“Great city-center option”

Ranked #43 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Oregon
“Great city-center option”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Lovely room and friendly staff. Exactly what I would expect. Just AVOID the restaurant. It was one of, if not THE WORST meals we have ever had. See notes about room location. Check rates again before travel - Marriott website showed a lower rate, I called and they honored it. Parking fees are $$$ so take that into consideration when comparing prices. Location is convenient to hopping on light rail/street car or walking to various downtown neighborhoods. Peets and Starbucks are both very close by.

Room Tip: Upper levels (14 and higher) with rooms ending in 06 through 09 should have a great view of the Broa...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank prtlndblnd
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and providing your praise of our rooms and our staff! I am alarmed of your experience with our restaurant as we recently received honors for quality and service. Please contact me directly so that we can address your specific concerns, as your satisfaction is our ultimate goal. We appreciate your feedback regarding our convenient location are happy to offer one of the lowest Valet parking rates in the downtown area, with a secure, private garage allowing guests to leave their vehicle and enjoy our beautiful downtown area by foot. Thank you for the insightful feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.
Kassie Barone
(503) 226 - 6300
kassie.barone@interstatehotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Marriott had a great AAA rate so we decided to stay at this location (there are several in Portland). This one is not directly near the max but is a few blocks away.
Pros : Location- Only a ten minute walk away from The pearl district, and very close to voodoo doughnuts. Lots of restaurants nearby. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.
Front desk staff- Taylor and Megan were very friendly and helped us check in and gave great recommendations. Much appreciated!

Cons: The bartender, Joel, was very short/rude. We usually enjoy the hotel bar to relax in and have a few drinks but he seemed rushed/didn't care. So after one drink we left and headed across the street to hotel Valencias bar, who had excellent service.

Internet is $9.95/day, I feel like most hotels have this included these days.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your time and care in providing your feedback! I appreciate your recognition of Taylor and Megan at the Front Desk who truly exemplify our spirit to serve and I will share your kind remarks with the team. I sincerely apologize for the impression you were given in our DEN Lounge and will address your concern as this service is not typical of our staff. I thank you for informing me of your experience and we hope to be given an opportunity to welcome you back with the genuine care you can depend on. Thank you again!
Hawaii
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located within Downtown Portland. Easy walking to shopping and food venues. Room large and roomy. Concierge Lounge food good, view of city better. Valet Only parking pricey. Staff very helpful and courteous. Only concern: though I put out the 'Do Not Disturb' sign, housekeeper kept servicing my room.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback! I am delighted to hear of your satisfaction with our amenities and staff, each of which contribute strongly to an enjoyable visit. I am surprised of your unusual experience with the Do Not Disturb sign and invite you to contact me directly so that we may look into the details of your visit, as we appreciate the opportunity to ensure our staff’s proficiency on our practices. I look forward to addressing our shared concern!
Kassie Barone
Guest Service Ambassador
Kassie.barone@interstatehotels.com
(503) 226 - 6300
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Great location near shops and dining. I stayed on the 14th floor and even though I had to look at an ugly roof top there were good aspects to the view as well...Burnside bridge and the skyline looking North at night was nice. Staff were very laid back and pro, always quick to help. Parking around the corner was 50.00 for the 2 days. The dining room was warm and welcoming, spinach risotto was very good, the server was great and attentive. The room its self while a bit small was very neat and tidy, well appointed, a refrigerator but no microwave.... and quiet excepting the occasional door shutting noises from the hall way....security was good and my stay was all around very nice...I will most surely return!

Room Tip: Ask for view room at reservation...some views are really wonderful but they do have bad view rooms a...
Green Features: Recycle trash baskets in each room. I don`t know what other measures they take, concerning green policy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review! I am elated to hear of your positive remarks regarding multiple aspects of our hotel and that you were able to enjoy beautiful city views of the skyline and bridges from your room. It is our pleasure to provide an array of additional amenities, such as a microwave, upon request in order to make your stay even more enjoyable, and we invite you to contact us prior to your next arrival so that we may ensure your perfect room is waiting. Thank you again for your kind feedback and I will be sure to share your comments with our team. See you next time!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Portland is always a reliable weekend destination from Seattle. Powell's Books, the growing number of breweries, and a lot of really good restaurants are all worth taking advantage of. If one of the boutique chains is out of my budget, I will generally turn to Priceline to book a room. The Marriott City Center is usually one of the hotels that I'll get for my bid (The Marriott Riverside and the Hilton are the other two). The rooms are very nice, especially for the bid amount (the latest trip was $73 a night). It's within easy walking distance of most of the places I want to visit. The staff is fairly laid back for a Marriott, but then again it's Portland.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your outstanding review and also for joining us on your weekend getaway. Our staff has been recognized for being extremely friendly while still maintaining a high level of professionalism and I am in hopes this was conveyed to you through the relaxed demeanor you mention. Speaking of the growing number of restaurants, a new “alley” of local restaurants has just opened nearby; come see us again soon and we will share our favorite recommendations with you! Thank you again.
Eagle, Idaho
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I had not stayed at the Marriott City Center in several years, as my last stay was not the best. My girlfriends and I decided to give it another try as we were meeting in Portland to partake in the area's holiday events. We like the location of this hotel as it is close to the Max and the Streetcar. The hotel staff were the best. Always greeted you with a smile and always quick to help with any questions, problems, or concerns. Unfortunately, our stay was cut short due to a downtown power outage. The staff worked hard to accommodate the guests. They found us rooms at another downtown Marriott and made sure we were able to get our luggage down 17 flights.
The rooms were clean and bright. The bed was comfortable. We had lunch and breakfast in the restaurant. Service was very slow.
The down side of this hotel is having to use your room key to work the elevator. You can not access any floors higher than the floor you are staying on. This is not convenient if you have friends staying on a higher floor and you want to visit their room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sandgravity
We are delighted at the opportunity of hosting you as our return guest and thank you for your insightful review. Being a downtown property and keeping our guest’s security a top concern, our elevators require the use of a room key in efforts to control access to our guestroom floors. Your room key will allow you to access each floor of the hotel as we understand the convenience of meeting other parties; I apologize for any issues you encountered in doing so. Stop by the Front Desk next time so we may correct any inconveniences you are experiencing; it is our pleasure to assist you! I appreciate your mention of the staff accommodating you well during the unforeseen city-wide power issue. We took measures seriously in ensuring our guests remained safe and well cared for during this unfortunate situation generated from a city issue outside of the hotel and we sincerely appreciate your understanding. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back; our friendly staff will be waiting!
New York, NY
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Family and I spent New Year's Eve at The Portland Oregon Marriott City Center in the Executive Suite Top (20th) Floor. The positives for this property are the delightful staff from the Front Desk personnel to the executive lounge hosts to the valet parking staff. Another pro is the great city location and the recently refurbished rooms.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank njnetsfan
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for your charming review! We are utterly pleased that we were given the opportunity to host you and your family for the New Year, providing you with a memorable stay in our Executive Suite. In addition to our recent renovation, we will be completing updates in the Concierge Lounge as well as in our elevators in the coming months; please join us again soon to enjoy the new space! Thank you again.