“Good choice for a hotel in the center of town”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #44 of 143 Hotels in Portland
New Jersey
“Good choice for a hotel in the center of town”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Marriott Hotels are always a reliable brand of hotels. This one was no different. There was a line at check in, but the staff was checking everyone in pretty quickly.

The room sizes were pretty big and the beds very comfortable. The room with a King size bed is more than big enough to bring a roll out bed into.

This hotel is in the center of where you want to be in Portland. Many breweries, clubs, shops, restaurants, and coffee houses within walking distance.

Just be warned in advance that they are doing construction in parts of the hotel and you will hear it in the morning. We were told this when we checked in, but it was really too late at that point to try and find other lodging.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the construction, it gets very loud in the mornings.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
pdxct, General Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I was distressed to learn of the inconvenience your experienced as a result of the noise from our room renovation. Unfortunately, there is never a good time for us to renovate the hotel, no matter how hard we try to isolate or minimize the construction noise from our guests. Please accept my sincere apology for not being able to relocate you to another room because we were completely sold out.

I appreciate your positive comments about the friendless of our staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them.

We do hope that you will visit our hotel again whenever you are in Portland, Oregon so you can experience our newly renovated rooms and facilities. We certainly do appreciate and value your loyalty.

Again, thank you and please accept our sincere apologies.

Have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Leavenworth
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Darn. I was really looking forward to my ONE night at this hotel, away from all my obligations, at a wonderful conference. Sadly, I got stuck in one of the rooms right under the construction, and without any kind of view except the building next door. I realize someone has to be in this room, I'm just sorry it was me. I asked early in the day to be moved, but there was no possibility as the hotel was full. I tried three more times to no avail. The banging went on all day, and as I type this at 5:20 on a Saturday night, they are still hammering away over my head. Of course I wasn't in my room all day, but nonetheless, all weekend? Hammering? On top of that, the room smells bad (old, musty, stale air?). I'm sure the rooms ABOVE are nice as they are all remodeled, but being stuck right below it all is not so fun. That would be floor 8 at the time of writing this. That being said, the location of the hotel is excellent, the size of the room is decent, and the bathroom is nice. The hotel amenities are sparse, the internet is not included unless you want to sit in the lobby, and the entire hotel seems a little dark. The hotel staff including the doorman, the bellhop, the front desk, and even the staff I met in the hallway were all extremely friendly. Sadly, I would not stay here again, but maybe it'll be amazing after the construction is all done.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Calgary
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Great hotel....checked in late and was given an upgrade due to my husbands' status. The room was very clean and had a nice seating area. The conceirge level was great, although breakfast only went till 9:30. It was a hot breakfast plus continental. The staff were very attentive to everyone's needs, and were very outgoing, and friendly with each and every patron.
The valet staff was very quick in retrieiving the car when needed, and were very helpful in loading our vehicle as well. The front desk staff were great in any requests we had as well.
Overall, the hotel is a great stay and would not hesitate to stay there again.
**This hotel does not have a pool**

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
pdxct, General Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Thank you for your stay and for your complimentary comments about our staff and hotel. We really appreciate and value your business. I will share your comments with our entire staff. We look forward to your return visit when our hotel will be completely renovated.
Again, thank you and have a great day.
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2013

The location is perfect for exploring this side of Portland. I used the nearby Smart Park for parking until evening and moved onto the street for free parking until 8 am.

The room was excellent on the Club Floor. The lounge had a great view, but the hotel overall seemed slightly cold.

They were kind enough to alert me to renovations. And yup, when I arrived banging could be heard until the evening and then again in the morning at 9 am, it was one floor below. That'll be done soon. Overall a solid hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
pdxct, Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Thank You for the Positive Review, we understand the renovation can be noisy at times, and we appreciate your understanding. Thankfully our renovation will be completely finished by the end of March and we are able to limit the noise to the daytime hours. Check back on our page as we will be posting photos of the great new rooms very shortly. Sincerely Ted Cerwonka, Portland Marriott City Center.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 29 January 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't say this hotel was outstanding, but there definitely wasn't anything wrong with it. Everything is within walking distance! However, we were woken up early Saturday morning by incessant hammering which lasted for a couple of hours at least. I completely understand remodeling and these occurrences happening during the week, but on a Saturday?

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

A great "home base" for our 1st visit to Portland: many things within easy walking distance, and super-close MAX for everything beyond. All staff members we encountered were exceptionally welcoming and knowledgable. Room service & concierge lounge food was very good.

The room wasn't "bad", but it was small, and the bathroom was not as clean as it should've been upon arrival (I've seen much worse and have a relatively high tolerance level, but a big ol' hair around the tub drain was not at all pleasant after an exhausting trip). The bed was incredibly comfy.

The location and staff more than made up for the little-less-than-perfect room.

• Stayed January 2013
Elbert, CO
Reviewed 24 January 2013

The hotel is in an awesome location, right downtown where the action is. I was there when it was just starting a renovation, but there was nothing to distract from a very pleasant stay. The staff is very accommodating and all the facilities are up to Marriott standards. I can't wait to see the new rooms! I'll be back!

Room Tip: The x10 room is awesome!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business