here too. The room was great. It was simple but cool on the hot days which was needed. The bathroom was clean and looked after always. The kitchen had a microwave and kettle so you could use these if you needed to and you could use the fridge if you labelled your food. But it was great having access to these. There wasn't a tv in the room, but there was a lounge area with a tv so you did have one. I used wifi while I was there and watched netflix anyway so it suited me nicely.

I would stay here again for sure. The check in and check out process was easy to do and even though I never spoke to the owners, I felt looked after and knew I could call them if i had any issues.

What a great place to stay that gives you a true feel of Portland in a beautiful house.

Room Tip: Room 106 was great!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank enchantedserendipity
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night and found it in a perfect location. The room was large and check in was easy. All instructions were clearly posted and there was no ambiguity about how to check out, what food was for guests, etc. the staff was super friendly but I only talked with them on the phone. They happily stored our luggage until we picked it up for our flight. Great trader joes cereal but also around the corner from a magnificen bakery-- kens. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Katie B
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I am not one to normally stay in accommodations with shared bathrooms, but I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful my stay was at this guesthouse. Check in/out was very simple and convenient, the house and its amenities were a delight, everything was clean and well thought out, and our hosts were extremely friendly!

If you are looking for a relaxed and cheaper alternative to the traditional downtown hotel, I would highly recommend checking out this neighborhood gem. I will definitely be back on my next trip!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 which is up two flights of stairs on the top floor. There is one bathroom and 3 rooms (#4, #5 and #6) on this floor. The stairs were intimidating at first, but the top floor feels more private than the middle level, which includes the living room and kitchen.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aliskate1
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Super easy check in. The rooms were clean and the A/C was wonderful during the hot summer nights. The shared areas (bathrooms, kitchen, common room) were kept very neat and tidy by ourselves and the other guests. I appreciated that guest were allowed to keep a few items in the fridge. The only negative was that they had run out of cereal in the morning. The location had a great neighbourhood feel, walking distance to Trader Joe's, REI and hip restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013