“Location, price, amenities, nice... a little older, but clean and updated”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center
Ranked #57 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Spokane, Washington
“Location, price, amenities, nice... a little older, but clean and updated”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Summary~ Recommended! Clean, spacious, friendly, conveniently located and priced better than some a tad newer. Stairs make upper floors a pain to take luggage to, but once inside some views are worth it.

The Inn:
I've read reviews on this first and found our differing opinions interesting. My experience is that I've stayed at the location many times. To answer another reviewers question, it is an older site, but has great square feet and some other plusses with mature plants that make it very quaint. All suites, and little spaces to sit, eat, talk etc. Even when I go alone, I like room to breathe.

I've also stayed in other Res Inns as other interviewers, but I do find differences. This one is pretty dang consistent in keeping things fresh and clean, and food coming until it is time to be done. Front desk staff have been very courteous in my experience. I love that they have an outdoor pool. Many Portland hotels opt for indoor because of the 9 months of rain :). But when its nice out, man its sweet to take a dip in a clean pool and catch some rays.

The area:
The location is in a mixed bag part of town. It is a few minutes by tram or car to the trendiest part of Portland these days, the Pearle District with it's fab dining and high end shops and it's sister neighborhood, the eclectic 23rd Ave, which is a must visit. You can walk to the MAX (mass transit that in Portland is not in the bus category).

I've literally stayed at this Res Inn and never rented a car, which for me, I only do in Honolulu other than this location. You can get to airport, malls, downtown and have a blast just hitting the rail system. At the same time, watch the time of day and when you're out, especially alone as a woman. The other part of the location is interesting locals who aren't in the cleaned up areas, and they give off a street mojo, so like most cities, you still have to be aware and not be dumb.

Room Tip: If stars are tough, ask for lower room, I don't think that they have elevators.
Green Features: Especially in Portland, this is a big deal. I think it's great here. Some places take it too far and you feel like your vacation is not truly a splurge. Not here. They conserve, but you have water pressure and clean linens and towels as you wish. Good balance.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Aaron A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 10 December 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we really appreciate it. I am glad to hear that you love staying at our hotel and and continue to return. We try to make each experience a positive one. We also try to be very consistent in our service and cleaning so that everyone knows what to expect when coming to stay at our hotel. Although, if there is ever anything extra that we can do for you while you are with us, please let us know.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My first impression walking into the lobby of this hotel was that I felt like I was entering a bar. The lobby area was very loud due to the close proximity of the front desk to where guests were taking the evening meal. Fortunately, the desk staff was very welcoming and explained where my room was located, how to access the internet, and the meal times.

The property itself is okay but didn't feel as "fresh" as other locations. Perhaps it's a bit older. The stairwells to the upper floors are very narrow so I was glad i didn't have a large bag with me.

My room was comfortable with the standard kitchenette and seating area. I was a bit surprised that there was not an ironing board or iron in the closet. I can't remember the last time I was in a hotel that didn't have them.

Breakfast the next morning was the usual eggs, sausage, make your own waffles, etc.

I've stayed at Residence Inn Properties in other cities and usually had a pleasant stay. This location left me feeling let down.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your feed back after staying with us a the Residence Inn by Marriott Lloyd Center location. We are a generation one hotel which is set up with outside enterances to all guest rooms. We have a great staff at this location and I am glad you feel that way as well. We will make sure that the rooms are equipt with all ironing supplies, as they should be. I hope you come and stay with us again.
Abbotsford, BC
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Have not stayed at a Residence Inn for a few years and maybe this is as good as they ever were. Good location, but was disappointed with the design knowing this was extensively renovated recently. The bathroom counter is very low even for a 5'10" person. It's the same level as the kitchen table. The faucet is so close to the edge of the sink that it's hard to actually wash properly. The shower head is basically useless. I want a decent shower for $200/night! The outside stairways and landings are dirty. Don't want to touch the handrails. Luckily the upstairs guests slept in this morning. The ceilings are creaky when someone walks up above.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Aaron A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to respond to us about your stay with us. We unfortunately did not meet your, or our own expectations, and will use some of the items you discussed to retrain or continue to focus on areas of improvement. Although we have recently had a renovation, we are an older property that still has some obstacles to hurdle, and will do what it takes to establish a friendly and asthetically pleasing property where guests such as yourself can come back and feel as if you are getting value out of your dollar. Thanks again for staying with us, and hopefully we will see you again in the future!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This place is the best kept secret in Portland. Was disappointed at first when I saw it was located by Lloyd Center but when we got there, was pleasantly surprised at how well appointed it was in a great area! Can't say enough:
Rooms - roomy, clean, beautiful, delightful, etc, etc, etc.
Staff - friendly, nice, charming
Breakfast - THE BEST
Happy Hour - wine and beer and munchies - WOW!
Parking - free and ample
Pool - didn't use but seemed nice.
Internet - great!

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed. Guess near the parking lot would be better.
Green Features: All great! Towels can be used again. Don't know why they keep saying I didn't fill out this box but I am adding just to get this done!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank janetoco
Aaron A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 9 December 2014
We are very glad you had such a wonderful stay with us. We try to do all we can to make it a great experience for all of our guests. Thank you for your review and we hope that you can come stay with us again soon.
Glendale
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We reserved a 2 bed bi-level loft and was surprised to find the king bed in the open loft and then the queen bed in the private bedroom. We the parents, would normally want the King bed in the private room...apparently all the bi-level lofts are set up this way. Disappointing to us considering the room rate was on the higher side for a Residence Inn. I will not stay again knowing this.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Our hotel has great access to the Lloyd District and downtown Portland. Our 2 bedroom bi-level lofts were built to accomodate larger families that needed to stay for a longer amount of time. I am very sorry our room set up was a surprise to you and it affected your stay negatively. Our guest satisfaction is very important to us and unfortunately we were not able to change the room set up to meet your needs. I hope you give our location another chance.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The room was very nice - beautiful design, comfortable beds, good kitchen with stove, dishwasher, refrigerator and microwave. The complimentary breakfast had a good selection, but not enough food and space for large crowd of hotel guests - very messy.
The location of the hotel was not the best for us. It was far from all nice Portland areas. It would work for people who are there for a happening at the convention center, but not for tourists. We did not feel safe leaving our car at the hotel parking lot - the window of the car parked next to ours was shattered.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Aaron A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, 18 December 2014
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the lay out of our suites! We are a generation one property that has more of an apartment feel, which can be an advantage for leisure and business travelers alike. As for the breakfast space, we will make the meeting rooms upstairs in the gatehouse available to alleviate the congestion that might occur in the buffet area, especially when we are at a higher occupancy. Thanks for giving us your feedback, and we hope to see you again when you are in the Portland area!
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed in a ground floor studio room. It was comfortable with a full kitchen and a fireplace. The hotel is very convenient to the Lloyd Center mall, MAX line, restaurants, and interstates. The free parking is a great plus since hotels that are more downtown charge up to $39/day for parking. The included breakfast was extensive - waffles, eggs, sausage, cereal, fruit, bagels, muffins, etc. And the brewed coffee in the restaurant was strong and good. The staff was friendly and always ready to help.

Room Tip: Since there are no elevators, chose a lower floor if you don't want to carry suitcases up flight...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us! Our location definitely can be a major convenience for leisure and business travelers alike, and the free parking can be a rarity these days. Your business is very important to us, and we are glad you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon!