“Great Location Great Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portland Marriott City Center

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #44 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Vancouver
“Great Location Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We love Portland and normally stay at The Westin but we got a better deal at the Marriott and I am glad we tried it. Just around the corner from the Westin on Broadway this is a very central Hotel and so easy to get to. Great staff and very clean. Room was small but comfortable. Highly recommend for a romantic stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rusty49
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
I wanted to thank you for choosing our hotel. It sounds like you had a great time with us and that is such good news. I personally feel that our hotel has the best location in town. We are just two blocks from the best food cart pod in town (between SW 9th &10th & Alder/Washington), we face the new West End Neighborhood, just a handful of blocks from Powell’s Book Store, the Pearl District, the Waterfront, Pioneer Place Square and the list goes on.

We hope that you choose out hotel again in the near future. Also, please feel free to request the services of our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador. He will be able to give you endless recommendations which will add to your experience. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Central Portland is one of the most interesting places to walk of the U.S. cities I've visited. From this hotel I could quickly get to the central library, a city square, trains going in all directions, Powell's bookstore, a movie theater that shows indy films, Deschutes brewery, and some stellar restaurants. And that's just the things I did; there are many, many more experiences to be had. This hotel was as comfortable and quiet as any Marriott I've stayed in. The service is available, but low key. My upper floor room had a spectacular view of the city and on beyond to Mt. Hood. Couldn't ask for a more beautiful sight to wake up to every morning. Falling asleep to the twinkling lights of the city was special as well.

Room Tip: Choose the side that faces Mt. Hood and get an upper floor
Green Features: Definitely appreciate that they have a recycling bin in the room.
Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelRaven
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
This review was such a pleasure to read. I am so happy that you understand just how special Portland Oregon is. There is so much to do here. Our food scene is one of the best in the country. Our music scene is amazing, the biking, parks, the amazing neighborhoods, our award winning mass transit, Mt. Hood, Mt. Saint Helens and our close proximity to beaches. What more can you ask for?

I would like to invite you to stay with us again soon. Feel free to request the services of our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador. He will help you find even more amazing hot spots in the Portland area. Thank you again for such a great review!
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We were in town for a soccer game, and day trips out of Portland, 5 nights total. Booked though one of the online websites, got a great price. TIP -- I called the day before, asked if we could have a room with a view - They said since they were surrounded by taller buildings, even view floors weren't that great a view. When they checked us in, they informed us that we were on the 14th floor, North side, King sized room. Had a nice view of several bridges.
Very nice room. Small fridge, no microwave - so don't bring back leftovers that need to be heated up !
Hotel is on SW Broadway at Washington - Valet / check in right on the corner, easy to pull in.
BOTH are one way streets. Valet parking was $37, which is about the norm since very few public parking areas and no surface lots. Valet guys were VERY NICE both when we dropped car off or picked it up in the morning for our day trip.
Concierge / front desk was very helpful with suggestions on places to eat and provided directions for several out of town destinations.
TIP - don't pay $3 for the hotel water. There is a very large Rite Aid out front door to the left 1 block. It's two stores knocked together, one has all kinds of snack items and soda. We bought a big jug of bottled water and refilled our small bottles each day.
The MAX red and blue lines are two blocks at Pioneer Square. $5 per person for an all day pass. Pick up a MAX map at the hotel desk.
Brought Cheerios with us for breakfast so did not use restaurant or visit the hotel bar.
Hotel was very centrally located for many restaurants and stores. Prob could have visited other parts of town if we'd used the MAX line.
Portland is FULL of one way streets - so get a good map before you arrive.
We never found any clear directions to the many bridges spanning the river, but found that if we followed any sign that said City Center we ended up close to the hotel.
Got a great price on line, all staff we dealt with were knowledgeable and pleasant. Had a great time at the Marriott City Center.

Room Tip: Call ahead, we had 14th floor, facing North
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
pdxct, Public Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for contacting Marriott Customer Care regarding your experience with Portland Marriott City Center. I do appreciate all the kind words and detailed information concerning your experience with us. Any information that we are given by a guest always proves to be very helpful.

I would also like to invite you to stay with us again soon. Feel free to contact the hotel in advance and request trip planning assistance. Our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador would be more than happy to give you suggestions and recommendations in order to make your next stay even better than the last. If you would like any brochures that our hotel does not carry at the moment please ask the Guest Satisfaction Ambassador about any information that you may need and he will gather this information for you personally.

Your satisfaction is our highest priority and we hope to see you soon.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I recently read a hotel insider article about how hotels treat people like dogs who book from third party companies like Priceline. Well, it was definitely the case with me. I got pretty much the worst room possible. Double beds, no phone reception in the room, and handicap accessible so now counter space in the bathroom even though I called the morning and asked for a king because I was traveling with an infant.

After walking into the room and realizing the double beds and terrible bathroom, I called the front desk and the lady said they don't honor requests from those that book third party. She was very rude about it too. She mentioned "third party" like 10 times. My infant almost fell off the bed because my wife and I couldn't cover the edges with him in the middle on a full sized bed. Another staff later helped us get a king room. We even had cell reception there. Kudos to that person.

Good: Location, King rooms, elevators secured by card, some staff friendly
Bad: Treat third party bookings like second class citizens, valet too expensive, their self park garage is 4 blocks away, no cell reception at all on certain floors (6th, 7th, others), no free wifi.

There's a Westin a block away. I'm sure it is much better. Stay there.

Room Tip: Avoid floors with no cell reception. If you are not going to keep accessing your car, don't vale...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ZeeAAA
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 10 June 2014

I would like to take this time to apologize for your last stay with us and to take the time to address what happened. I know from personal experience that when you book a room through a third party company in order to get the best deal possible you will be put in the room has not been requested ahead of time by other future guests.

I would like to apologize for the lack of phone reception and the lack of respect you were given by an employee. This is defiantly not the usual treatment and this will be addressed immediately. Your satisfaction is our number one concern. I am happy to hear that you were given a King room and that your stay with us improved.

I would like to invite you to stay with us and upon your arrival please contact me directly. Feel free to contact me by email in advance or by requesting me at the front desk. My name is Marcus and I am the Guest satisfaction Ambassador at the Portland Marriot City Center. It would be my pleasure to assist you and to help make your stay as positive as possible.

Thank you again for reaching out to Marriott Customer Care.
Exeter, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here 3 weeks so far (and stay in many Marriott properties) and it is a quiet hotel, that is clean and comfortable. I highly recommend.
The gym is well stocked.
The concierge lounge is also clean and well kept with a nice view of the city.
My 2 wishes were around the elevator/stairs - I wish I was able to go between the floor of the gym and the floor I was staying on via the stairwell, but for security reasons there was no re-entry on the floors. Similarly having to have the room access card to travel in the elevator was cumbersome, but understandable for security reasons.
I did like that I could just flash the card in front of the room to get in, as opposed to putting it in a slot.
I would recommend and would stay there again.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms so far has been nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jill L
I would like to thank you for this great review. We always want to make sure that all our guests are happy, safe and having a great time. I do understand that our key card system can seem cumbersome but you are right, this is all for the safety of our guests.

On your next stay with us, please feel free to take request assistance on the many activities that are happening in Portland. There is so much going on and we would love to help you have the time possible.
Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The location of this hotel really can't be beat - right in the heart of downtown and close to everything you could possibly need. The staff were mostly wonderful, the room was nice, and the bar and lobby areas were cozy. My only disappointment was that the housekeeping was really random. They wouldn't come in until the evening(?), and then they didn't replace all the coffee supplies, glasses, hand soap or towels - it was strange. Oh, and there was a lot of door slamming... Apart from that I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BT2007
I am so happy to find that you had such a great time. I also appreciate your honesty about what you were less than happy with. I learned something from your review and I appreciate that. This kind of information helps our hotel to improve.

I invite you to stay with us again soon. Please feel free to ask about new and fresh ideas concerning what to do in Portland on your next stay. Thank you again for staying with Marriott!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here June, 2014. Clean, quiet, very comfortable bed. Excellent location, walking distance to all public transportation, restaurants,shops, etc. 7 blocks from waterfront, great shopping district, staff very friendly, prices for breakfast reasonable. Nice restaurant and lounge for guests.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It is so great to hear that you had such a great time. I always enjoy reading more and more of our guests are exploring Portland. This city has so much to offer and I am so please to find out that you agree. We hope to see you again soon!