“Great value, excellent staff, nice pet policy”

Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I arrived at noon and my room was ready for occupancy. I was travelling with a small dog and was please to find this hotel would only assess a one time pet fee to cover my entire 5 night stay. There is a daily happy hour in the lounge with complimentary salad and soup. Also complimentary drink tickets which together made a very nice early evening reception. There are several restaurants within walking distance and a pleasant walk on the rive boardwalk (pavement) is just minutes away by foot. There is a complimentary shuttle to the Expo centre, which was reliable and useful. The room heat is controlled by a window unit which took a little getting used to. The hotel is older, but amazingly quiet.

Room Tip: The elevators seemed quite efficient, so I liked the top floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank David C

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed in an executive suite. This room is the most amazing room we have ever stayed in. The bed seriously made me never want to leave. So comfortable. The service in the lounge was spectacular as was breakfast the next morning. Everything was clean and in perfect shape. The staff were all wonderful and friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anybody wanting a one night get away, or having friends in town.

Room Tip: We heard nothing from our room. 4th floor, facing south. AMAZING!
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We drove up from CA to visit Portland and the coastal area. I wanted to stay in a hotel that is quiet and away from the traffic noise. We made our reservation for a couple of nights on New Years Eve and I wish we'd planned to stay longer. It was the nicest hotel of our whole trip! I reserved a junior king suite and was surprised at the nice size it was. It was very clean and stylish. The bed was wonderful, a must for me. Upon arrival we were given two tickets for each evening with two drinks apiece for happy hour and complementary soup and salad. The staff was friendly and helpful about the restaurants in Portland. The hot breakfast was delicious each morning with cooked to order omelettes upon request. I would highly recommend this hotel, and wouldn't want to stay anywhere else on our next visit. We paid $75. per night and we felt like we were in an upscale hotel.

Room Tip: Junior King Suite was fine for a couple who plan to site see during the day. I requested a very qui...
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Long-winded, but here goes. Great place. Easy drive from arpt, and into city. Shocked at review of dirty room. We stayed 3 nights, left to travel around state, came back and stayed again for several nights. Both rooms meticulous. Right now they have winter special, we got the king suite for $80 - really great room, as it has wooden sliding doors between the sitting room (table, chairs, sofa, reading lamp, tv, fridge, microwave) and the bedroom area, so night owl can stay up and read while I slept. Another tv in the bed area. Drink vouchers for two beverages per adult, so we could get two wines or beers each, along with free salad, soup if wanted. Breakfast full egg/sausage/waffle/cereals/home fry etc. Free wifi and free parking make this a real bargain for a nice room, very friendly staff. Drive out 84 to the Columbia Gorge for a real treat, take exit 17 and drive along gorgeous scenery with several beautiful waterfalls. This is a short, easy drive from hotel. Take I-5 into Portland. Recommend exit 303, which is Alberta Rd, for some great, funky restaurants. Found two gluten-free bakeries within a few miles on this road. Lovely French place, Petite Provence, and an Italian place, Enzo's, with amazing $10 lunch with a buffet table of delicious food, from meatballs to pizza to polenta tarts and bacon-wrapped eggplant bites - wonderful chance to eat a variety of wonderful tastes.Pool and exercise room at hotel if you need to work off some of Portland's great food!

2  Thank Keatyp
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Loved the staff and our rooms. Peggy the assistant manager was able to handle a issue we had with our reservation in a very effecient and pleasant way. We will definately be staying there again when we return to Portland. The rooms were clean and the king size bed we had was very comfortable. I also had to use the airport shuttle they had and they picked me up within 30 minutes of my plane landing. It was also located close to other businesses so we were able to go to a grocery store and restaurants all within walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2013

With an average rating of 4.5 on TripAdvisor, I really did not see this coming.

It's really closer to 1. Yes, the staff is extremely friendly and nice, and that's the only reason I'm giving it a 2 instead of a 1. The staff is the only reason we did not leave immediately after checking in. Room itself was quite dirty, especially the carpet. Found hair on the bed. Free breakfast and a free drink is a nice offer, and again the staff is so nice and considerate by making food to order that I was happy to give extra tips. However, the building, facilities, rooms, furniture are all so old and outdated. I really wanted to like this place but 2 is the best rating I can offer.

Room Tip: Do not take your shoes off on the rooms. Socks will become black in no time.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bonamdotcom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Oxford Suites Portland-Jantzen Beach has much more than other hotels have to offer at a great price. You not only get a clean, updated suite, but a made to order breakfast and evening receptions with two drinks per person and soup and salad. Besides, the reception staff and restaurant staff continually look out for you with great service. While going through the breakfast line my wife's water glass spilled on her tray and the chef immediately responded with a new tray in the midst of his short order cook multi tasking. We like to visit Portland periodically and this will always be our hotel choice.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side of the building were recommended to us for being quieter..
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family