“Very Nice Embassy Suites....Very crowded” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport
Ranked #47 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Niles, Ohio
“Very Nice Embassy Suites....Very crowded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

My husband, son (22) and I recently stayed at the Embassy Suites Portland Airport. Husband and I had stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn nearby in October and just wanted a slightly bigger room with the 3 of us traveling together this time. We arrived at the hotel and the first thing we noticed is that the hotel really is at the airport! You are practically on the runway! Can't get much more convenient than that if you have an early morning flight to catch! We headed into the hotel and our first impression was fantastic. The lobby is large and upscale looking, the front desk checkin was amazing. Staff was helpful and very pleasant. Our room was very nice and quite large. Sometimes the room size varies and this hotel had suites that were bit larger than some of the Embassy Suites we have stayed in before.

This hotel would have been absolutely perfect other than the fact that it was totally PACKED for this night. Now I know that Embassy Suites on weekends tend to be more crowded with large families staying for different events. We have stayed at them when there have been soccer or baseball tournaments and it's a great place to pack a whole lot of people into one room. So when you book any Embassy Suites on a weekend the crowds are something to keep in mind. However...this one was beyond crowded! We headed down to dinner at the hotel. We had arrived just as the manager's reception had gotten underway and had planned to stop there first and then head to dinner but we noticed a HUGE line for the manager's reception. We were seated quickly at the restaurant. The service was a little slow and the staff was totally frazzled. We weren't in any rush so we just waited. Our food was very good. The dining room is right in the middle of the lobby so it was a bit loud with all the people at the manager's reception which was in another corner of the lobby. All in all...food was good....service was fine after it calmed down a bit. We headed back up to the room. Elevators (which again always seem to be a problem on the weekends at the Embassy Suites Hotels anywhere) were a little hard to commandeer but otherwise we were fine.

We got into our room and settled in for the evening when about 10:30 PM we kept hearing children running around the hotel. Turned out they were playing hide and seek and hiding around the various rooms. They would squeal and run away. This continued for quite awhile. My husband finally stepped out of the room and they took off but ended up on a lower floor. The sound carries from the lobby right on up as the rooms are placed around the outside rim of the lobby. We were worried about noise from the planes......never heard one plane at all!

We woke up the next morning (Sunday) and went down to breakfast....all the people that were at the manager's reception were now at breakfast! The poor staff couldn't keep up with the demands on food that this crowd was making. Each family had to have 3-4 children. The entire lobby was packed full of people so seating was at a premium. One of us held a table and the others went for food, then we switched. Most of the food was low and some things were completely gone. We went down in the middle of the breakfast time range so I have no idea what was left for the people who came down later. Kids were running all over the place shoving onto and off of the elevators. It was not a very relaxing stay.

It turns out that there must have been some sort of convention in the area as most of the people had name tags on them and were dressed up. I really think that this hotel on a different night would have been a totally better experience. It was very nice and had it not been crawling with people, would have been able to offer a better experience so I am giving it 4 stars because it was better than average but it doesn't make 5 stars with the stressful experience.

I have to say that my favorite thing at this hotel was the electrical outlet strip that was built into the desk.....it was absolutely perfect for charging all of our electronics!! Sometimes it's the little things!

Room Tip: Book this hotel for a week day night if at all possible. Weekends are very crowded!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jim D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you for your insightful review and your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Portland Airport. I do understand that the weekend you were with us got quiet hectic and crowded and I apologize for any inconveniences that you might have run into. I can assure you that not all of our weekends are as crowded as that one. We hope to welcome you back again soon for a more relaxing stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Washington State
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

This hotel was ver comfortable and clean. The waterfall and stream through the lobby are a nice touch. We enjoyed the evening manager's reception and the full breakfast. Staff was friendly and helpful. Thanks for a very comfortable stay during our visit to portland!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your nice review. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back soon and visit us.
La Grande, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

I've stayed at this hotel before and loved it. It felt like a bit of luxury. The hotel is a bit removed and was hard for me to find the first. But I loved the room size, the fridge and microwave, the separate sitting area. Just very nice. A few days ago, I went back with my husband. We woke early and there wasn't enough in-room coffee for both of us. He went downstairs, and none was available.

I got by on a half-cup and went to the fitness center. No water in the cooler, and the vending machine wouldn't take either a $5 or $1 bill. (Several trips back to the room, up to the front desk, etc., working all this out.) The concierge was not terribly interested in the water shortage, and when I left the fitness center at 7 a.m. still no water.

We finally got some coffee when the breakfast area opened, and the breakfast was great. The omelet-maker was very efficient and did a wonderful job, but there should've been two of her. She and one maintenance staff we passed in the hallway were the only people who were friendly and helpful.

When I turned my keys in, the girl at the desk told me to have a great day, but didn't ask about our stay. Imagine that...

My husband wants to come back because it's a decent place to stay, and he enjoyed the full breakfast. We probably will, but I'll bring packets of Starbucks Via and bottles of water in the suitcase.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Jim D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including areas for improvement. I apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of meeting and exceeding our guest’s needs. Extra in-room coffee should be available from the front desk and I apologize for this being an issue. I hope that you will be our guest again soon, we would love to see you back – thank you for your review.
Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was very impressed with Embassy in Lubbock, TX and then in Sacramento, CA last month. This month, I stayed at the one at the Portland Airport. Quite a different experience and a bit disappointed. I usually try not to rip people a new one on these reviews but bummed out about this stay. Rings on shower curtain very cheap quality and someone obviously pulled on the curtain to stretch them out. The curtain was off a few of the rings and looked like something you'd find in a hotel you paid for by the hour. A few rooms down, the occupant placed a room service tray outside of their room. We noticed this when we checked in around 8 pm. When we left the next morning around 11 am, the tray was still there, with additional leftover food on it. At their breakfast service, there were plenty of tables, but most of them were waiting to be cleared. It was 8 am and you would think the place had filled up and then suddenly vacated. A guy was standing at the end of the buffet table serving bacon and sausage from the warmer, as if it was under lock and key. I would have had that gentleman clearing tables. At their omelet station that they boast about, was a line of 10 people and a cook making one omelet at a time. By the time I was able to find salt and pepper for my table, find a glass for juice, and get to the syrup that was behind the line of people waiting to get bacon or sausage, my food was stone cold. Reserving the room several weeks in advance, you would think they would make sure there were enough supplies in the room. Two adults and two children, 3 towels??? Blanket that we found in a cabinet, presumably for the hide-a-bed, had holes in it. Cable reception on the TV looked like it was coming from a coat hangar antenna (dating myself). Pool and spa were very cloudy and reeked of chlorine. Had air conditional turned as low as it would go and it might have gotten down to 72. And boo to Embassy for charging for internet. Total price for the Saturday night and internet was $160. Paid for 3 1/2 star hotel and got 2 stars worth. Kids stated the next time we go back to Portland they wanted a different hotel. I'll be happy to do so. I do want to say the staff were friendly. There, something nice to say.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for providing insight on your recent experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the quality of service and amenities you received during your stay. We are known for award winning hospitality and I must admit that we dropped the ball. The condition of your guest room and the lacking amenities are unacceptable and will be dealt with accordingly. Unfortunately we do get backed up in our complimentary breakfast area, moving forward we will schedule an additional team member to ensure the area is kept tidy and the lines moving. We look for reviews to provide insight into our guest’s experience, so I certainly appreciate your feedback. The next time you are in the area, we would love for you to stay with us again so that we can show you the quality of service you have rightfully come to expect from our brand. Thank you
Big Sky, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Embassy Suites by the Portland airport was awesome! We wanted a room with 2 queen beds instead of a King and called downstairs and they sent someone up right away who carried our luggage and moved us to a Queen. Every room is a suite with a "living room" with a large flat screen TV and there is a large flat screen in the bedroom too. The beds were very comfortable and the room was very clean. The food is good in the restaurant and the breakfast is INCREDIBLE. Omlettes made to order with a ton of toppings to choose from, warm muffins and cookies, tons of juices and coffee. It was the nicest breakfast spread and the fact that it's included is HUGE! The shuttle to the airport does laps al day long, so you're never waiting very long. Highly recommend! I booked it through Priceline, so for $60, I was happy!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Louise A
Glendale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

We don't like to stay near the airport, especially if we plan on several nights. However, the Embassy Suites Hotel at the Portland Airport was the only acceptable lodging available for four nights, including a weekend, in July. We were pleasantly surprised with the accomodations and with the gracious and thoughtful staff. Our luggage did not arrive on time, so the manager at the front desk offered to drive us to the airport to claim our luggage when it was available the next morning. Each morning we were given a choice of full breakfasts. The omelette chef was outstanding! It was a pleasure to watch him make his creations and then delightful to eat them. The evening cocktail hour was a welcome treat after a long day of sightseeing. A trio provided live music on Monday night. Our only disappointment was with the cleaning staff. Although we requested clean towels, they were not all replaced, and our water glasses were not washed two days in a row. When we reported the problem, it was immediately corrected. The Embassy Suites is a very family friendly environment. If we didn't always travel as a couple, it would be higher on our list of preferred hotels.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Recently stayed with family in two rooms. Older parents had easy time with ramped walkways and spacious rooms with coffee, fridge & microwave. Airport shuttle, huge cooked-to-order breakfast offering (with Starbucks coffee) as well as Manager's reception (get the family of four pack of cheeseburgers) are an exceptional value. Had an issue with initial reservation that was quickly and professionally handled by Jim Dobson. Clean, updated gym and pool area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family