“Great location - if in downtown Portland I'd stay here again”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #44 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Severn, Maryland
“Great location - if in downtown Portland I'd stay here again”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed here for three nights the week of 12 June, while accompanying my spouse, who was in town for a conference. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Portland, which made it very convenient to access restaurants and the sights in the area. We didn't have a vehicle (for which I was glad) as the valet parking was $31/day. For the downtown area, the hotel was reasonably priced. We stayed in a room with a King bed, which was located overlooking Southwest Broadway. The area around the hotel felt fairly safe, and there were people around almost all hours of the day. The room was a reasonable size, and had a mini-fridge, which was greatly appreciated. When we first arrived and checked into our room, we needed additional linens, which were brought to the room withing 10 minutes. The only complaint about the room was a stain/smear of dirt on the wall, which housekeeping never removed (I easily wiped it off the last morning of my stay) - if it was this visible to me, I don't know why housekeeping never noticed it. I can't speak for the hotel restaurant, as we didn't eat there during our stay. The staff was friendly, and provided assistance whenever asked. The bed was very comfortable, and we didn't seem to experience the thin walls and subsequent noise that other posters have noted. The visitor center is only a couple of blocks away, where one can obtain information about the area's public transportation system, which is convenient and easy to use. Overall, it was a good Marriott, in a great city center location, and, if I find myself in downtown Portland again, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank V B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
florida
Reviewed 23 June 2011

While not the top of the line Marriott's, this was a very nice place for the price $114/night for double. The location is excellent if you are visitng downtown. The parking is steep, so I parked around the corner at the same lot for $18/night. No breakfast, which is a pain, but there is a Peet's next to the hotel. Also, no free wireless, but you can get the code.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The location is what makes the Marriott a good choice when visiting Portland. It is convenient to everything downtown. The hotel itself is a fairly standard Marriott which makes it reliable but not overwhelming. There is a Peet's coffee attached which is very convenient in the mornings.
Parking is either self or valet and a bit expensive. I've had experiences where the Valet parking attendant seems overwhelmed and the wait was pretty long to get my car.
Overall this is a decent hotel in a central location and not bad for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We stayed for two nights on Memorial Day weekend. The staff was courteous and helpful. The rooms and common areas were clean. The valet service was prompt and courteous. It was a typical nice Marriott. We had breakfast at Mez in the mornings and it was good. The concierge staff was very courteous.

Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We checked in and the rooms were not up to standard. The fridge was left in the room blocking the heater and there was a huge smudge of what looked like a hand print on the granite. Our other room had a dirty towel behind the door on the floor. When we went to the front desk we told the gal our rooms were dirty. She replied with "no they are clean rooms". She then continued to deny us any other rooms because they didn't have any other rooms available. She wasn't helpful at all, and quite rude to us. Our first experience with the hotel was ruined and we wouldn't stay again. I work in the hotel business and would be embarrassed if that happend at my hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank amack0000
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 May 2011

My husband and I stayed here recently for one night. Because it's so much cheaper than other hotels in the area, we had low expectations but were pleasantly surprised. The room was nice and comfortable, had a great view, and nice bath products. The staff at the front desk were friendly and the hotel is close to lots of stuff. The walls are thin and there was some noise in the morning, but I'm a heavy sleeper so it didn't bother me much. I would definitely stay here again!

boise, id
Reviewed 10 May 2011

We had a spacious two bed room, everything was updated, large flat screen TV and very clean. Our room did not have a view, looking onto other buildings. We bid on Priceline for the price of $ 80.00 per night.