“Great bargain, nice hotel, terrible traffic”

Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 24 April 2011

The good stuff up front: Oxford Suites is a terrific deal. With an April special and a three-day stay, we paid about $85 a night with tax for a "King Executive" suite which is two rooms with doors that slide shut. This allowed us to travel with our young children and put them to bed at a normal time for them, while still having the outer room to read and talk until the evening. The room has a microwave and refrigerator, as well as a TV set in both rooms.

An included breakfast buffet included eggs to order, a daily meat (links, patty, and ham while I was there), beverages, waffle and/or pancakes, muffins, and more. It's no Embassy Suites, but Embassy Suites can be a bit too much, too. For a family of four, the free breakfast (simpler but better than a Denny's meal) saves $10 to $40 a day, depending on what you pack. Food and drinks (soft and beer/wine) are also available at an evening reception which we never coincided with.

The staff by phone and in person were just great to deal with. One of the ladies busing tables at breakfast made a lovely fuss over our kids, and encouraged one to finish his milk (which he did!).

Free parking is key, given that many hotels in Portland proper charge for parking, as much as $15 to $25 a day downtown.

It is a very noisy island, Hayden Island, and the soundproofing in the suites is remarkably good.

The mediocre stuff: It's not really a hotel, but it's not a motel either. There's a tiny lobby and dining area, but no restaurant service nor bar. In style, it's much more like a motel, but the rooms are far nicer. The bathroom lacks a sink, which is in the main entrance area. It makes things a little awkward, but not awful. There's no bell service, but there are luggage carts placed around the entrances. It feels a bit more motel like because there are multiple guest entrances, and it's a squat (four-story) spread-out facility. You can drive and park close to the nearest entrance.

The pool was nice, but cold, which is something we've found at other Portland hotels with indoor pools. I suppose there's not enough use before summer to keep it heated, and perhaps in summer it mostly self heats from the outdoor temperature.

The bad: Our room was at an uncomfortable temperature for the first two days. There's no central air or heat in the building (again, motel like), which means that you use a window heating/AC unit to control temperature. You can also open windows, but as other reviews note, it's quite loud. We were overlooking a car wash (we weren't there for the view, however), and the one time we cracked the window, the noise drove us to shut it.

Because our children were in the inner room, once we'd shut the sliding doors, the outer room in which we slept was essentially airless.

The bathroom had no electrical outlets nor mirror. That made it impossible to dry hair in an enclosed room, making it noisy in the main suite, and there is no way to use a nightlight. The bathroom is pitch black, and thus you have to turn the light on in the middle of the night to see your way around. It's an unfortunate design issue.

While the hotel had free Ethernet and Wi-Fi Internet access, and it was quite high-speed, the authentication system is broken and the network at times unreliable. Whenever our iPhones went to sleep, however briefly, we had to go through a splash page to get back on. When using my laptop, 3 out of 4 times, the connection seemed to break even though I couldn't get an authentication splash page to appear again. Erratic is too kind.

Finally, Hayden Island has only one way on and off: I-5. We sometimes spent 20 minutes for the last few miles to return to the hotel, even though we were coming and going at all times of the day during the week. I-5 simply bunches up near the Washington/Oregon crossing, and even if you immediately exit the highway for city streets (which doesn't make sense when heading downtown, for instance), you're still captive for the couple of miles to get on and off. The price made it worthwhile to battle traffic, but some may find it intolerable.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Montlake_Traveler

Reviewed 20 April 2011

I just stayed two nights at the Oxford Suites Portland at Jantzen Beach and was very impressed. We got a great deal through travelportland.com. My sister and I booked two queen beds. The room had a hide-away couch in it that my two nieces slept on. It was a bit crowded, but worked well for us once we moved some furniture around. We were greeted very warmly and were always treated well each time we went to the front desk or walked by the front desk. We stayed on a Saturday and Sunday night. They had the free evening reception from 5:30 – 9:30 with food served from 5:30 – 7:30 on Saturday night. I was expecting chips/dip/veggies but was pleasantly surprised with meatballs, potatoes & gravy, salad with tomatoes & cucumbers, cheese cubes, celery sticks, carrot sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, ranch dressing, chips & crackers. On top of that, you got two glasses of beer, wine or pop. We were exhausted after traveling all day and didn’t really want to go out to find a restaurant, so we were so happy to be able to just eat there. It was wonderful food! The wine was Redwood Creek wine. They had about 5 different beers on tap. The girls went swimming in the indoor pool and sat in the hot tub. There was a steam room and sauna and a wonderful workout room with weight sets, two or three treadmills and two or three elliptical machines. The next morning we went down for a free hot breakfast and were once again pleasantly surprised. They had eggs cooked to order, kielbasa sausage, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, bananas, oranges, cinnamon rolls, orange, cranberry and apple juice, instant oatmeal, 4 different kind of cold cereal, bread, English muffins, doughnuts. It was wonderful. Sunday nights, they do not have the evening reception. Monday morning they had eggs cooked to order, bacon, potatoes, pancakes, muffins, and all the rest that I mentioned before. They had cookies sitting out every evening at the front desk. You are only 2 miles from getting on the Max to go downtown. You cross over the bridge and get off the freeway right at the Expo Center. It may seem like you are a long ways way from downtown, but it only took us about 10 minutes to get to the Lloyd Center (not downtown, but close to it). There is a computer downstairs in the main lobby and then there was also a business room with a computer. I had my laptop and there was no problem hooking up to the wi-fi in our room and it was fast. The beds had 4 pillows on them with a sheet, light down comforter, another sheet and then a light cover that was folded down at the bottom of the bed. I did not use the light cover. The beds were very comfortable to sleep in. The toilet and shower are in a room together and the sink was outside of the bathroom which is nice. The doors for the closet had a full length mirror on it which is nice to have. There was no ice machine on the second floor. We had to go down to the first floor. I like hotels that have ice makers on each floor. There were a lot of channels to choose from on the tv. I did not get to explore them because the tv pretty much stayed on the Disney channel.  There was a DVD player in the room so you could watch movies. If you needed anything, there is a Safeway a ½ block away. They did have a little mini store in the hotel with drinks, snack foods. I had just a couple of complaints, but nothing too major. In our room the sink faucet was backwards (hot to the right/cold to the left). A friend who was traveling with us who had another room said hers was right, so it must have just been our room. There was no fan in the bathroom, so the steam from the shower has nowhere to go. The coffeemaker is one of those that makes only one cup at a time with the little pod of coffee you put in the top. I am not a fan of these coffeemakers, but it seems like that’s the way hotels are going. The coffee that they had in the room was a name I didn’t recognize and Wolfgang Puck’s coffee. The coffee I didn’t recognize was horrible (very weak). Wolfgang Puck’s coffee was good. I also asked for a couple more towels for our room and we never did get them.  The elevator was extremely slow. It was quicker for us to go up and down the stairs. Thank goodness we were only on the 2nd floor. I think the hotel has 4 floors. Over all, we were very happy with our choice and would come back here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Idaho_Travel_Bug
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Oxford Suites Jantzen Beach this last weekend and had a great stay. The ladies who checked us in were friendly and efficient, at the evening reception we each enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine and some light appetizers..these are included in your room rate..prior to going out for dinner. Both mornings we were treated to a full hot buffet breakfast; eggs, sausage, fresh roasted red potatoes, fresh fruit, cinnamon rolls and more...also included in our room rate. It was so pleasant to be greeted with a good morning or good evening by the staff we passed in the hallways, a true testament to superior guest service. Our room was clean and comfortable, we had two televisions so if my husband didn't want to watch what I did, which is often the case, he could watch the other set.

Thanks Oxford for a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kellanb
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I stayed at the Oxford Suites Potland at the end of March for a business trip to Portland. Since I did not pay for the room, I cannot comment on the value. I can say that I was pleasantly surprised. There was only a few minor negatives, with the emphasis on minor. The hotel is currently being remolded, so there were some things out of place, but again nothing major.

The details:

Location: The hotel is located in a business area. It took us about 15-20 minutes from Portland airport, without traffic. From the hotel, it took about 10 minutes to downtown Portland, again without traffic. Getting to Portland was a breeze with various freeway entrances right near the hotel. Right next door to the hotel is Burger King, US Bank, and also the biggest Red Roof Inn I ever saw. Down the street from the hotel is Safeway and some other restaurants.

Amenities: There is an indoor swimming pool (did not use it), a complimentary full breakfast (serving eggs, plus breakfast potatos, and a meat that changes daily. Also cereal, pastries, and other breakfast items). A fitness room with about 5 machines and couple treadmills, and a coin operated laundry machine. Parking was no charge and the wireless internet was fast with no additional charge.

Room: The room my coworkers and I had was not a "suite" (room with dividing walls inside the room), but it was a good size room. As soon as we walked in, there was the sink with a long counter, and the coffee maker. Next to the sink was a dorm size refrigerator and then the dresser with the television. Since the room I had was not renovated, the television was one of those older models, not the flat screen trype. However it still worked great, I had no complaints. On the opposite of the television was the bed, and then next to the bed and the night stand was a full size sofa with a coffee table. The bathroom is located next to the bed. A full size desk was located near the window with the air conditioner / heater. The room was very big for just one person. To me, the size of the room is very similar to the Marriott Suites in Anaheim. The only difference was the Marriott Suites had a wall between the bedroom and the living room.

Negatives: The only negatives was at about 4:00 a.m., someone on the floor above was running back and forth in the hallway and the noise could be heard by some of my coworkers. Also, the bathroom door would not stay open. It always closed shut. For me, sometimes it is good to leave the door open, especially since the bathroom can be on the small side. Again, these are just minor negatives.

I found the Oxford Suites to be a very good hotel. The only reason I would not stay at this hotel again because I belong to the Starwood, Hilton, and Marriott programs. If you are looking for a good hotel (don't expect a Ritz Carlton service), with amenities that is "free" (that the bigger hotel chains charge for), and a large room, Oxford Suites would work for you.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank gsuzuki
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel at the end of Febuary 2011 and booked there "Zoo" package, it was a great value and our room was updated with a flat screen T.V and all the normal ammenites. They have an "evening reception" which includeds a light appetizer and a glass of wine or a beer and for the kids soda or juice. It was nice but not really that appetising. We didnt use the pool at this stay so overall a good for stay for the value.
Last week we were going to stay overnight in Portland during spring break and decided to stay once again at the Oxford and this time we recieved a room that was very out-dated and had a sort werid smell. You will also hear airplanes all hours of the day, this did not bother me that much my little guy enjoyed seeing the planes but other may not find it as enjoying. Also we used the pool this time and it was pretty cold, the Gym was average and the Steam room was relaxing. The breakfast reminded me of the lunch line at school and the selecton was very limited with items running out quickly. One very positive note was the Front Desk Staff were very nice, engageing and helpful! Also some other noteable things are fresh cookies and fruit in the lobby and a movie and popcorn rental for FREE in the lobby.
Overall we would stay here again, we just might ask for a updated room.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Really nice hotel, but the traffic from Portland to this hotel is awful. Great hotel if you don't plan on hanging out in PDX.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Stayed here while going to a music festival located at The Red Lion Inn across the street. Oxford Suites is a fine no-frills hotel with no pampering, but most needs covered. The bathroom in my room had no sink.. it was out in the room entrance with the coffee maker but everything was clean and worked OK. The bed was comfy and the walls were a little thin. I was on the 3rd floor. Elevators were nearby as were stairwells. Soap and shampoo were barely replaced.
NOTE: Hayden Island (where the hotel is located) is at the center of the I-5 freeway, the approach path to the airport and near a trainyard. You hear ALL modes of transportation if you open the windows.
The staff was pleasant, and they offer a free breakfast and wine in the afternoon - not haute cuisine, but as long as you can get to it before 9AM, it's food. Otherwise, the only close source of food is the Burger King and Taco Belle across the street.
The drive-thru Western Union ATM wanted to charge me a $5 user fee to withdraw money!!!!! Bandits!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo