“Spacious, great location, value”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center
Ranked #59 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Victoria, Canada
“Spacious, great location, value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

We booked a 2-bedroom loft suite for my family of 3 adults and one teen over the past long weekend. We had been to Portland twice before, once staying on the downtown side of the city and the second near the Convention Center. We had stayed in Residence Inn in New Hampshire and found that both were held to the same high standards. In fact, even the art posters in the room were the same.

This is an excellent facility especially if one plans to cook. There was enough space for everyone to be comfortable (3 tv's...and all were in use) including two bathrooms. We used the fully-equipped kitchen for one supper and two lunches as breakfast was included at their guest house. Unlike many hotels, the breakfast room actually has adequate space for everyone. There was an overflow area in a loft that I never saw used as it wasn't needed. Breakfast was good and very filling. Lots of choices of hot or cold and they continually refilled when needed.

My only complaint would be that the automatic fan for heating/ventilation in the suite was very loud and strong. When sitting at the dining table, the air was strong enough to blow my papers off the table. We directed the vent upwards which helped, but my son found he was awakened several times at night when the fan went on. Heating and ventilation is not a problem...adequate warmth for the weather.

Having read previous reviews about this hotel, I knew to pick the top floor and prepared to walk the three floors as there is no elevator. The floors are very thin. I could hear my son's footsteps in the loft bedroom above me. All entrances are from outside which gives an extra bit of privacy, but also allowed the cold air to come in when opened. The loft bedroom above the first bedroom is unique as I hadn't seen in other hotels before. So saying, there is no door for this bedroom and the stairs is a long set straight up. My teenager didn't mind at all.

Location is ideal. It's across from the Lloyd Center for shopping, Safeway is on the other side of the mall. The MAX line is a block down and can get you anywhere. The newest information is that the bus/train transport is no longer free in the downtown/Lloyd Center core. This was changed as of Sept 1/12. Still an easy and efficient way to get around. This hotel is close to the convention center and I saw a few groups there who obviously were attending some conference.

There is ample parking and at no cost unlike downtown hotels. We used the car to get to several places that were outside of the downtown area. We were able to park near our suite.

Pool is seasonal being outside.

Keep checking the website in case the room rate changes. I found a price drop a week earlier and was able to call their toll-free reservatino line and get the lower rate.

For sure, we will stay in this hotel again the next time we go to Portland.

Room Tip: Take upper floor but be prepared to climb stairs. The two-bedroom loft suite is really unique and f...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jdglek
ripdxlc, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am glad to see that you were pleased with our property and its location. I will be sure to pass on your kind remarks to our staff, and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Portland.

Max K.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Traveled to Portland for a conference at the DoubleTree, which unfortunately got sold out so I booked a room down the street at the Residence Inn. Large suites, totally renovated with modern kitchens and fireplaces. The location was a bit out of the way for public transit to downtown Portland. Breakfast (included) was ok. They also hosted a free BBQ one night, but we missed it as the food didn't look very appetizing. Overall I'd rate the hotel as average....you get a nice nights sleep, for a reasonable price. Basically what you'd expect.

Portland is awesome though...great food and nightlife!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
ripdxlc, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you for your comments – I am very pleased that you noticed our new look. I am sorry however that you did not like our complimentary food.
We appreciate your business, and hope to serve you again in the future.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed in a 3rd floor suite accessed via stairs. The room had an upstairs loft bedroom with a window that opened. Unfortunately, the location is in close proximity to the freeway and so road noise is unavoidable if the window is open.

The suite was furnished with a kitchenette with a full size refrigerator and stove, and equipped for cooking meals. We spent three nights there, and made use of the kitchen for one dinner.
Everything we needed was available.

The location of this hotel is within walking distance of the RoseGarden stadium so it would be a good spot to stay if you were coming into Portland for an event. It's also walking distance to the river, river walking trails, the bridges crossing over into downtown, the Saturday Market and more. The grounds have large trees making it very pleasant, and
the room we stayed in was recently remodeled. There were washing machines convenient to our room so we took the opportunity to do our laundry. The pool is large, and there are gas BBQ available throughout the grounds as well as outdoor tables for meals.

All in all, a very suitable location for relaxation and convenience.

Room Tip: If you are mobility impaired be sure to ask for a ground floor room, as there are no elevators for u...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
ripdxlc, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I’m sorry you found our rooms noisy. Your right, with open windows, the highway can sometimes be loud.
Overall however, I was pleased to see that you were happy with your stay, and we look forward to serving you again soon.

wellington, fl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

I had high hopes for this property since I stayed there for 3 weeks back in 1995 for business...and eventually moved to Portland. I know the area is now a little sketchy; but, since we are loyal Marriott members and the staff seemed so nice when I called, I thought all would be ok...even with renovation, I understand that and we never had a problem with it.

One problem was the air compressor next to our room would consistently turn on & off...after recovering from jetlag, this became a problem & we pointed it out...never resolved.

Housekeeping is pretty pushy about trying to get in and tidy up each day...annoying at best, especially when you have the "do not disturb" sign on the door (it's a magnet).

We asked for and were given synthetic logs to burn in the fireplace and were assured (we asked several times) that the flue was open...were told it was...well, it wasn't and in no time flat the room began to fill with smoke...when we called they responded immediately with a fan for us; but, come on, either provide some instructions or make sure the flue is open!! That resulted in a lot of congestion for both of us.

All this I can overlook; but, the icing on the cake was when my expensive compression socks went missing...I checked all over the room and even thought when I returned home they might be in some compartment of my suitcase...nope...ripped off! I mentioned this when we checked out but never heard anything back...so, won't be staying here again. Free parking and Marriott points aren't worth the headaches we had here.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gypsybaker
I appreciate your comments regarding our property. I am sorry that you did not rest well due to the noise outside your suite. In fact it appears that we failed you in several ways. I certainly apologize for these inconveniences, and hope you will not hold it against the Marriott family of hotels.
Thanks again for your feedback.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

My husband and I have been staying here several times a year for about 20 years, and have seen lots of changes during that time. Our most recent visit was just a few days ago, and this Residence Inn is the best it's ever been! Rooms are in the process of being refurbished and everything is fresh and up-to-date. Breakfasts are the best anywhere, service is excellent, the new BBQ areas are quite nice, and the pool and spa are great. We travel a lot, and have never found anyplace as good as the Residence Inn Lloyd Center.

Room Tip: Top floor facing inner courtyard are the quietest rooms. No elevators, but they have someone to car...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you enjoyed our new look, we are very excited about it.
It’s great you have allowed us to serve you for 20 years, we appreciate it very much and we look forward to 20 more!

Davis, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

We were three adults so we got a two bedroom suite on the third floor. No elevator but that was the only negative. Comfortable beds, great breakfast options, pool and hot tub. Friendly staff and plenty of parking. Our building was just across the street from the freeway but noise was not a factor. Full kitchen and 3 TVs. Lloyd Center is only a one block walk away.

Room Tip: If you have the wonderful weather we enjoyed, consider renting bikes and touring the City via bike...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback, we sure appreciate you staying with us. Three stories and no elevator can be challenging, but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Your right - we are a great bike town.

We hope to see you again soon.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Me along with 8 others stayed at this property last July. The units are very spacious and comfortable and were well equipped.The location was central to where we wanted to be. They are two storied with two bathrooms, one up and one down. We were on the third floor, which made it a bit of a chore climbing the stairs with heavy bags.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback, we sure appreciate you staying with us. Being on the 3rd floor, I hope that we offered to give you assistance with your luggage.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Thanks again,