“An affordable hotel to stay for families”

Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Ranked #25 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Its an affordable nice hotel with all the necessary amenities. Recreational amenities include an indoor swimming pool and a sauna, a steam room, and a 24-our fitness facility (some amenities may incur additional fees).

The rooms in this hotel are very good, clean, quite large and comfortable. They offer televisions come with premium cable channels, refrigerators, microwaves aAnd complimentary wireless Internet access. Guests are offered nice continental complimentary breakfast each morning. A complimentary light meal reception is offered in the early evening each day. Adults get coupons for a couple free drinks (wine, beer or soda) in the evening. It has a very good restaurant which serves dinner only. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar.
The hotel is very close to Jantzen Beach Center, Portland Metropolitan Exposition Center. The hotel also features a roundtrip airport shuttle. The staff is very helpful and accommodating, they are always having full of information.

Highly recommended..

Room Tip: Highly recommended. Everything is good.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,514)

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Overall I am satisfied with my stay, it is in line with the amount that I paid for the room, so value wise, very good. I stayed in a room with 2 queen beds for 3 nights and my family stayed in an Executive King room across from us.

What I liked
- Free breakfast - that was not the standard cold continental fare. It includes eggs, potatoes, waffles, pastries, cereal, assortment of breads and bagels that you can toast yourself.
- There was plenty of seats, so never had a problem waiting for a table.
- Free parking (beats paying $25-$35 for downtown Portland properties).
- Free internet
- Mini fridge in the room
- Free drinks in the evening (2 per person, per night) including a selection of beer, wine or soft drinks. There was salad and soup but we didn't bother.

What I didn't like
- Made to order eggs - I lined up 20 minutes on one day to get through the breakfast line, and 15 minutes the next day. We arrived at 8:30 am. I'm not sure if the line would have been less or more had we arrived at another time, but found that making eggs to "order" took way too long. Incidentally on the first morning of our stay, scrambled eggs were pre-made and served off the buffet. This service was much quicker. The eggs were still made fresh but you didn't have to wait long to go through the line.
- Very soft beds - perhaps it's me, but these beds are softer than many hotels that I've stayed at
- Thin walls and even thinner ceilings - every morning at 6 am, we could hear people upstairs walking about, and showering. It was loud enough to wake us up each morning.
- Loud air conditioning - it was so bloody loud, also an older system, so either on or off, making it hard to sleep. In the King Suite the air conditioner is newer (quieter) with a thermostate

The desk staff were all very pleasant and friendly. The location was an 8-10 minute drive to downtown Portland (I actually timed this), pending traffic of course. On the way back it did take a bit longer as there was more traffic out. But it's a good location to stay if you don't need to stay in downtown, and to use as a base to explore the area.
The rooms were decent, and good size with small sitting area (sofa bed) and work desk. More importantly the rooms were clean.
The internet connection wasn't very good (wireless), I guess depends on how many people in the hotel were using it.
Overall, I can't fault the stay, though I would never call it "excellent" as some of the reviews I've read.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BumblebeeVancouver
Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Room was exceptionally clean. Bed was very comfortable. They offered a wine reception in the evening. Free breakfast in the morning. Didn't have either. The line for breakfast was way too long to wait. I think they should extend the hours for breakfast during the week. Everyone scrambled to get in last minute. Had burger king across the street instead.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Recently I stayed at the Oxford Suites in Portland. This was just about the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. What made this place so awesome were all the little extras that were included in our stay. First, we received a complementary breakfast every day. Not just coffee and bagels. This was made to order eggs, pancakes and the usual fare. Next was the evening salad and soup bar that was also "on the house". To top it off, we received 2 glasses of wine, beer or soda every night as well. There was a nice pool and gym. The room was nicely appointed. We had a suite, so the kids were in one room, the baby was in the living room and I had my own room as well. The staff was friendly and helpful. I just can't say enough about this place. It was a wonderful experience. We got a summer special price, so it was very affordable. I would stay here again on my next trip to Portland.

Room Tip: Keep you eyes out for specials that are offered on their website. We kept checking as our trip got...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Hotel is clean, breakfast had a variety to choose from, plus we got 4 zoo ticket with the price of our room (which was a great value).

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank myklrl
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I really don't get how this place received enough votes to be 12th most popular hotel in Portland. It is enough for me to lose my trust in tripadvisor rankings.

- Good rate (Payed just about $100 per night)
- Free breakfast
- Friendly staff
- free Wifi
- Good location right off I-5
- No road noise from the freeway at all

- Small room
- Old and outdated hotel that needs upgrade badly
- CRT non-HD tv (really?)
- Hotel shook badly enough to wake us up at 7:30am when the hotel housekeeping ran their commercial washer on the 1st floor. We were on the 4th floor which was the top floor.

This was an inexpensive hotel so I expected no Ritz Carlton level luxury from this property. However, this place was needs an upgrade really badly. I was surprised that the commercial washers that the housekeeping ran on the first floor could shake the room on the 4th floor as it did. To give the credit to the staff, when we called to complain about the vibration, they stopped it immediately and apologized. The housekeeping laundry is right by the pool so getting a room as far away from the pool would not be affected? Needless to say,we would not be staying here again or recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ace8726872
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We chose a hotel based on traveling with dogs, and the Oxford allowed pets at a nominal fee. It was further from the city centre than we would have liked, but we were on a budget and had a vehicle, and the positive reviews swayed our choice.

Our room was very good. It was clean, quite large and comfortable. The king size bed was fantastic. There were two televisions, a fridge and microwave.

We didn't eat the complimentary breakfast or soup/salad (did not look appetizing) but we did enjoy the complimentary local beer on tap.

The reception staff were fine - nothing remarkable. I wasn't offered a cookie at check in.

Our only complaint other than the distance to anything in Portland would be that we were put into a second floor room which proved annoying when having to take our dogs out to pee. We arrived during a large Cavalry convention so mobility issues of other patrons may have caused the move. If you have pets, maybe ask for a first floor room.

We were also a bit bothered by the fact that because we had pets, the hotel required that at some point during each day the cleaning staff be allowed to service our room. Our pets are not messy in the slightest and I don't like my room door being open with staff having access, but I understand the policy.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. With regards to room placement, many factors affect which suite we assign our guests. Those with pets are typically assigned to our designated pet friendly rooms, while those with limited mobility are given first floor priority. It is a balancing act, and we do our absolute best to honor specific requests, when at all possible. We appreciate that you understand that not all pets behave the same. Experience has taught us that the sooner we can identify a potential pet issue, the better for everyone involved. Thank you for your patronage and we do hope to serve your lodging needs in the future!