“I love this family style hotel”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center
Ranked #55 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Kirkland, Washington
“I love this family style hotel”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was my frist time staying at a hotel that was pretty much like a home. I booked a studio type room via Priceline and didn't expect much beforehands. I just knew that there was such a hotel that is very close to Lloyd Center - where I visited a lot for shopping and fun. It turned out to be that this is exactly what I wanted for traveling with my family. Their studio room type offers stoves and oven, so you can cook by yourself; it has a living room with sofabed and TV so you can relax a little bit after one whole day of touring and shopping; it's very close to Lloyd Center, not far from OMSI, so is a perfect location for me and my family. The only concern is that it's a little bit too close to I-84 and lightrail, which generate a lot of noises - but if you close your windows then it's not a big deal.

Room Tip: Don't miss their breakfast - it was very nice; their studio room type offers stoves and oven so...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KirklandTom
Aaron A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 10 December 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am really glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel has a great central location for Portland activities, especially the Lloyd Center Mall which is just a few blocks away from us. We hope you and your family are able to come stay with us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Reviewed 27 February 2014

As I mentioned in the title, the staff at the hotel is friendly and wanting to please the guests. Overall, I just found this hotel to be average, and that's at best.

I found the rooms to be a little noisy from the people upstairs and next door. The exercise room is disfunctional. While on the treadmill, you get a great view of gray wallpaper, the TV is located behind you and you can't see the TV while on the treadmill and the times I used the exercise room, there was no water or drinking cups.

As with most Residence Inn properties, they have a breakfast and it's free. I have a hard time complaining about something free, so keep that in mind. The breakfast is terrible! I only went to breakfast a couple of times before going to the grocery store and making breakfast in my room. One morning, they had eggs with a muffin that was drier than dust. The other morning, the eggs had been prepared as if they are a fried egg, and the eggs lacked any moisture. I am not talking they were over cooked, they were about to be considerd egg jerky, that tough and that dry. Plus, the coffee is just kerosene. I have not tasted worse coffee in any hotel than this one. The coffee tastes like it was boiled and left over night to age. The coffee is the most bitter drink ever.

Outside my room door, I found cigarette butts and when I would walk the grounds, I would see bathroom hand towels in the flower beds etc. They eventually picked up both the cigarette butts and the towels, but they are very unattrative. I also found the dishwasher in the room to be very loud. The room comes with some pots to cook, but there wasn't any fry pan or saute pan in my room. There were a lot of pots, but not a fry pan or saute pan.

The staff makes up for some of the short comings of the hotel so that is why I rated the hotel Average. The location is pretty good and the hotel just needs to address some easy shortcomings and replace the coffee!

Green Features: The hotel does recycle and I like seeing that in commercial establishments.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 678855
Eric G, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey and for sharing your experience with the Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

You are a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Eric
Pine, Colorado
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My daughter, her cat and I arrived in Portland the day before the big snow/ice storm. We ended up having to stay in the hotel more than we planned, but due to great location, we were able to walk to movie theater, Lloyd Center and restaurants nearby. Suite was spacious and luckily had a king bed. It would have been nice to have an option of 2 full/queen size beds, but my daughter and I had no problem sharing a king bed. I can't say enough about the great, friendly staff. The breakfast was awesome and kitchen staff so friendly. Now that my daughter has moved to Portland, this will be my hotel of choice. When looking at hotels, a couple of reasons I chose this hotel besides location, was it being pet friendly and FREE PARKING!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank kansasgirl8337
Eric G, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
On behalf of the entire staff I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience here at the Residence Inn Portland Lloyd Center. We greatly appreciate the kind words and look forward to serving you during future visits to the Portland area.
Kind Regards,
Eric
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I don't usually write reviews of Residence Inns because they are pretty much the same. This one had staff that went out of the way. I got in very early because I missed a flight to get in really late. They had a room for me anyway, and allowed me early check in. That was a really nice touch, and they made sure that I, a tired business traveler, had everything I needed. With late work, the late staff was also very accommodating, making sure our group members had cars to the airport when we needed them. We didn't see much of the location around us, although it is a block from the Lloyd Center Mall, which looked really big. If I come back to Portland, and need to stay in this area, It will be here. I don't need to rewrite the previous reviews about the nice rooms, fireplaces, etc., just believe them because I got the same amenities and everything (didn't love the breakfast either).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Membermaine07
Aaron A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 22 December 2014
We take pride in our exceptional staff service and are pleased to hear that we made you and your colleagues feel at home and welcome. We hope to see you again if you are traveling in the Portland area. We greatly appreciate your business!
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I was really impressed with this hotel - it far exceeded my expectations! We stayed in a King suite (#612) and I was blown away when we arrived at check-in. First off, we arrived way early but were able to get into our room at a little past 10:30 a.m., which was really awesome. The front desk person, I can't remember her name, was so nice and accommodating. When we got to our room, I was floored by the size and amenities. A full kitchen with dishwasher, stove/oven, and full-size fridge. Wow. The bed was really comfortable, although I would have preferred a bit more in the blanket department (so thin!). However, I did find extra blankets in one of the closets, so no problems there. My one complaint was the toilet and shower crammed into a small room whereas there is a lot of wasted space with the sink/vanity. I'd rather the door to the bathroom encompass the entire sink/toilet/shower area instead of partitioning it out. But that's just a personal preference.

The location is great, close to everything, but not downtown where it's loud. Free parking really is a great amenity, especially in the private lot. I didn't use the laundry facilities but the fact that they are there is pretty great.

My one complaint was the breakfast. It was terrible! We ended up having a bite or two and then found a breakfast place nearby. I'd rather pay for breakfast than eat sub-par for the most important meal of the day.

I would stay here again if I were in town - and would get Voodoo Donuts for breakfast. :)

Room Tip: #612 was nice and quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
We are pleased to hear your positive feedback on your stay with us! Our room amenities are definitely an advantage to business and leisure travelers alike, and our free parking is a rarity these days in comparison to other hotels in the area. We thank you for choosing us and hope to see you again if you are in the Portland area!
New York, NY
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hotel is in a great location, about 15 minutes to the airport and 10 minutes to downtown. The rooms are nice big size with a little living area, fireplace and kitchen. The hotel is located near a highway which makes it easy to get around but if the traffic noise keeps you awake you might consider requesting a room that doesn't face the highway. My only complaint about the hotel really is the bed. For frequent Marriott visitors you'll know the properties all seem to have the same soft comfy bed. While the linens at this property were the same as other Marriott properties the mattress was very hard and not exceptionally comfortable. If it had the same bed as other Marriott properties it would be great. The folks who work at the hotel were exceptionally nice and professional.

Room Tip: Rooms are higher floors are quieter however there are no elevators at the property so you have to be...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cityrider76
We greatly appreciate your feedback on your stay with us. We definitely are in a great location for accessing public transit as well as the highway when traveling by car. As for the beds we apologize that it did not meet your expectations and hope to get them upgraded in the upcoming year. Thanks for staying with us! We truly appreciate your business!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This hotel is a real good choice in Portland. The rooms are spacious and clean and the breakfast was excellent. The breakfast area is big but it can be crowded so try going earlier or later than the norm to avoid the big crowds. The setting for breakfast is very cozy and makes for a great way to begin your day. There's a huge diversity of food options too.

Staff were excellent in all respects, very friendly.

The proximity to the Lloyd Center mall is very handy, a five minute walk, if that. There's also a movie theater in the mall and another one two minutes from the hotel.

The hotel is also a short 5 minute walk to the nearest transit stop on the light rail which makes for easy access to other parts of the city.

Walking the historic Irvington neighborhood was very enjoyable and you can get going on that 3 minutes or less after you leave the hotel area.

I'd stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The best rooms are ones above the ground floor so you can open the windows to enjoy the fresh Portla...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Isurehopeso
Eric G, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you so much for the kind words. The entire staff here at Residence Inn truly cares about our guests and we appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks again!