“Why stay anywhere else in Portland?”

Portland International Guesthouse
Ranked #8 of 33 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I used to live in Portland so we haven't had occasion to stay in many hotels here. I was blown away by the cost of various traditional hotels when planning a getaway to PDX recently for a friend's wedding. We elected to go with the low cost option, and wondered why anyone would pay 2-3x as much to stay in a traditional hotel in PDX. The location was perfect, a parking permit was provided at no cost, the room was comfortable and clean, and although there was a shared bathroom we never, ever saw anyone else using it. Addtionally, the guesthouse was very quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms 4,5,6 are all on the top floor and are the most quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank faeanna

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just stayed solo for a week, echoing what others have said: terrific value, great location, good set-up, relaxing stay. No front desk, you have a room in a shared house, you're given access code to come in when you arrive, & pick up your keys on the bulletin board. Stayed in Room2, on the 2nd floor, next to the TV room, it was near the two shared bathrooms & shared kitchen (cereal, bread/butter/jam, juice, milk); better to be on that floor with my heavy luggage. No car, did sightseeing tours that picked me up--Hub Tours, Evergreen Escapes, & Eat Adventures, and walked a lot. From downtown, I walked back to the house.

The guesthouse was clean, homey, & with fewer rooms, so it's quiet and not crowded. It was a good location--quiet, nice neighborhood, & walkable to the rose garden, restaurants, shops.

Walked up to Rose Garden; then walked to Japanese Garden, then walked trail up to Hoyt Aboretum. Walked to Sterling Coffee Roasters & Ken's Artisan Bakery--both very close; Trader Joe's two driveways away; walked to Dick's Kitchen on 21st Ave--casual, reasonable, very relaxing atmosphere.

The owner was very helpful in responding to my questions. I would highly recommend this place, can't be beat for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank persianmix44
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This place has no reception which is great. A door code was sent to us in advance and when we arrived, after midnight due to a missed connection, it worked perfectly. We were so thankful to be able to get in for the night. The bedroom and shared facilities (lounge, shower/toilets, and kitchen) are high spec and in good condition. Free local calls could be made from the lounge and there was Wi-Fi available. We met one of the owners the next day and he was very friendly and chatty. The location is good, not too far from Burnside for the bus and the JELD-WEN TriMet stop; a little further out from the city centre but still within walking distance and we did a good loop from here out to the St Honore Boulangerie, Lan Su Chinese Garden, Voodoo Donuts, and Powell’s Bookstore. Note that the access is via a slighty hidden recessed side door (our taxi driver could not find it at first).

Room Tip: Once inside, there is a pretty steep staircase to navigate, especally if you are on the top floor. O...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank iseult72petunia
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Travelling over Canada and Alaska and arriving in thr pouring rain we easily found our key and room. They have such a good system here that I a surprised other establishments haven't adopted it. Easy to get in then your key is waiting for you. Forgot we got breakfast included....cereals and toast but that's all you will need when exploring the local culinary delights that portland has to offer. Lovely hosts, very pleasant and friendly. Wifi. Great neighbourhood. ..very cool, gay friendly and some great places to eat and drink. Check out the the local happy hours. Only complaint is that we are only here for 2 days. Will definitely stay here should we return to Portland.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kwill157
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This place is inexpensive, superbly located, clean, friendly. Although the bathrooms are shared, there are enough of them so that we never had to compete for access. In fact, we hardly noticed that anyone else was staying there. There is a kitchen equipped with everything you need to prepare a meal - refrigerator, microwave, dishes, etc - and even a bit of cold cereal. There is a Trader Joe's a block away, so it is really easy to prepare your own meals. The neighborhood is great, lots of restaurants and coffee places. Ken's Artesan Bakery is less than a block away. The movie theater is two blocks away. Washington Park is a quick walk. Downtown is less than a half hour walk. The establishment will loan you a parking permit so you can park on the street. We managed to keep our car right in front of the guest house for two days.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N0dell
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We just returned from our second stay at the Guesthouse and are as enthusiastic as we were the first time. It is located in a beautiful section of the city, close to shops, restaurants and public transportation. No need for a car because there is so much within walking distance and the train is a few blocks away. The rooms are very comfortable, spacious and clean. It is great to have a kitchen available, especially with a Trader Joe's right around the corner. What a great place. We wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed on both the third floor and the second floor and found both rooms to be great.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank BRJ62
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed at the Portland International Guesthouse for one week while attending The Floral Design Institute. I was a bit apprehensive as I'd never stayed in a guesthouse setting and wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised! My room was clean and comfortable and I felt as through I was home. The hosts were very welcoming and the facility is spotless. The neighborhood is very safe and I didn't need to rent a car. I enjoyed stopping at the many cafes in the morning for a fresh latte and scone before continuing to school. There are fun shops and wonderful restaurants in the area. I was never bothered by a busy front desk or hustle bustle upon checking in and departing. The bulletin board in the foyer was an excellent method of communication and if there was a need to speak to the owners, all I had to do was make a phone call. I cannot thank the owners enough for answering my questions before I arrived (it was my first time in Portland) and for their clean and comfortable guesthouse. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo