“Am torn about this place... animal urine smel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport
Ranked #51 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We planned to stay here for two days while our hardwood floors were repaired. The staff was friendly upon arrival. The room I was assigned, however, smelled strongly of old cat urine. I found a circular spot in the carpet in the corner. I called downstairs and was told that the hotel was booked, so they couldn't move me. There was no operable window and I couldn't even find an A/C unit, although I am sure there was one.

I then went downstairs to the main desk to see if they could book us in another embassy hotel in Portland. The gentleman said that all of the hotels were booked for the night, but he could switch my room for me (not sure why the first woman said they couldn't - that does not reflect well on them).

He put me into another room without any fuss and was very nice about it. When I got into that room, it too smelled like old animal urine, but not as badly as the last place. My husband and I turned the a/c on and just decided to bear it.

By the time I woke up in the morning, I knew that I couldn't stand another night there, so my husband called to see if we could check out without incurring the fee. Because we were not happy with the room, the woman gladly waived the fee. She was also very nice about it when we came down to check out.

The room itself, minus the strong urine smell, was nice. The bed was pretty comfortable, the furniture was new, and even being by the elevator was not very loud. The bartender who served the late night dinners was very nice...

So, the staff and the facilities are great. The over-powering smell of animal urine is not so much.

I recommend that the hotel designate a floor as animal friendly and give guests the option to check into animal-free rooms. As an animal owner myself, I know that with cat urine, in particular, there is really no way to clean it.

Room Tip: Check your room for odors before checking in.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Jim D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Iwas disappointed to hear about your recent experience at our hotel. Our team would like to invite you to return as our guests on your next visit to Portland. You can just Email me @ jim.dodson@jqh.com & I will delighted to take provide your complimentary stay.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Needing to catch a plane leaving at 6am would have required that we leave our house at 3 AM! Also, hate to depend on a shuttle, but then there is leaving your car parked in extended parking. So, stayed over night and bought the Park and Fly option. Room very clean, in good repair. Of course a bit noisy earlier in the evening, but with my trusty ear plugs not a problem. I'm fussy about my bed and it was wonderful! Glad we chose this route. Good value!

Room Tip: One facing away from the road might cut down a bit on noise. But it's really not bad at all.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jdearmond

We were glad to hear you were pleased with your recent Park & stay with us. We strive to provide a great experience for all our guests & our team was excited to know your feedback.
With warm regards

Reviewed 15 May 2013

It was a great experience for the whole family. We always enjoy our stay here. We enjoy the breakfast and the kids enjoy the pool. We have stayed in Embassy Suites across the country and this one compares favorably with the others

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

We are excited to hear that your family enjoyed there recent stay with us. Our team is very focused on insuring your family & all our guests have a great experience here at the Embassy suites Portland Airport.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

A little more Expensive then what I am used to. But a beautiful place to stay. Clean and Comfortable, and the Breakfast mmmmmm. It is Close to many things. The only draw back is that the POOL and Spy was closed for repairs, and I so wanted a nice SWIM, maybe next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

We really appreciate your candid feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. Please accept our apology for the pool being out of service. We just completed a complete resurfacing of both the pool & jetted pool & refreshed the paint as well. We hope you will give Our hotel & pools another try.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I always stay here (either together or separately - that's how much we like the property) if we have an early flight out. It is close to the airport, staff is friendly, and airport shuttle is on demand. It is a great park and fly location. The restaurant and room service are good and dependable.

They recently (I think) added a feature called "premium" - I upgraded for 20$ and it included wifi access and "credenza access" - the credenza on the 8th floor is stocked with non-alcoholic beverages (including red bull, juice, waters, etc) and snacks (chex mix, chips, fruit, candy, trail mix etc). I'm not sure if the upgrade was worth it for a single traveller but for a family or a couple the snacks/beverages may be worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Jim D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We love hearing from our guests, you are the reason we are here. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Unless I have errands that warrant a more expensive stay downtown, I usually stay here whenever I'm in Portland. It's convenient as it offers a shuttle to/from the airport. It's a good value with a buffet breakfast every morning. The buffet offers toast, pastries, yogurts, hot oatmeal, fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages, potatoes, juices and coffee. You can even get your eggs cooked to order. The only problem is that by the time you've made all the buffet stops, you're food is cold. My husband and I have tried all kinds of tricks but so far nothing seems to work. Perhaps if the plates were warmed. There is a small gym with treadmills and ellipticals and a pool next door. There are laundry facilities and a business center available too. It can get a little noisy on the weekends but it's usually quiet by bed time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

We really appreciate when you let us know how our team performed for you during your recent stay. I wanted to let you know we just completed a resurfacing of our 2 pools & we are installing new fitness equipment tomorrow.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

the upgraded floor suites were very sweet, first time for everything will do it again, the Hilton Honors program has been a valuable travel tool to build credibility throughout the Hilton Hotel chain, this was the first embassy suites I stayed at and will definately book again

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

We are excited to hear you like our new Premium Floor. Our team is continuing to work with the Embassy Suites Brand to find new ways to enhance our guests experience.