“Clean, clean, clean”

Ranked #26 of 143 Hotels in Portland
Kent, Washington
“Clean, clean, clean”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at the Oxford Suites at the end of June for a soccer tournament. While most of the team was staying elsewhere, we booked at the Oxford Suites because of location and the online reviews. We were not disappointed! I am very picky when it comes to cleanliness and upon arriving in a hotel room, I typically give the room the once over before unpacking my things. Our room was spotless - how nice! Our check process went smoothly and that evening, the front desk attendant, Monica, was able to direct us to a local grocery store (right across the street) and an area of restaurants all within walking distance. The hotel also has a shuttle service to the airport and other nearby restaurants. Another bonus with this hotel was the complimentary breakfast (hot and cold items) and complimentary soup and salad bar with two drinks (beer, wine, and soda or one well drink) per person in the evenings starting at 5:30pm. We saved quite a bit of money compared with families who stayed elsewhere, but paid for breakfasts and big dinners. This hotel does have an indoor pool and fitness room (which we didn't use during our visit). We stayed in a corner room on the 3rd floor and the only noise we encountered was briefly on Saturday evening around 10pm as a loud group was leaving the hotel. The beds were ok - I did wake up during the night, but didn't wake up in the morning feeling like I'd been beat up (which has been the case at other hotels). While not what I would consider a luxury hotel, it was a fantastic place to stay with the family. Overall, I would definitely stay at the Oxford Suites again when coming to Portland.

1 Thank ireland512
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Our housekeeping team is so appreciative when our guests notice the efforts that they put forth to make sure each guest has a nice visit with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the stay and look forward to your return visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Oregon
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I really enjoy Oxford Suites as a rule. We've always been very pleased. This past visit though was different.

I called at 3:00 PM to inquire about check-in time, and was told check-in was at 3:00. I was put on hold for a bit, not out of the norm for hotels in larger cities. We were shopping about 20 minutes away and headed to the hotel around 4:00.

Upon arrival, my husband was told our room was not yet ready. Considering we'd left our home nearly 12 hours earlier and had a 4 year old who was more than done with being in the car for awhile, we were not very happy. But, what can you do? So we drove to the nearby Target and picked up a few things. The desk clerk had promised to call once the room was ready, but no call came. Finally my husband called them and was told our room *still* wasn't ready. We got back to the hotel at 6:00 or so - not ready. Bordering on ridiculous at this point.

I went in to speak to the desk clerk and find out what was going on. Finally we figured out that there'd been something of a miscommunication when we initially tried to check-in. They were going to put us in a larger room to make up for the other room not being ready at that time. I said we would take the original slightly smaller room, we just wanted to have a place to rest.

We had 3 teens at Warped Tour just minutes away, and the time was nearing to pick them up. Our original plan had been to go to dinner, swim, and then hit the hay. As the pool closes at 10:00, this was just not going to happen. I suggested that to make up for the inconvenience, they leave the pool open later. Oh no, can't do that - "it's a liability". The desk clerk offered to buy us a pizza. I was exhausted and hot and not thinking clearly -- my only thought was: "1 pizza is not going to feed us all", and turned it down. Later on though my husband went back to say we'd take that offer. It provided a snack for us all at least.

We availed ourselves of the shuttle service for picking up our 2 sons and their friend, who had gone to Warped Tour. It was so handy after a long day, and my husband said the driver was very nice and competent.

We changed our plans thanks to the restaurant being open later than the pool, and cooled off with swimming first, then went to dinner. We got back to the hotel and relaxed, watching TV, then finally sleeping.

The room (we had the Executive King) was very good, as usual, spacious for our crew and comfortable. Both my husband and I were very happy with the bed and got restful sleep.

The next morning my husband checked out and came to the car with a bill nearly $30 higher than anticipated. I went back inside and said the total when I reserved was around $120. The clerk said she'd research it, and I said that when I got home I would email her a copy of my reservation. I got a call a couple of hours later saying they had adjusted it, and we were billed correctly.

Overall everything was clean, the evening reception and breakfast were both good and plentiful, and the hotel is nice. But we have had much better stays than this.

Now, all that said I am sure that the problem was Warped Tour at the nearby Expo Center. There were clearly a LOT of people who had gone staying at the hotel. Unfortunately, they were a particularly obnoxious crew. Barefoot in the dining area for evening reception, absolutely abominable behavior in the pool area, and no better at breakfast. I pity the staff and the clean up they must have faced the next day. As stated above, that's the reason we were there as well, for our teenage sons and their friend to attend the festival. I am proud to say that all 3 boys were well-behaved, much better so than the others - ADULTS - I observed.

I don't think that Oxford was prepared for the chaos of being so full. They may also have had some difficult guest situations to deal with. I think that should Warped Tour be in the area next year, some lessons from this one should be noted, and hopefully they will be better prepared.

2 Thank TamiJo42
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were very pleased with our stay. The manager's reception was a nice light dinner (very good soup and salad--all you can eat) with sodas for the kids and wine for us :) Room was quite roomy and very clean with a fridge and microwave. Pool was a little small but very nice. Breakfast was very nice. The rooms they served the manager's reception and breakfast in were nice and spacious. Both accommodated guests and neither ran out of food. Location was also convenient to the freeway and walking to Safeway and fast food. Overall this was a great place and with the $107 +tax rate we got online this was a great deal! Did not use the shuttle but it seems they have one so we will certainly look them up next time we need to stay in Portland!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
boise
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel for the price. Large room and very clean. Check-in was very easy and staff very personable. Breakfast was excellent and staff very attentive to making sure every thing was good. Numerous restaurants nearby. Easy access to I-5. Highly recommend!!

Stayed July 2014
Denton, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2014

What a great find this wonderful hotel was for our family!! We were driving down from Seattle and so I had done a quick, Internet search for a place to stay and stumbled across this gem. :) With four children (teens/pre-teens), a nice sized suite is something we always dream of, but very rarely find within our budget. Well, well, well...I guess this was this traveler's dream come true as this room had super space with easy interstate access and a great price!! Also worth noting, especially from this mom of 3 teen sons!, the breakfast was stupendous!!! It was a hot meal (eggs, biscuits/pancakes, cereal, fruit, bagels, etc) served in a very spacious dining area. What a nice way to start each day as we headed out to explore nature, downtown, etc. That meal kept us going for hours before we had to stop. Also, the front desk staff was always very friendly and willing to answer patiently questions about where to go, etc. As a matter of fact, if it hadn't been for them I would have missed one of our favorite Portland attractions!! (The Test Rose Gardens...free and beautiful!!). The only negative thing I have to say about it is that it's a small chain in the Northwest so I may not have the chance to stay in one of their hotels for a long time.

Room Tip: As I was checking in with my children, the front desk associate asked my children's ages. When...