“Good hotel”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #42 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 12 March 2014

First trip to Portland. 1 night with family.
Nice Marriott, that fulfills expecations, not extraordinary. Hotel has a small lobby and front desk squeezed in 1st floor of existing building in downtown. The hotel opens up a little on the 2nd floor, with bar and nicer than average hotel restuarant. The rooms spread out on the floors above.

The hotel has a prominent architectural feature: corner that is roundeded giving corner rooms multiple windows, expansive view, lots of light. I splurged and got a corner room for the family. A little pricey.

the staff are friendly, rooms are nice, good beds, internet is not free unless you are Gold level.

Good locaiton in downtown. Lots of restaurants around. We had dinner at Ringside Fish House a couple of blocks away. Nice, super pricey (splurge). for morning coffee there is a Peets directly below, super convenient.

Room Tip: If possible get a corner room as high as possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us on your first trip to Portland! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience at our boutique style hotel and were able to visit some of Portland’s best attractions. Next time, you’ll have to take advantage of our “Taste of Portland” package offered on our Marriott website which includes offers and perks to equally outstanding Portland locations. We hope to see you next time and thanks again!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have stayed here several times and everytime I do, I am glad I come back. Great location, great service, and great rooms. I don't recommend having a car while you are there - that is very expensive. However, other than that, it is a great place to go!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your praise and also for your continued loyalty, we value you as our frequent guest! With limited city parking space, we are proud to offer our Valet services in a private, secured garage priced among the lowest in the area. We also appreciate the opportunity to inform guests of the walker-friendly options available with our convenient location, and agree with your recommendation that a vehicle is not always necessary! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your visits even more enjoyable and it will be our pleasure. Thank you again and see you soon!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Hotel is very nice, rooms are clean, and hotel staff very helpful. The hotel bar is nice and happy hour has some good offers for snacks and drinks. The gym is quit large. Only complaint was first day there was bottled water supplied in the gym but none the next day.

WIFI is an extra expense which is a bummer. For the cost and location a good choice. Close to lots of great places and walking distance to most of downtown Portland.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your positive review of our hotel! It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, from the excellent condition of the rooms to the helpful staff, as well as our unique happy hour offerings. Complimentary bottled water is provided in the fitness center as an additional amenity and I truly apologize for the oversight on our stock that particular day. Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention so that our team can ensure the issue is isolated; we appreciate the opportunity to improve! We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Portland and please contact us if we can be of any assistance. Thank you!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Spent a weekend here with friends, taking advantage of great weekend AAA rates. Hotel rooms and staff were terrific. Easy walking to favorite restaurants and downtown attractions. Only factors that kept me from rating this hotel a 5 were the facts that they charge a ridiculous $10 a day for spotty wifi access in the rooms, and that the restaurant was nothing to write home about - lots better and cheaper choices for breakfast in the immediate vicinity. Charging for wifi access is unbelievable these days.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for your informed review of our hotel! We are thrilled our terrific staff and rooms contributed to your satisfaction. In responding to our guest’s voice, we recently introduced a new room package that includes in-room Internet so keep this in mind as you book your next visit! Our DEN restaurant works diligently to offer fare rich in local ingredients which contribute to an exceptional level of food quality. We do understand Portland offers many outstanding restaurants nearby; sometimes it is hard to choose just one! Thank you again for your review and for sharing your weekend with us. Come back again soon!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We really liked this hotel. It's more like a boutique hotel. Perfect location to walk around town. The bed was super comfortable. Parking is expensive but that is pretty standard. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Upper floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding our comfortable hotel. We are grateful of your satisfaction in the boutique feel as well as the new beds we introduced with our renovation earlier this year. In regards to parking, we are proud to offer one of the lowest Valet rates in the downtown area while providing a private 24-hour secured and staffed garage. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Portland and thank you again!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

There is a reason that I stay at Marriott's across the US - simply put - Customer Service. I arrived nearly 5 hours before check in thinking that I would store my bag at the front desk and enjoy the city. They actually let me check in and found me a room very suitable for a Platinum Elite member. As I was unpacking, I dumped my glass of soda all over the bed. I called down to the front and explained the problem and the front desk said they would fix the issue. It is important to know, it was completely my fault. I left and returned back at 5:00 and still no new bedding. I left for dinner and again returned at 8:00 and no new bedding. I called down again and the front desk said they would send someone, 1 hour later - I called again and said all I need were sheets and I would change the bed. A half hour later a very frazzled gentleman arrived, but had the wrong size sheets. He returned and again had the wrong size mattress pad. I felt bad for the guy as he was trying. Finally, by 9:00 pm, I had the bed made and was ready to turn out the light, then the phone rang and it was the front desk following up on the service. Very nice touch.

The next day I returned to my room after a day of long meetings to find a very nice apology note for the delay from the night before, a bottle of sparkling water and a box of local Moonstruck chocolates. The note was signed by the front desk. Remember - it was my fault the linens were dirty.

Two days later I went up to the concierge lounge for the evening dessert to find that there was no cheesecake. Matthew, the attendant was great. He apologized that he had mistakenly listed cheesecake as an option on the menu for the day. He kinda joked around that he was a liar and that he is working on that - I gave him a bad time back and said no worries. It was probably better on my waistline. I went down to the bar for a nightcap and when I returned to my room there was a piece of cheesecake and another handwritten note from "Matthew the Liar".

It was very evident that the staff goes out of their way to be sure guests are comfortable and happy. Thank you for such a great week in Portland. I will be returning this week and look forward to the great service and cheesecake.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the entertaining review of your stay with us and I am pleased to hear the exceptional customer service created a memorable experience for you as our loyal Platinum guest! I certainly apologize for the small bothers you experienced; I am so delighted to hear they were handled in a way exceeding your expectations. We look forward to welcome you back this week; your cheesecake will be waiting! Thank you again.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I was very pleased with this Marriott. The rooms were well kept. The linens were fresh and luxurious. And the staff was friendly and attentive. Net, net - a little bit nicer than a standard downtown Marriott.

I attended business meetings here and the banquet staff was outstanding. I was amazed at how the staff was on the ready to help us with our various requests.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SunshineGirl2929
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

What a wonderful review! Thank you for the kind remarks of the fresh condition of our rooms and the friendly, attentive staff. We are excited to announce the upcoming launch of our new Red Coat Direct program, an application that will allow you to make requests from your meeting room’s mobile device directly to our banquet attendant. We look forward to exceeding your expectations with this new program on your next visit! Thanks again!