“TERRIBLE VALET SERVICE.. - Valet Damaged Vehicle and is denying it...Typical...”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #43 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I really wished it didn't come down to this as I was giving you guys the benefit of the doubt that you would do the right thing (after waiting for 3 mths to hear back about the incident) but I guess I have to voice myself so others are aware. We stayed at your hotel from Friday April 18th to the 21st 2014 and paid the $37/night valet fee only to have our brand new BMW with less than 6000kms on the clock damaged by your reckless and careless valet company. I'm a pretty straight up guy, and have no problems accepting fault if I were to damage my own vehicle and I can tell you EVERY single scratch/dent that exists on the vehicle so I would definitely know if the side skirt was damaged as much as it was, but now this has become all about principle and being accountable if you are offering to provide other people a service. For you to now claim that we damaged it ourselves is beyond ridiculous when I clearly know it was damaged by one of the valet staff. We were surprised when we got the vehicle back that the trip computer was indicating only 6kms left on the fuel tank (I never let it run that low) and that was just the start that something wasn't quite right. And to claim that the vehicle is parked underground surprises me when it comes back which a whole bunch of dried up leaves,etc all over it indicates to me that it was outdoors for a lengthy amount of time. We did make an incident report with Marriott corporate on the the day it occurred, and I will definitely be escalating this matter further.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gunmetalgrey
pdxct, General Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Portland Marriott City Center, we sincerely appreciate all of our guests feedback, and are certainly apologetic our actions have not met your expectations.
We take every concern of a guest very seriously, and in this case, immediately made contact with you outlining the insurance protocols in place. Following which, we submitted all hotel records to our insurance; the insurance company being the party which would make a determination in your case. Please be assured only facts, records, and photos (including those of our underground secured garage), are ever entered into any claim; never any opinion.
I understand this has been a lengthy process. When a car is in the care of the hotel, we take extreme measures to ensure vehicles are returned in the same condition we receive them. In that effort, we do have a secured hotel only garage, highly trained valet staff, and we walk around a guest vehicle when we receive it to note damage (or lack of); doing the same when the vehicle is returned to the guest. We invite guests to walk around their cars with us prior to returning possession to them. Due to all these processes, if possession of a vehicle is accepted and later damage reported, this may slow the resolution process of that situation. Please understand, at this time, the hotel has taken very action available; our insurance company will continue to make efforts to bring this situation to resolution as quickly as possible.
Without regard to liability or fault, we are saddened to learn of any damage to your vehicle and the negative effect this could take on your travels. We genuinely enjoyed hosting your family during your travels in Portland, and I invite you to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance. Safe travels and take care ~

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Fort Pierce, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is located in downtown and within easy walking distance of the waterfront and many local attractions. We were staying here as part of a bus tour, I don't know what the rates were but the room we had was great-plenty of space, good bed and pillows and the bathroom was away from the sleeping area. The room was very quiet. Getting around town from here was very easy. We had a very good continental breakfast each morning (2) we were there and the security is very good. I would stay here again if going back to Portland.

Green Features: Recycling trash baskets in the room for paper, plastic, cans and glass (all in 1 basket).
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review. I am so happy to find that you had such a great time in Portland. Portland Marriott City Center is one of the most centrally located hotels in the Downtown Portland area and if you want to get out and have fun, then we are the hotel for you.

We hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you again for choosing Portland Marriott City Center.
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The good news: Excellent downtown location, large rooms, good beds, quiet (all VERY important). The bad: Our room had a view of a dirty wall of an adjacent building (about 30 feet away) and air conditioning equipment. This is definitely the worst view of any hotel that I've seen. One other issue: no (ATT) cell service in our room (fine in lobby). Parking is off site...but very good valet service.
This said, the staff are very courteous, the hotel is clean and nice. Would return, but would ask about where the room is situated (and about cell service).

Room Tip: Ask about the view, if you care; otherwise you may be looking out at a wall.
1 Thank Richard C
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. All of this information is extremely valuable to us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotels great location, room size and quality service. I do apologize for the lack of view in your room.

I would like to invite you to stay with us again in the near future so that we may be given the opportunity to show you what we are capable of. Please feel free to contact our hotel in advance to make any requests that you may have. You are also more than welcome to request the services of our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador and he will be more than happy to work with you on your next stay in Portland. We hope to see you again soon.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This downtown hotel is what you would expect from Marriott. Clean, comfortable, helpful staff. Very comfy bed with lots of pillows. Small bathroom. Great location. Don't be surprised by $37/night for parking. Nice fitness room with newer equipment (but please provide cups for water they are bigger than a thimble.)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing this review. I am happy to find that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel does have one of the best locations in the city and I am thrilled that you recognize that. Whether you are staying with us for business or leisure, you cannot go wrong with Portland Marriott City Center.

Also, thank you for alerting us about the size of our beverage cups in the lobby. We are now providing slightly larger cups. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we see you again soon.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We scheduled a symposium here this year and to make it easier for me to coordinate it, I chose to get a room. Everything from the room to the symposium was accommodated in a very professional manner and with more service than I could expect. At the symposium, there was always someone there to see if there was anything more they could do. Needless to say, I was very pleased and would highly recommend it to anyone wishing to stay the night or host a conference.

Room Tip: Not much to see in the middle of downtown. I don't think there was a view to be had. Elevators...
Green Features: I didn't have time to notice the hotel's environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
I would like to take the time to thank you for your kind words. Your satisfaction will always be our focus and I am so happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations. I hope that you will visit us again soon. We are always here for you! Thank you again.
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We love Portland and normally stay at The Westin but we got a better deal at the Marriott and I am glad we tried it. Just around the corner from the Westin on Broadway this is a very central Hotel and so easy to get to. Great staff and very clean. Room was small but comfortable. Highly recommend for a romantic stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room.
1 Thank rusty49
I wanted to thank you for choosing our hotel. It sounds like you had a great time with us and that is such good news. I personally feel that our hotel has the best location in town. We are just two blocks from the best food cart pod in town (between SW 9th &10th & Alder/Washington), we face the new West End Neighborhood, just a handful of blocks from Powell’s Book Store, the Pearl District, the Waterfront, Pioneer Place Square and the list goes on.

We hope that you choose out hotel again in the near future. Also, please feel free to request the services of our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador. He will be able to give you endless recommendations which will add to your experience. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Central Portland is one of the most interesting places to walk of the U.S. cities I've visited. From this hotel I could quickly get to the central library, a city square, trains going in all directions, Powell's bookstore, a movie theater that shows indy films, Deschutes brewery, and some stellar restaurants. And that's just the things I did; there are many, many more experiences to be had. This hotel was as comfortable and quiet as any Marriott I've stayed in. The service is available, but low key. My upper floor room had a spectacular view of the city and on beyond to Mt. Hood. Couldn't ask for a more beautiful sight to wake up to every morning. Falling asleep to the twinkling lights of the city was special as well.

Room Tip: Choose the side that faces Mt. Hood and get an upper floor
Green Features: Definitely appreciate that they have a recycling bin in the room.
Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelRaven
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
This review was such a pleasure to read. I am so happy that you understand just how special Portland Oregon is. There is so much to do here. Our food scene is one of the best in the country. Our music scene is amazing, the biking, parks, the amazing neighborhoods, our award winning mass transit, Mt. Hood, Mt. Saint Helens and our close proximity to beaches. What more can you ask for?

I would like to invite you to stay with us again soon. Feel free to request the services of our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador. He will help you find even more amazing hot spots in the Portland area. Thank you again for such a great review!