“Okay...but not great.”

Ranked #26 of 143 Hotels in Portland
Iowa, United States
“Okay...but not great.”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This is a nice hotel....a little dated, could use flat screen TV's in the rooms. The restaurant was also under construction, which made the evening reception and the breakfast buffet cumbersome. But they did the best that they could. My biggest complaint was the parking...there was no parking in the hotel lot when we returned from our day, usually around 10 PM. The frustrating part was the number of trailers that were taking up spots in the lot....one large trailer was taking up 10 parking spots as it was parked sideways. There were also a number of smaller trailers that would take up one to two spots. It left me having to park in the street, which is something I would rather avoid when at a hotel. When I mention this at the desk, the only response was that there is a big antique show in town and some dealers were staying there. After I mentioned it to the front desk, another employee came from the back and said you can follow me I am leaving now and could give you a really good spot. Nice gesture....but my thought was, "Why are employees parking in the really good spots? Anytime I have worked in a service industry, employee's would have a reserved spot to park, farthest away from the entrance so that the guests could have the 'really good spots". Okay place to stay, but would not make it my first choice next time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom G
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you for choosing Oxford Suites and for taking the time to comment. We truly apologize that problems arose with parking during your stay. As you might guess, we do ask guests towing trailers or boats to be courtesy of our other guests, particularly when we are full. Unfortunately, not everyone cooperates and we ultimately posted a notification that vehicles taking more than 1 spot were to park on the street or risk being towed. With regards to the employee parking issue, we agree that our staff should defer to our guests and we will follow up with our team accordingly. Thanks again for the feedback. We look forward to serving your lodging needs in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

I needed a last minute room while in Portland for work. After calling corporate lodging four times and calling seventeen motels I stumbled across this place. Everything was full for the weekend. But Oxford had three suites available. I told them I used CLC and they agreed to give me a suite for the CLC price. Very nice, very clean room. Will stay here from now on in Portland

• Stayed July 2012
Tracy, CA
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stopped in Portland for lunch and fell in love with the town, so decided to stay for a night. I looked online and found this hotel on a parents website as being highly recommended so we booked a room. It was a lovely room with 2 queen beds, and only $99 for the night. Also included was complimentary evening drinks with soup and salad for everyone in our party. We also received complimentary hot breakfasts in the morning with cooked to order eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, fruits, etc. It was a whole buffet, not just a small donut and coffee. The beds were very comfortable and overall we had a great stay in Portland. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank msjj30
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We would go to Portland for the first time and wanted to stay in a hotel which is close to I5 highway. I searched on Trip Adviser and found Oxford Suites Jantzen Beach which has very good customer reviews and rating. I booked two rooms for two nights at the hotel. I made the reservation by phone and the front desk staff offered that they could place the two rooms next to each other. I was glad that they could do this and felt that it was a good start.

The hotel is located conveniently off highway I5 and restaurants, Safeway and shops are within a few minutes of walk. The hotel offers complimentary breakfast with a variety of choices, hot and cold. Considering the reasonable room rate ($99 a night), this is something really attractive.

On the late afternoon of July 1, we got to the hotel around 6pm. A middle aged receptionist did the check-in. She appeared to be ‘cordial’, yet I did not realize it was a faked one. When she handed me the room numbers and floor layout, I noticed that the two rooms were not side by side as offered. And one room was next to a staff room and the other was right by elevator. I explained to the receptionist that I was told the rooms could be side by side when I made the reservation on the phone and I need the rooms away from either elevator or stairway so that I would not be woken up by the noise from elevator or opening and closing the stairway door as I am a very light sleeper. Upon hearing me, she said in a whispering way that the hotel was busy so that she cannot place the two rooms side by side. So I said fine. She did move the other room, yet it was only one room further away despite that fact that there were quite a few rooms available even further away as I later found out. I stayed in the room next to the staff room and after midnight, I was woken up by noises and movement close to my headboard from the staff room and I realized that the door of the staff room is basically right outside where my headboard is. The movement from the staff room woke me up several more times and finally I got up around 3:30am as I could not go back to sleep any more. I then left the room and took a walk in the hallway and ran into a staff. I asked if the hotel was very busy and there were no more rooms available. I was surprised to hear that there were quite a few rooms vacant. The next morning I went to the front the desk and explained the situation and the receptionist on duty moved me to another room right away.

The more I thought about the room assignment the first night, the more I was upset that the receptionist deliberately put us close to the elevator and staff room even though I requested repeatedly for a quiet room and even though there were other rooms further away available.
When I checked out the hotel, I asked to speak to the manager on duty. Shortly, Mr. Samuel Johnson, the general manager, came. He was very patient and attentive while I was telling him what happened. He promised to look into it and got back to me as soon as possible. I left the hotel without really expecting too much from the manager.

Last Friday, I received a reply from Mr. Johnson. He informed me that he looked into the matter and found what I said to be true. The receptionist could have put us in a quiet room away from the elevator and the staff room but she chose not to. Mr. Johnson made an apology on behalf of the staff. As a friendly gesture to make up, he offered to take me as a personal guest in my upcoming trip to Portland later this month and extended sincere warm welcome back to stay at the hotel. I am very impressed by Mr. Johnson’s professionalism and honesty in handling the matter. He helped turn a less desired experience to a very positive one.

A final note.
Except the unpleasant experience with the receptionist, the overall service quality in the hotel was very good. The TV remote control in my room ran out of battery. I called the front desk and within minutes, a friendly male staff came and replaced the battery. The service staff for the breakfast were polite and helpful. I truly believe the incident with the receptionist was unusual. Overall, the hotel offers value and services beyond normal expectation. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, stay away from the room next to the staff room as the door of the staff...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
San Ramon, California
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My wife & I checked in rather late after a long day on the road. We did not know where to go for dinner. Hilary, who checked us in, recommended a restaurant to us. The topper is she also informed us not to follow our GPS, because there is a better and faster way to get to the restaurant. As for her restaurant, we have to say both the food was excellent and the price very reasonable.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Coquille, Oregon
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Went to Portland for the Portland Historic Races and found this hotel just two miles from the track. The facility is very nice, lots of parking, really nice rooms, an evening social that you get coupns for two beers, wine or sodas with a light happy hour food., great breakfest in the mornings. I stayed in the King Executive Suite, and it was nice to have room in the room.

I read some of the other comments about noise from the airport, and the only time I noticed it was when I had the windows open. The only drawback to my room was that the windows faced west, but the blackout curtains kept the room at a nice temp with the A/C on. They are doing some updates and I hope that one will be to change the TV's to flat panels, just to update the rooms.

For those with shopping in mind it's a short drive to a mall, maybe a mile away, and good places to eat as well.

One problem I had and it was not with Oxford was the fact that I was wanting pizza one night, and neither Papa Johns or Pizza Hut deliver to this facility. I ordered from Vancouver Pizza and you need to check them out.

Great stay, and great staff. This place is on my list for future stays.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Its an affordable nice hotel with all the necessary amenities. Recreational amenities include an indoor swimming pool and a sauna, a steam room, and a 24-our fitness facility (some amenities may incur additional fees).

The rooms in this hotel are very good, clean, quite large and comfortable. They offer televisions come with premium cable channels, refrigerators, microwaves aAnd complimentary wireless Internet access. Guests are offered nice continental complimentary breakfast each morning. A complimentary light meal reception is offered in the early evening each day. Adults get coupons for a couple free drinks (wine, beer or soda) in the evening. It has a very good restaurant which serves dinner only. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar.
The hotel is very close to Jantzen Beach Center, Portland Metropolitan Exposition Center. The hotel also features a roundtrip airport shuttle. The staff is very helpful and accommodating, they are always having full of information.

Highly recommended..

Room Tip: Highly recommended. Everything is good.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business