“Best Fish & Chips in Portland”
Review of Horse Brass Pub

Horse Brass Pub
Ranked #444 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Portland, Oregon
“Best Fish & Chips in Portland”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is a great pub that the owners fashioned after English pubs they'd visited in the UK. No loud TV's in here - except when there are soccer games on - especially the Portland Timbers... there's only on TV for that. Several dart boards are available; a large bar, great staff, and excellent food. Horse Brass has the best fish and chips in town. Bangers & Mash and other English favorites are also available. The beer menu is dynamic and full of local fare from Portlands numerous micro-breweries.

Minors are allowed only until 5PM; after that, it's 21 & over only.

You'd be missing out to not stop at Horse Brass while in town.

• Visited March 2014

Honolulu
“Nasty Pasty”
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Nasty pasty ...and just about everything else was nasty too.
I know how pasties are supposed to taste. I have eaten them in Cornwall and other parts of England. I have also tasted a reasonable facsimile in another English style pub in Portland (Saraveza).
Pasties (and all pastries) should be baked for browning and crisping -- NOT nuked in the microwave. It was a soggy NASTY mess. To add insult to injury, they ladeled brown gravy over the top, for extra goopiness. Instead of being able to pick it up in my hands to eat it the way it was intended, I required a knife and a fork -- probably a spoon too (though I didn't get one).
Another member of our party ordered a chicken pot pie. It was similarly nuked, with a soggy crust.
There was a good variety of beer. Perhaps if I had consumed enough of those, the food wouldn't have tasted quite so horrid.
They shouldn't serve food if they can't be bothered to get it right.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank LizOHonolulu
Roseburg, Oregon
“"Vast but Dingy"”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Mixed review on Horse Brass Pub. This place offers a tremendous assortment of micro-brews from all over Oregon,Washington and California as well as other countries. While looking at the beer menu we counted over 65 different beer choices! There is something for everyone here. I ordered the Snap Crackle Pop (IPA) by Elysian Brewery in Seattle, WA. It was deliciously bitter. Now about the pub: dark, dirty and dingy. The whole place needed a good scrubbing and sprucing up. Menu looked good although we didn't eat. If you like beer and expect nothing else - this place is for you. If you want a special location to bring friends from out of town - I'd choose somewhere else. Our bartender was friendly and helpful..

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank OregonProud7
Portland, OR
“England in Portland”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

If I would have reviewed this place a couple years ago, this rating would be at least two stars lower. The service used to be horrendous. It didn't matter who I got, they each acted as if I just ruined their life for wanting to patron their establishment. EVERY single time. It was so unwelcoming I actually boycotted this joint for almost a year.

Those fish and chips though....I had to have them, so I decided to see if things had changed. My first stop back was much improved. Since then, we haven't had a single bad experience. Sure, the servers don't smile much, aren't over-the-top friendly, but I actually like what they've got going on. They check-in just the right number of times, offer great feedback on their selection of beers and I really enjoy coming here now.

I have never eaten anything here other than the fish and chips. It's the BEST halibut I've ever had. The fish is lightly battered and perfectly cooked. The slaw is also the best I've had - love the slight kick to it. The chips are great. I love that they offer vinegar as a condiment. It wouldn't be complete without it.

The beer. So.much.beer. There are so many choices, it's actually overwhelming for me. I always get the same thing for the first beer or two. If I have a third, that is usually when I try something new. Always an IPA. I hate a disappointing beer, so I stick with what I like. This is the spot if you want to try out some new beers.

The ambiance is great. You definitely feel like you have been transported across the Pond to England. It's almost always crowded here, but I have never had to wait for a table. I also never feel rushed to get out of here. It's a great spot to spend time catching up with friends.

I dig this place.

Visited December 2013
Portland, Oregon
“FISH AND CHIPS!!!”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Best Fish and Chips in Portland! Great Pub with one of the best servers in Portland named Matt. This place is great to eat, drink many of their beers on tap and play some good darts. Check this place out if you are on SE Belmont St.

• Visited November 2013