“Perfect in Portland!”

Ranked #3 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Halifax, Canada
“Perfect in Portland!”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

What a beautiful and charming hotel! Absolutely fabulous stay in a gorgeous heritage hotel. Staff were very friendly, enthusiastic, and full of suggestions of how to enjoy our time in the city. I only wish we could have stayed longer! the beds are heavenly. Furniture and decor is beautiful, unique, and quite inspired. I loved the cornflower blue common areas and the oriental inspired furnishings of the lobby, it is quite unlike any other hotel I have seen recently. Even the parking garage was beautiful! We ordered room service and everything was delicious and healthy! The resturant is amazing too. I honestly cannot think of any critcisms of this hotel. Well done, can't wait to come back!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
Dallas
Reviewed 17 June 2011

From beginning to end, this was a delightful visit thanks to Portland's Hotel Monaco. We took the train from the airport, walked two blocks and arrived at the hotel. The room was large and comfortable. Everyday I took advantage of the wine happy hour from 5pm to 6pm with chef's specialties as appetizers. The hotel allows dogs, which was a bit of a surprise, but they never caused a problem, even though they roamed freely during happy hour. The concierge was extremely helpful in directing us to locations within walking distance and the front desk always had a friendly smile and greeting. I will certainly return to this hotel again should I find myself in Portland.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My mother and I stayed four nights at this hotel, and we loved it. I had stayed at other Kimpton Hotels, so I knew I liked this particular hotel chain; however, I was really surprised by how attentive and helpful the staff was, even before we got there. A few days before our arrival, I received an email from a member of the Hotel Monaco staff, asking if I had any special requests and notifying me of potential traffic delays because of the annual Rose Parade. The hotel confirmed our dinner reservations for us and even sent us a dessert and after-dinner drinks at one of the restaurants. The rooms were spacious and the beds were really comfortable. I loved this hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Spokane, WA
Reviewed 16 June 2011

If you are headed to Portland OR, then the Hotel Monaco Portland should be your destination hotel. Located in the heart of downtown Portland, the service - from dropping your car, to the front desk, to your room - is simply the best. It has become our home away from home, and when we want to get away from where we live, we stay at thePortland Monaco. Not only can you drive your car down a ramp and know just where it will be safely housed, but there's a wine reception - and all staff come to know you by name. We can walk to all of our favorite places, or take the MAX - light rail transit. Whether we take our car, or fly into Porland, t is our favorite hotel - anywhere.

Room Tip: the king corner rooms are our favorite!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Just returned from northwest vacation where my wife and stayed here three nights. Large rooms (550 sf), great coffee in the morning, central location near sights/transportation, beautifully decorated, comfortable lobby, friendly/helpful staff, historic building (former department store) with modern amenities. It was all good.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed in a lovely corner room. Staff was very helpful and appreciative of the business. The best part of the stay was the wine reception every evening. Friendly guests and staff made the reception fun and welcoming after a long day of business.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Arrived here on Memorial Day 2011 after flying in from West Coast. Check in was quick and we were told about the wine reception that was currently taking place in the lobby. Grabbed a glass of wine and took it up to the room to unpack.

Restaurant was not open since it was a holiday. Room service was offered until 10pm, but we opted to go out for a meal. The front desk receptionist was very helpful and gave multiple recommendations. She even logged onto a reservation system and secured reservations for us at Oba, a restaurant about 13 (short) blocks away.

Bedding was very comfortable and the bathroom was well laid out. Instead of individual bottles of shampoo/etc., they had a wall-mounted dispenser. I know some people might not like that, but I prefer it myself. It's certainly "greener".

Their fitness area was a pleasant surprise. Not huge, but not as small as I expected it to be. About 4 ellipticals and a couple of treadmills. Weigh machines too. They also have a fridge with bottles of water in it.

Wifi is free if you are a member (or sign up) for their frequent stay program.

PS: Expect to see dogs. They even have an on-site pooch.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business