Portland Marriott City Center
US$256
US$211
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsthe concierge loungegreat locationpioneer squarevalet parkingpeet's coffeesmall lobbywithin walking distancethe pearlhigh floorvalet servicefitness centercorner roomcentral locationlight railtwo blocksfront desk staffvery nice hotel
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This hotel definitely feels more aimed at business travel than holiday travellers. Plenty of staff available to assist with bags in the lobby. The location is great, plenty of shopping and a large food cart pod just blocks away. Many alternatives to valet parking in this area as well. Loved having Peet's Coffee shop right next door. We liked the amount of seating in the second floor lounge but wished it stayed open for drinks later.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Snurful
Reviewed 10 November 2012

The staff at this hotel is professional and friendly. I needed to have a late check-out time and there was no problem. My room was very clean and the bed exceptionally comfortable. I ate several meals at the hotel restaurant, The Mez, and the food and service excellent. I've stayed here before and have recommended it to family and friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I was quite pleased when we "won" this hotel on Priceline. I had never stayed at this property and was looking forward to it. Its in a great location for exploring downtown Portland. Right near Pioneer Square and many many restaurants. We parked at the SmartPark garage 4 blocks away to avoid the outrageous fee of $32 per day to park there. I also used my phone as a 4G hotspot since the hotel charged a ridiculous $10+ per day for internet access in the room. We were "upgraded" to the concierge floor but on the weekends there are no benefits to being on the concierge floor... so not sure why they called it an upgrade. The room itself was nice. Bed was great, TV was nice, a little work area... The bathroom was TINY TINY though... as some reviewers on Trip Advisor mentioned, if you are going to sit on the "throne" you can't even close the door while sitting... you have to come in, close the door, then sit. The Bath/Shower combo was just alright. Nothing special. The front desk was friendly and helped with any needs we had. I wouldn't mind staying here again, but hopefully for our next stay-cation we can get somewhere else. I had told them ahead of time it was our anniversary and while they certainly weren't required to, I thought we might have gotten a little card or something in our room. Other reviewers have mentioned even getting champagne and strawberries on their anniversary... Again, I certainly realize I didn't pay for those things and therefore can't feel slighted when not receiving them but I thought a little more personal touch during our stay would have been nice. I hope my review has been balanced and helpful for you.

Room Tip: High floor, concierge level.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelinpdx
Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

We pre-paid for a room with two full-size beds. We had a group of three adults. When we arrived we were notified first, that there were none available. Then, the front desk lady changed her story and told us that because we booked online that Marriot couldn't actually see our specific "requests" and that the best they could do was a king room with a roll-away bed. After discussing this with them for a few minutes we were told that we had no options. A male staff member (manager?) joined the conversation. I asked if they were going to be giving us a discount because of this mistake, to which the woman sharply replied "no" and the male staff member told me a story about how third party sites fill leftover rooms, not specific rooms, and it wasn't the hotels fault and on and on... This I know to be absolutely untrue for the site we booked through because my husband works for the site in question.

Since we were staying only one night and had no other option, we accepted the room.

Then the we arrived in the room.... It was very small and was also a handi-cap room. The young man arrived with the roll-away bed, he was rude and not very helpful. But the roll-away was squshed in and we were left to settle in. Then we realized they didn't bring any pillows for the roll-away. We didn't feel like dealing with the front desk so we sorted it out amongst ourselves.

The room was of average cleanliness. The shower head/fixture was dirty.

There were problems with the shower (the hand-held shower head had a loose screw and flopped around, this we fixed with a pocket knife). The shower failed to work properly, not switching from the 'bath' to 'shower' function completely. Also, the sink drained very slowly, with the basin filling up.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. I will not be staying here again and will tell the third party site involved about our experience (and the miss-information the hotel tried to pass off to me). It is not worth the money, in any sense.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank RLoper
Reviewed 9 November 2012

From the staff at the front door over to registration and on up to the Fitness Center this is First Class!

Then the room & I got lucky and got a suite was one of the best I have been in lately.

Way to go Marriott!