“Needs sound proofing”

Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Needs sound proofing”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were visiting our son and chose this hotel as its location was closer to his apartment than most hotels we could find. Our room was on the second floor right below a larger, 2 bedroom suite. As I later learned, that room was packed with guests. And those guests were constantly on the move. They were walking about and going up and down the stairs till the wee hours of the morning. I am a light sleeper and was not able to get to sleep till 3 AM. Hoping that the guests would leave, I endured another night until I spoke to the desk personnel. They were extremely sorry for the problem and immediately gave us another room on the 3rd (top) floor, an upgrade to a larger suite.

The hotel is by a busy expressway and the hum from the traffic can be heard in the rooms. Sound proofing was obviously not a top priority when they built this hotel.

The rooms themselves were fine. We had lots of room, especially with the upgrade. The morning breakfasts were at times very crowded as there wasn't a large space devoted to them.
Their quality was adequate.

The location is a good one, within walking distance of some nice neighborhoods and parks, and close to public transportation, including light rail.

The hotel staff was very friendly and considerate.

If you decide to try this hotel, I recommend a top floor room.

Room Tip: Top floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve Z
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your feed back after your stay with us. We are a generation one hotel and it was built with exterior entrances for accessability. I am very sorry to hear about the noise from the room above you. I wish that we would have known sooner to be able to address it and help in the beginning of your stay to make it more of an enjoyable trip. You can always request a top floor and we will definitely try to accommodate that for you. I hope you choose to stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was not my favorite Residence Inn. Bad check in experience started everything off on the wrong foot. The rooms were large and equipped as advertised. The buildings are worn down and the breakfast was mediocre. We mostly picked this location since we were travelling with a toddler. We like having a full kitchen and separate living room. Free parking is hard to find near downtown Portland. There is public transportation nearby and it was easy to get everywhere either driving or on the metro. We were on the 3rd floor with a toddler which was very hard considering all of the stuff we had to carry (no elevators on property).

Room Tip: No elevators and lots of stairs. 2 floor lofts only on upper levels.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah P
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback after your stay with us. We are a generation one hotel so it was built with more of an apartment syle set up with exterior enterances. Because of that we unfortunately do not have elevators on our property; however, we are always willing to help take luggage up to guests room for them. I am very sorry that the check in experience was unsatisfactory! We definitely do not want that and we want to make sure we can improve in any way possible to make it a wonderful check in experience for everyone. We have a great location and employees working here and I hope that you will stay with us again.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is just an average hotel. The rooms are large and have a kitchen, but this looks to be an old apartment complex (multiple 3 story buildings) that was rehabbed into hotel.

The goods: Decent location, free parking, free breakfast. Low Price.

The bads: Very weak wifi if you get any at all. If you're on the bottom floor (and I assume the 2nd) you hear the people walking above you. If you're on 2nd or 3rd floor, there is no elevator.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are a generation one hotel and that does mean we are set up with exterior enterances very much like an aparment style. I am sorry to hear back about the wifi, we are currectly upgrading our internet during third quarter of this year. I hope you come back and give our location another try.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 12 May 2014

If you get a great price on a room this would be worth staying in. My room was on the ground floor right by the street and near the corner where a transient was living. I frankly didn't feel very safe. The room was just okay. cigarette burns on the carpet and just a little run down in general. It is located next door to a movie theatre, two blocks from the mall and three blocks from the Max (public transportation). They had their usual breakfast every morning and Managers reception with food, beer and wine on Monday and Wednesday night. That was really the highlight of my stay there as the folks that put that on really worked hard for you to make sure everything was right. Overall I wouldn't stay there again for work and for personal travel only if I got a really good deal.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere in the center of the property. Away from Multinomah on one side and the MAX tracks on...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank WorkOut14
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your response in regards to your stay with us. This location does have great access to local attractions and we offer our complementary guest reception Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other Tuesday which includes food, beer and wine. We also have a nightly security to walk the property to keep an eye on everything throughout the night. Please feel free to contact us directly before your next stay.
Washington State
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This place has been steadily going downhill over the years. Not much is spent on the upgrade to the rooms or on the amenities in the rooms.

I checked in today and got dirty glasses in the cupboards (not dishwasher residue but smeary fingerprints and lip prints). Rug is dirty, my feet turn brown. When I first checked in, I was sent to a room where maintenance was being done. I walked in to the room and there was a man in the dark working on the lights. Scared me silly!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank ghfjdksl
Eric G, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you very much choosing to stay with us at the Lloyd Center Residence Inn. My staff and I are sincerely sorry that your stay was not up to your - and our own - service and product standards. We thank you for taking the time to complete this survey and to bring to our attention these short comings. As much as we would love all positive reviews, sometimes it is necessary to have our service failures brought to light so we can immediately address these issues and improve what we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for taking time to help us create a better guest experience. We certainly hope you give us the opportunity to show you what we can really offer when you return to our area.
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Felt more like staying in an actual apartment instead of a hotel. They may have been built to be apartments at one point. Nice room and everything was nice. Faucets could probably use updating but that about the extent of my gripes. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast staff not so much. Food was depleted at 8:30 am but had 2 staff all over it when this was brought to the attention of the manager. Seemed a bit miffed that this was brought to their attention. Food was good nonetheless. I would definitely stay again. Walking distance to mall and rail system. Price is a little high but save on not having to pay for breakfast or travel. Rail easy to get to downtown and airport. Free parking also a nice perk.

Room Tip: Earlier arrival for breakfast a good idea.
Green Features: Proactive on not washing linens and towels if not requested.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DrummerD2
Aaron A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 22 December 2014
Thank you for your feedback! We are a generation one property which is indeed very much like an apartment style complex inside and out which can be very accommodating for our extended stay guests. Our location being close to the rail system is also a major perk which I'm glad you were able to take advantage of. We also have free parking if you choose to visit us again by car. Thanks again for staying with us! Your business is very important!
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was my frist time staying at a hotel that was pretty much like a home. I booked a studio type room via Priceline and didn't expect much beforehands. I just knew that there was such a hotel that is very close to Lloyd Center - where I visited a lot for shopping and fun. It turned out to be that this is exactly what I wanted for traveling with my family. Their studio room type offers stoves and oven, so you can cook by yourself; it has a living room with sofabed and TV so you can relax a little bit after one whole day of touring and shopping; it's very close to Lloyd Center, not far from OMSI, so is a perfect location for me and my family. The only concern is that it's a little bit too close to I-84 and lightrail, which generate a lot of noises - but if you close your windows then it's not a big deal.

Room Tip: Don't miss their breakfast - it was very nice; their studio room type offers stoves and oven so...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KirklandTom
Aaron A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 10 December 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am really glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel has a great central location for Portland activities, especially the Lloyd Center Mall which is just a few blocks away from us. We hope you and your family are able to come stay with us again soon.