“hotel and staff are great and I would stay here again”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #42 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We just came back from a great visit to Portland. This hotel is centrally located in downtown Portland and just a few short blocks from the Trimet (the light rail that you can take from the airport to downtown and vice versa.)

Hotel lobby is small but comfy and have a check-in station and internet for printing out your airline tickets. Very convenient. The valet staff at the front of the building are very nice and friendly. The front desk is also very nice and helpful. The room itself is clean. I did notice that there's a rip on the bed sheet and some slight stains on the comforter also. These are isolated incidents I am sure, but for the price we paid for, we kind of expected a little more attention to detail and not get a ripped bed sheet. Thus, 4 stars instead of 5 for this review. Aside from that, they do a good job of cleaning. The concierge lounge is nice and have a great view. The desserts are an extra bonus. If you come to Portland to experience the foodtruck scene, you can stay at this hotel because it's only about 2 blocks away. Everything in downtown is very walkable or you can ride the street cars. However, for hiking and visiting, you will want to have a car to drive. We didn't have a car for this trip and ended up hiking a lot more than we bargained for once we left downtown, but we are okay because we are used to walking. We also tried the DEN restaurant and the food was decent. The server was awesome and we truly enjoyed our dining experience there. We also used the exercise room. It was a lot bigger than a lot of other Marriott's we visited. Very nice touches like headsets, water, towels, etc. We also utilized their laundry room (one washer/dryer) and it was great. Because we packed light and hiked more than expected, we were very happy to be able to wash our clothes on this trip.

One tip I would like to share for those of us who are noise sensitive. This hotel has very thin walls and you can pretty much hear everything going on in the next room and in the hallway. Also, before you fall asleep at night, turn the AC unit to "auto" instead of "fan" because that fan will keep you up all night. We made the mistake of not adjusting it one night and it was so noisy that it kept me up most of the night until I realized that it was the AC fan and got up to turn it off.

Overall, I think the hotel and staff are great and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Avrilx
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you so much for this great review. We appreciate all of your compliments and we are happy to find that your stay went very well. We also appreciate your honest side notes concerning the noises that you heard in your room. Information like this gives us an opportunity to always improve so that you are able to enjoy your next stay with us even more.

For your next stay with us I would like to inform you that Portland has a wide variety of amazing city tours ranging from a basic walking tour to brewery tours to food and coffee tours. If you ever have any questions on what to see in the Portland our front desk staff and our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador would be more than happy to help you in any way.

I would like to thank you again for great review and we hope to be given the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Marcus

Reviewed 5 May 2014

So I think this is a really solid choice for a place to stay. It is quite a bit smaller than most Marriott's. I am surprised it is not part of the Autograph Collection. It could really do well as a boutique-style hotel that is a bit trendier...There is virtually no lobby, although there is some common space on the 2nd floor.

Anyways, Front Desk staff is super friendly and informative regarding the area and what to do in the PDX. Also, the Porters at the front door were always friendly and helpful with directions. One of my favorite people was a housekeeper whom I think was named Zamira. She was just so friendly!

The rooms are a bit small but nice and look fresh and new. Nothing exciting about the rooms, but they surely are decent. And the price is pretty decent as well. The comfortable bed could have used two more of the pillows. The ones they use are very soft and of good quality but they are not very big and really puff down when you lay on them.

Concierge Lounge is quite nice. Only thing that bothered me was that the staff was a bit overly friendly and intrusive into people's personal lives. It made me a bit uncomfortable. The very young woman during breakfast in the morning (the one who just left to move back to Utah, while first going to Idaho to pick up her car and then drive there so she could be with family...I heard her whole sob story about 10 times...) laid out cash to get tips on the used plate tray. She pandered for tips and I never saw her do anything but tell her sob story over and over in the doorway of the back kitchen. It was very annoying and disruptive. The afternoon worker was a bit too personal in interacting as well, but he truly worked and was a good guy. I wonder if the hotel needs to worry about staff up there making guests feel bad that they need to provide large tips. Leaving lots of money out on that tray just seemed uncouth/unprofessional. I did not see this behavior anywhere else in the hotel.

The gym is fantastic! What was really awesome was that they provided earphones for those who did not have any. I forgot mine at home and truly appreciated that! Great equipment, too!

This is definite a place I'd stay @ many more times. The location is decent, it's very close to the train heading back to the airport and there are lots of restaurants and bars in easy walking distance.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GlendaleCA
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for such a great review. I am pleased to hear of your satisfaction with the hotel in its entirety. We are excited about our recent renovation which resulted in a boutique like atmosphere and appreciate that you enjoyed the ambiance as well. I thank you for informing us of your experience in the Concierge Lounge and we look forward to the opportunity to improve. We hope to see you next time. Your headphones will be waiting!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Well appointed and comfortable rooms, tremendous service - they valet parked our motorcycles!! Most friendly and helpful staff. *************************************************************************************

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Wow! Thank you for the great compliments. It is our pleasure to take care of your needs. Also, feel free to bring your motorcycles back with you anytime. Thank you again!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My business unit hosted an annual conference in Portland for 23 individuals from around the world. I served as the POC for the conference and am extremely grateful for the professional, courteous staff I worked with in managing this event. Each venue was set up well, staff was extremely responsive to our needs and constantly were checking on us consistently. As an individual staying at the hotel, I found the accommodations to be very nice, and enjoyed the beauty of an older facility that is clearly taken care of "with love."

The location is 1 1/2 blocks from a Max (light rail) station that gives you access to virtually any area of the greater Portland Metropolitan area, and it is also within walking distance of many of Portland's key downtown features. You could literally never need to rent a car if all your activities were in this area, as The Max goes all the way to the airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ptuerler

Thank you for such a great review. We are so happy that your conference went so well. We are also thrilled that you noticed and enjoyed how convenient and centrally located our hotel is to everything. If you have any plans to visit Portland in the near future please keep in mind that Portland is even more amazing at this time. You can shop, go hiking in Washington Park and walk our Waterfront all in one day and still have energy for an amazing meal at one of Portland’s many amazing restaurants. Again, thank you for the kind words and if there is anything we can do to make your next stay even better please let us know.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location in downtown Portland. The valet parking is $37/day, however there is a parking garage in the next block that charges a maximum of $20 weekdays and $11 weekend nights--including over night.
We didn't use the restaurant or gym, but the rooms were great.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

What an excellent review! I am pleased you enjoyed our hotel’s amazing location and our spectacular rooms. Both our restaurant and fitness center often receive high compliments and I hope you are able to enjoy these amenities on your next visit. Summer is coming and downtown Portland comes alive with concerts and other outdoor events such as Pioneer Square’s Movies in the Square or “Flicks on the bricks”. Starting July 25th Pioneer Courthouse Square shows free movies in the evenings. There will be so many more activates to choose from as well and we hope to welcome you back. Thank you once again!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Lets face it, the hotel choices in Portland are generally quite poor. I've stayed at many of them and have come to expect a general low level of appeal. This is one of the better ones, for sure. First off the location is great! Walkable to anything downtown. The staff was wonderful including going the extra mile to find me a room of my liking. The concierge staff is some of the best I have encountered in 20 years of Marriott stays! The gym was decent but very busy at 6am! I'd stay again, for sure!

Room Tip: Top floor is 20. The rooms are decent size. Try and get one above floor 14 or so. Also the ones f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lucycan

Wow! It is such an honor to be your choice hotel in the downtown area and we thank you for the genuine praise. I will be certain to share your kind words with our staff. Being such a seasoned traveler, we are delighted to achieve your satisfaction. Hope to see you this summer with the many events happening in our area. Thank you again.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The location of this Marriott is excellent. The staff is super friendly and knowledgeable of the local area and what it has to offer. The Hotel, it is just an Average Marriott and I am a Marriott fan. If you are looking for a great location and service, this is it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sail2fun
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Hello and thank you for sharing your positive review of our staff service and wonderful location! Our hotel recently finished a complete renovation of our guest rooms and public areas, and we are excited for our guests to enjoy the new amenities such as brand new beds and furnishings, as well as our added Great Room space. Come back and visit us again soon, and thank you for your review!